mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-03-2007, 06:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

magic box mags???

Ok I am happy to say the automag is one marker I have never owned (ok before all the flaming starts I was there when the L4-5's came out and they put me right off) Anyway as a result I am a mag noob,a friend has a load of old mag's (all are L7) and some are magic box mags, ok can eveyone tell me about them are they better then a normal mag will they run on Co2 etc etc etc what sort of price could I expect to pay for a splash coat one whats, the differnece with the bodies (this one has a rail built along the top.

cheers in advance

Grant
foldadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
terrible speller

Send a message via AIM to knightmare96

Co2 is fine, you will see some shoot down. The magic box does nothing, so forget about it. Mags are steel, so you cannot anodize them. Powder coating is your best option. Or you can find an old Smart Parts Splash kit, that just adds useless aluminum parts to the gun that are already splashed to give it that old-school feel. Which is fine if thats what you are going for.

For the record when the Automag was first released it did have several problems but the company fixed them through free updates called Level 6 through Level 7. There was no real Level 4-5, and even if you had a first release mag, it was free to get it updated.

Last edited by knightmare96; 08-03-2007 at 09:31 AM.
knightmare96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quick run down on the Magic Box... Smart Parts Up grade for use with CO2... it was kind of a gimmick/cheater upgrade in that I believe it acted as sort of a by-pass around the reg into the valve so you could get shoot hot. Some one here can confirm or correct that, but I'm pretty sure that was the gist of that mod.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fair Weather Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to angelpena Send a message via Skype™ to angelpena

Yeah magic boxes are just hype, cool if you like the look of a big hunk of metal on the side of your marker.

Mags are going pretty cheap now, and you can expect to pay less than$150 for a level 7 mag with a few accessories, splash parts add MAYBE $50 to the price,

Running CO2 is fine on the older mags, and an expansion chamber, and anti-syphon, will help to prevent freezing, I haven't had much problem with shootdown on CO2, but I don't try and shoot volume. AND I have recently gone back to a level 7, after using level 10's for a while. No noticeable difference so far....

Old 08-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

The Magic Box was supposed to be some sort of high volume, low pressure set up. Some people swear by them, most people think it's worthless...at least apart from being a collectors item.

Any "classic" 'Mag will run CO2 just fine as long as you take normal steps to keep liquid out of the valve. Going remote, anti syphon tubes, expansion chamber...any one or a combination should work. Classic valves are the ones you want for CO2, they're stainless and say either 68Automag on the side for the older ones, or Automag Classic on the side for newer ones.

Shootdown was never really a problem except for really old ones. I never had a problem and mine is 12 years old.

OKay...first off, splashed parts *are* old school. They haven't made splashed parts for 'Mags in a while. I know Eclipse won't make any more parts, they took too long to make (too many steps and too much hand work) and were expensive. Anyway, they didn't add useless parts per se, they took parts and splash anodised them...some you need to make the gun work, like a rail, and some you don't, like a foregrip. Basically, any aluminum part was available splashed...ASA, trigger frame, barrel, expansion chamber, sight rail etc. They made a bunch of different color combos so putting together a full kit can be a bit of a pain these days, but not overly so.

I'm not sure what kind of body you have with a rail on top...maybe a stock body with an after market sight rail? You do know that you also have 2 sight rails along the sides of the regular rail too right? lol. Does it look something like this...

Anyway, 'Mags are great guns and I hope you get one and use it well. I'll take a 'Mag over a Tippmann or a Spyder any day.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Magic boxes are sort of novelty collector's items now. No point removing them, but the performance value is questionable.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

cheers guys, good to know about the magic box, ( i have no experince with them)
as for <l7 bolts all I can say is although it was around 15 years ago a bunch of guys here got mags pre order? pre production? dunno but they all had critical problems we all had local made jabbs which way out performed them, which just put me off,)

Het Jaan the body is similar (but a 2 finger mech) the rail comes to a point over the valve/tourney lock, and the fore grip (which is matched to the rail/barrel/grip frame) is not an expansion chamber just a fore grip, I will try and go round his place and get some pics.

cheers Grant
foldadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Mags are one of my favorite guns.

I've never had problems with shootdown, and run Co2 with an antisiphon, or HPA....

Walker

Nelson Owner's Group
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

I love the scary warning on the Magic Box. "Do not tamper with, or it will void warranty". SOmething like that.

What complex, high-tech secrets are inside the magic box? A single 1/8" peice of pipe, found at every hardware store for $1.

Clever.

nick

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fair Weather Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to angelpena Send a message via Skype™ to angelpena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I love the scary warning on the Magic Box. "Do not tamper with, or it will void warranty". SOmething like that.

What complex, high-tech secrets are inside the magic box? A single 1/8" peice of pipe, found at every hardware store for $1.

Clever.

nick
Has no one dared to "Void the Warranty"?

since it is turning into a pic thread.....

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts