mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #41 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
.. It has shot 270fps since the day I bought it. I've never even adjusted the FPS, or changed any seals in almost 20 years!
/thread. damn.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #42 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Of course it's subjective. While there may be a worst blow-back, I don't think there is a true best blow-back - some people just like the feel of Gun-X over Gun-Z.

I never got to shoot a MegaZ, but it does look very nice - other than the Tippmann/Stingray style velocity adjustment. It's simple and it works great, but I've never been in love with that system. That said - it's a pretty sweet gun (anybody in Atlanta have one I can try out?)

Since you brought up mags, cockers, etc... I'll mention that my Desert Fox has never needed any tweeking or adjustments. I don't even mess with the velocity much - as long as I have the right paint-to-barrel match. I will admit to adding a Palmer reg and an Empire barrel kit - but it didn't need it to work, I just got a mild case of "gadget-itice". But the add-ons did provide a modest improvement (mostly somewhat improved velocity consistancy from the reg and lower noise from the barrel).

Yeah, the stingray was clunky - and HAD to be modded to make it a really fun gun. And Yeah, the first generation of the Spyder sucked but they got much better (some would say great - but I'm not in that group). The high-end blow-back marked got hit with the Spyder like the High-end electro market got hit with the Ion (well, mostly). The parallels between the Ion and the Stingray are actually pretty amusing. But then I don't do electros. I've tried them and found them very "meh". I would rather wear a Rolex than a Casio any day - even if the Casio has more functions.

Old ICD's are built like aircraft components, and being an aircraft guy, I respect that. I also like the fact that the Cats can run off liquid or gas (all you do is make an adjustment to the recock screw). I have seen many other guns (not just Spyders) where the owner has had to cut the main spring on a hot day to get the dang thing to chrony, then could not get it above 240 on a cooler day (the stingrays fixed this with the "two-penny" trick) - the adjustment screws on the Cats seem to eliminate such issues.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #43 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

In terms of build quality I'd say AT shadow. I've used spyder, piranhas, ras intruder, rebel and various other clones. The shadow is pretty impressive for a blowback which are usually pretty cheap. Have not handled a mokal or ICD so I don't know if they are better.
Reality Compromised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #44 (permalink)
ton up boy

Im gonna go with Inferno, genuine british quality.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
baader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #45 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
Shockingly, I am going to go with the Mega-Z, for all the reasons HP said. Yes, I might be a lot biased.

Feedback
tarakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Was there ever a reasonable solution to sear wear with Montneels? I have been hesitant to buy another as my Z-1 was on the way out when I bought it.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #47 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
Was there ever a reasonable solution to sear wear with Montneels? I have been hesitant to buy another as my Z-1 was on the way out when I bought it.
The current best solution is to cannibalize RentalZs for the sear. They also have a few other good parts. Bacci is selling RentalZ sears for $5, which is pretty cheap insurance to have an extra in your gear bag.

Other users have talked about making a batch of new ones over the years, but it never ends up happening. The issue is that the factory used exotic hardened high-carbon steel for the sears. Not a cheap process to make them, especially if you are making one at a time.

And thats a issue for Perry at KTooling. He is willing to make a batch.. but only for $150 each!

Granted... the solution that Montneel used was... to make the sear easy to replace. Takes only seconds to swap it out! lol Does no good if you don't have any extra.

I was successfull in using a spyder grip years ago, but thats definetly not a drop-in process.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #48 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Do Rental sears have the same shape as the Mega sears? If I remember correctly the Mega-Z sears were sloped to be faster?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #49 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
Do Rental sears have the same shape as the Mega sears? If I remember correctly the Mega-Z sears were sloped to be faster?
No. They have the standard Z1 shape, so slightly longer pull.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #50 (permalink)
brassmage and necrotech

pmi-3... bought mine 20 years ago, still works great, haven't changed a seal on it yet (jinxing myself?), though of course that's the beginning of the 'blowback era'.

looking for: working ATS preferably with straight asa, brass sheridan donors/bits, vert feed micromag/ule body, green/camo SP wood grips for cf frames

happy with me? http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
chplnstone is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts