mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Palmers Micro Rock question

I'm setting up a mech Ion in an unconventional way and I need a small reg. The Palmers Micro Rock Reg seems to be the perfect solution for me. I understand that the fitting aren't normal, don't worry about that (I've got that figured out already). All I want to know is will this reg function well on it's own as a primary reg? I will be running it on CO2, as I understand it this reg is good for CO2 as well. Thanks for the help!
daedrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
It's a LPR - so I wouldn't suggest attempting to use it as a type of HPR at all. Get a Stabilizer with a LP kit - it's going to end up working better for you in the long run.

If you decide to go ahead anyways, don't use the Micro Rock. They don't have the pressure relief valve like the full size Rocks do, so using CO2 is not advisable. If you get liquid into the Micro Rock, it won't bleed off extra pressure.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. The full size Rocks say " Recomended for use with unregulated CO2 power source" on their webpage. so I'm a little confused about that. I've only ever seen them used as a secondary reg. It's going on an Ion, so the operating pressure is supposed to be sub 200 psi. Would a HPR still be best for that? I've only ever used tippmanns and basic automags before, so I'm kind of new to worry about regulator choices.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedrian View Post
Thanks for the info. The full size Rocks say " Recomended for use with unregulated CO2 power source" on their webpage. so I'm a little confused about that. I've only ever seen them used as a secondary reg. It's going on an Ion, so the operating pressure is supposed to be sub 200 psi. Would a HPR still be best for that? I've only ever used tippmanns and basic automags before, so I'm kind of new to worry about regulator choices.
Like I said, the full size Rock has an overpressure relief valve - so if you're using an old-school Cocker with no reg and CO2, that's the LPR to use. If you get liquid into it, it'll bleed off and won't blow all your hoses off with a pressure spike.

I would suggest a Stabilizer with a LP kit in it - makes it a lot easier to adjust in the sub-200 psi range. You can probably find one on here for around $50.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Radical!

Micro Rock is not designed as a stand-alone reg. It takes the reduced pressure coming from the primary reg (hpr) and reduces it further, but it's not built to take pressure directly from the tank.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

OK, does that mean that the full size Rock can't be used a primary either? Using a full size reg complicates what I'm trying to do. The Rock regulators having a 10-32 output allows me to screw the banjo directly into it, which is great for what I'm trying to do. I will have to buy and tap a cap or something to use a full size reg.

Last edited by daedrian; 05-14-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Micro Rock Regulator [PPSP033] - $52.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something

Quote:
Micro Rock, same performance and reliability as the venerable Rock regulator but no relief valve.

OD: 0.875" (7/8")
Length: 2.3"
Output: 10-32 female
Input: 1/8" npt 27 male
Max input psi: 1500
Psi out: 0-300
Weight: 2.5 oz
Automag people use Rocks for pneumags all the time taking pressure from the tank.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Radical!

I would not expect that of an lpr. Quite interesting.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

So... what does that mean for me? Can I use it as a primary reg on an Ion?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

NO!

The Rock and Micro rock DO NOT have an output made for the kind of flow you need. THey are designed to be used with an autococker to actuate the ram. Also.. the plumbing on them isn't set up for what you want. The input side is 1/8" NPT (NOT asa/tank threaded) and the output side is a teeny tiny barbed fitting for low pressure hose.

If you want a primary reg, get a Stabilizer.
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts