mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   removing old paint (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/221266-removing-old-paint.html)

i-bunker-u 12-16-2012 04:21 PM

removing old paint

ok so I have a q pod I purchased along with some other stuff and it is caked full of old paint ..... but wait ..... this isn't just any old paint .... it was forged by saruman in the depths or mordor using pure evil and the tears of children. So far I have tried .... hot soapy water (boat load of dawn), industrial strength degrease, and even rubbing alcohol. After an hour with a scrub brush it is only semi clean. everything just beads of this stuff and it is super sticky.

Any ideas?

saintnoir 12-16-2012 05:10 PM

simple green a nice 50/50 mix of water and a soak in it.A full strength bath is what i use to strip mixed metal and pewter miniatures of the enamel model paint i find on used ones i buy all the time.24 hours in it and a toothbrush and there stripped plastic undamaged and metal squeaky clean

DocsMachine 12-16-2012 05:59 PM

Be careful with cleaners like Simple Green or that Purple stuff. Their "active ingredient" is sodium hydroxide, the same stuff we use in higher concentrations to strip off old anodizing.

Scrubbing the parts with Green/Purple and rinsing afterward shouldn't be a problem, but I would NOT leave them to soak for more than at best a couple of minutes.

Spray, scrub with a toothbrush, rinse. Repeat if necessary.

Doc.

saintnoir 12-16-2012 07:13 PM

never had a problem with 24 hour soaks of plastics,resin,or pewter in the six years or so ive been using it but ..ehh i could be wrong

Patar 12-16-2012 11:19 PM

yo if this stuff was forged in the heat of Mt. Doom then it couldn't hurt.

DocsMachine 12-16-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintnoir (Post 2564664)
never had a problem with 24 hour soaks of plastics,resin,or pewter in the six years or so ive been using it but ..ehh i could be wrong

-That's because the sodium Hydroxide doesn't attack most of those materials. It does, however, quite specifically attack anodizing- as I said, it's the exact chemical we use to deliberately strip anno before polishing or reanodizing.

And even a weak mixture, if left in long enough, can at least etch, 'bleach' or stain anno.

Which is why I said don't leave it to soak. It's fine for cleaning, just don't leave it in a bowl full of it overnight.

Doc.

PsychoDad 12-17-2012 12:02 AM

WD40 and a Mr.Clean magic eraser. Never failed me yet.

MIballer 12-17-2012 12:04 AM

hmmmmm. I would try some hot water and window cleaner mixture. Window cleaner contains ammonia which eats most organic **** and cuts greasy things really well. Im a resturant manager and I use it for oils spills from the friers.

i-bunker-u 12-17-2012 01:23 AM

forgot to say that wd40 didn't work

pillage 12-17-2012 01:27 AM

Hot water and soap.