mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
CxT
Rec Poster

insert sizing and underboring

How do you size for inserts? As basic of a question as it sounds, I'm wondering because the local field paint for me is Empire Custom blend (actually its all the fields I play at... Defcon and Georgina both use it.). I've never really cared about paint sizing until now (when I got my phantom), and realized that the paint's not very round at all. On the wider axis we're looking at 0.686+, ie. won't roll out the stock barrel. However, the narrow axis runs down to about 0.681.

How would you underbore for that?

I read from Bryce and the underboring tests that you shouldn't exeed 0.007-8" or else you get break issues, but is that along the narrower axis of paint? If that's the case then I can easily get away with a 0.675 for almost all my games; but if I have to be concerned about the wider axis as well, I'm probably looking to get a 0.678 or even a 0.680.

Thanks for your help guys!
CxT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Anybody at your field with an insert system or eigen barrel? you could ask them if they have any problems with using small bores. Also do you have the inserts yourself then trial and error could find out what the smallest you can go is. I would try getting as close to the small size as possible and see if you have a problem with breaks or not.

kinda funny though that your paint is that wacky.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Use the blow test to size, then use an insert 1 step down. That's what I do.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
CxT
Rec Poster

Closest to an insert system for me, are the detent rings. No one I know of (or seen) uses inserts. I'm just curious and wondering if I underbore for the narrow axis, will it cause problems if the ball for instance rolls along the wider axis? I have not had break issues with the 0.681" ring, but that's for a tiny ring vs. a full 5" control bore...

As to the wacky paint, I was semi surprised that I had TWO fields that are at least 100km away (georgina's over an hour drive away, defcon's 10 minutes), with different fill colours and shell colours have the same out-of-round problems. Granted they're the same Empire "custom blend", I wasn't expecting it to have the same issue despite the completely different fills and shell colours.

It was funny because I was testing and decided to try the Auto trigger at the end of a 12g, and ended up plowing 10 balls into the barrel instead (the thing had enough to cock, but not enough to shoot the first ball...). The stupid thing that followed was that the FIRST and LAST ball were big enough to stick in the barrel (0.686), and took considerable force to blow them out. The rest in the middle... small enough to roll through, and just fit through the 0.681 detent on the thin axis.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Use the blow test to size, then use an insert 1 step down. That's what I do.
Similar, but I go 2 steps down. If I know I'm only playing pump and I have time the night before, I use Alpha's sorter.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
CxT
Rec Poster

alright, picking up a DW with a 0.675" Al insert for the time being..

aside from barrel breaks, is there any other issue with too severe of an underbore (or is easily identified)? I plan on seeing how well the Al insert holds up before grabbing a Ty brass insert.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Not really. Maybe you might have some issue with some nelson type guns where the bolt won't seat into the barrel, but I've never had that.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts