mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deluxe super psychedelic

Brass N Wood Fan
Tpx performance upgrades that are worth it

I used my tpx seriously for the first time this weekend and while I like it I'm a little dissatisfied.

The thing breaks balls way more often than im comfortable with. It's to the point that I'm unsure when I go to make a shot if a ball will fly put of the barrel or just spray. However, it's a huge improvement over when I was using the 8 rnd mags, but still not reliable.

I'm also dissatisfied with the efficiency nsomeone at the field mentioned the techt spring kit for that, but i would appreciate opinions on if it actually works.

Thanks!

Photo blog: http://bluemorocco.blogspot.com/
If you are straight with me, I am straight with you : http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Created by Shade, stolen from foughtwolf's sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatmaster12 View Post
If I didn't play pump I wouldn't play, simple as that.
wrongbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
freak the barrel and throw a remote line on the back?

I also haven't heard anything bad about the techt bolt, but the spring kit is a waste of time.

Also the iFit kit is a nice upgrade if you can afford it, but it's not a huge boost to efficiency due to the small length of a control bore.

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Any problems with freak-boring the barrel? I thought there were some issues about the bolt getting stuck...
Old 11-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongbloke View Post
I used my tpx seriously for the first time this weekend and while I like it I'm a little dissatisfied.

The thing breaks balls way more often than im comfortable with. It's to the point that I'm unsure when I go to make a shot if a ball will fly put of the barrel or just spray. However, it's a huge improvement over when I was using the 8 rnd mags, but still not reliable.

I'm also dissatisfied with the efficiency nsomeone at the field mentioned the techt spring kit for that, but i would appreciate opinions on if it actually works.

Thanks!
I haven't broken a ball in my TPX in over a year. What paint are you using? Does your TPX have all the factory upgrades from Tippmann? I can't comment on the TechT kit. Agent Smith told me don't bother with that since all it did was mash paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
freak the barrel and throw a remote line on the back?

I also haven't heard anything bad about the techt bolt, but the spring kit is a waste of time.

Also the iFit kit is a nice upgrade if you can afford it, but it's not a huge boost to efficiency due to the small length of a control bore.
If you freak the barrel you have to get the bolt turned down as well or just don't use an insert smaller than .687 as the bolt will get stuck in the barrel.

If you want a barrel kit get the Python kit. It is the same as the iFit kit just $100 cheaper. I got mine for $65 shipped. You can ask for different sized inserts for the Python kit just call and ask them to swap out the two large size bores for their two smallest bores.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deluxe super psychedelic

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
I haven't broken a ball in my TPX in over a year. What paint are you using? Does your TPX have all the factory upgrades from Tippmann? I can't comment on the TechT kit. Agent Smith told me don't bother with that since all it did was mash paint.
field paint at my field is the dxs they make special for particular fields. Usually it's sub .675, but this weekend it was around .679. I have all the factory upgrades.

Photo blog: http://bluemorocco.blogspot.com/
If you are straight with me, I am straight with you : http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Created by Shade, stolen from foughtwolf's sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatmaster12 View Post
If I didn't play pump I wouldn't play, simple as that.
wrongbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongbloke View Post
field paint at my field is the dxs they make special for particular fields. Usually it's sub .675, but this weekend it was around .679. I have all the factory upgrades.
Do you know if others were having troule with the paint.

Last two games I have played, completely different field and paint, have both been awful.

If it's an old one make sure you have the bumper washer upgrade, this could bounce back the bolt and pinch paint if it's a bad one.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
"Fidget"

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Ive shot more then 4 cases through my TPX this summer and only broke 7 or 8 balls and they were all in the barrel.

Heck when I rebuilt my tpx after the 2nd case of paint I forgot to turn the velocity adjuster down and chronoed at over 550..
shot 20 or so balls through it like that for fun(was a waste 6-7 shots per 12gram) but even then I didnt break paint with it.

I shoot graffiti and its about .682ish

Im currently using a freak bored barrel with the techt bolt(bolt cant be turned down because of the rubber bolt head and my bolt never gets stuck, even in my .677 insert.) All tippmann upgrades, few home brew mods.

I did notice last year tho when I bought cheap paint or was shooting dimpled old paint that It would break sometimes.

MCB FEEDBACK

4G010H3R0'S WTB THREAD

Facebook Page
4G010H3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
over the spring/summer i switched from a tiberius 8.1 to my current TPX. ive got several cases through it at this point. ive never broken a ball. ive used DXS rec sport, premium, and valken graffiti and redemption.

as far as efficiency, how many shots are you currently getting off of a 12g? and what type of 12g's are you using? i use lelands and get about 3 1/2 mags off a 12g in the spring/summer.

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G010H3R0 View Post
Im currently using a freak bored barrel with the techt bolt(bolt cant be turned down because of the rubber bolt head and my bolt never gets stuck, even in my .677 insert.) All tippmann upgrades, few home brew mods.
This is really good to know. I would really like to pick up the techt bolt for my freaked TPX but didn't know if it would play nice with the inserts. Also, when you upgraded the bolt did you leave the stock spring in or are you using one from the TechT spring kit?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

No matter how good they've gotten, mag-feds are ALWAYS rougher on paint than other guns. It's a big part of the reason why I stuck with the Zeus after fighting with the Tiberius line and TPX several times (I've owned 6 Tibs and at least 4 TPX's). Part of your problem could be the balls sticking together in the stack if you're going for a relatively long time between when you load them and when you use them, especially if the humidity is really high. Also, absurdly small paint might be allowing the 2nd ball in the stack to get clipped by the bolt, the Tippmann tongue-detent does allow some amount of roll-forward to occur.

For more cheap/effective TPX mods, see the link in my sig. Ultimately though, if you want a pistol that's reliable across pretty much any field paint you can feed it- I have to say to look for a Zeus. I honestly cannot recall over the past 3 years having ever chopped a ball with mine.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts