mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Dremel tool?

I've considered getting a dremel many times before. What exactly can they do? Can you do your own mills with one? I'm a diy guy and I love doing projects on markers and I was just curious if a dremel would be a good investment. I already have plenty grinders, polishing tools etc in the garage.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hello, try creating a account on http://www.instructables.com/ it is a DIY site, and has a few home built milling with cnc or with out. Its a great place for projects or just ideas. Most everything has instructions in PDF. Plus prize contest you can enter for posting your project dyi. Try it and good luck ! Eric

Last edited by CaptainAmerica; 10-01-2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: fixed url
john137bonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sorry I forgot about this link, vanda-layindustries.com they have the set up that may help you also! Eric
john137bonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTexan View Post
I've considered getting a dremel many times before. What exactly can they do? Can you do your own mills with one? I'm a diy guy and I love doing projects on markers and I was just curious if a dremel would be a good investment. I already have plenty grinders, polishing tools etc in the garage.
What a dremel do? cut, polish, grind, carve and more with much more precision than the bigger tools, but it is for the small details that you need it.

You can build a DIY mill, with a dremel at it core, but it would work only with wood and plastics.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Dremels are commonly used to devalue and ruin paintball guns.

They're pretty useful. Probably not much good for milling but nice to have for small tasks. With some patience, planning and a steady hand you can do a lot with them.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

Dremel's are awesome, but make sure to get a "Dremel" mototool, not a crappy off brand rotary tool.

I own a couple Dremel's, They will come in handy for more than you know, and aren't really that expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
Get one with the flex shaft attachment and a good carrying case that'll hold all the accessories.

They're a light duty, fairly precise tool for (as others have mentioned) grinding, polishing, milling, or cutting small areas.

If you want more precision, look at Proxxon and Foredom which will be smoother.

I recently bought a Dremel 4000 and have used it for a number of small jobs around the house. Not sure how I lived without it now.

Job 1 was stripping a Nelspot 007 completely down to bare metal using radial polishing discs. Job 2 was same on brass doorbell buttons that had about a hundred years and multiple coats of paint on them.

Oh, Dremels are great for doing things like removing grout for tile repairs, drilling tile for installing towel bars or curtain rods etc.

As long as you realize it's for small jobs and don't try to sand down an entire Ford F150 with it, you're good.

Also: you CAN do milling with a Dremel but what most people fail to do is build the appropriate tool holders or jigs for such jobs, which is why they turn out awful.
QFT.

To add, the milling can be successfully done but you have to realise the limitations of the machine. I've seen guys do Aluminium just fine, but it is much, and I mean like aeons, longer than a proper purpose built machine. I used mine with the felt polishing tips to give a mutt of a Sheridan a mirror finish.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

I need my dremel. YOU NEED A DREMEL....EVERY ONE NEEDS A DREMEL!!!

Seriously, the things that would be agonizing to accomplish with out mine. SHEESH!

Hands down one of the best investments I have ever made.

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
A dremel is a microscopic freehand mill. You can do some amazing things with it but you need to understand its limitations and your limitations.

Some things ive made with a dremel.
Eye covers for amg.

Slot on feedtube for dsg.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Polishing sears and other running surfaces. Cutting off standard screws to match the odd length needed for a particular body and frame. Grinding and re-polishing the stainless flatware your family drops in the running disposal.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts