mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

ion reg on co2

So I have a mech ion, otherwise all stock. Just wondering if any of you have experience with consistency of shooting one with regular non-anti-siphon co2. Probably would put a angled asa on there. Just looking for a lightweight setup for my wife that doesn't need a large hpa tank. I don't really want to get a 13cu either since the tiny amount of shots and having to pay $8 all day air for it to. A 9oz would give her plenty of shots.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
with non anti siphone that could get nasty. liquid CO2 would eat the seals in the reg and it won't have consistency at all especially on hot days. A great lightweight setup if you have one available is a 50/45 tank and couple it with a revvy on top and you're good to go. What I would recommend if you're going to run non anti siphone is look into a palmers stabilizer reg. They are built for C02 and will give you a consistent marker on it.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

thanks, that's what I needed to know. At this point my wife rarely plays and isn't super interested, but I want something light weight and inexpensive. So I'll probably pass on the hpa tank. I've got a two stab's on my cocker and blazer, but have't put co2 through them yet. Most of my tanks are out of date and my 7oz Sport's authority won't fill since it doesn't have a date stamp. Their policy even though it falls under the 2x2 rule.

perhaps I'll look into getting a fatty stabilizer for the ion.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
with non anti siphone that could get nasty. liquid CO2 would eat the seals in the reg and it won't have consistency at all especially on hot days. A great lightweight setup if you have one available is a 50/45 tank and couple it with a revvy on top and you're good to go. What I would recommend if you're going to run non anti siphone is look into a palmers stabilizer reg. They are built for C02 and will give you a consistent marker on it.
Which seals, exactly?
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via Yahoo to wd3d

Although I do not run C02 on my pump ion. I know a few people who do, and have not had any issues.
wd3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
T-T
MCB Member

Could get a vibe/SP-1/that range of guns reg. pressure relief valve built in for co2 use and is most probably cheaper and would fit with the aesthetics.
T-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Phone winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
Which seals, exactly?
The poppet seal and the base seal.

I run a vibe reg on one of my Impulses, and a 12 oz non anti-siphon tank. In winter. NO LPR. I have had 0 issues. The built in overpressure relief has never felt the need to release either.
El Super Beasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I guess if it works more power to ya . I'm just thinking that under somewhat higher rates of fire (say 8ps or more sustained) that you'd get issues with freezing and the reg might have a real issue with consistency at those ROF's if it's a slower paced game where you're shooting short 3 shot burts or just popping a round or 2 every 20-30 seconds then yea C02 is fine. i just figure why not put on a fatty stab on it and eliminate the issue entirely

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Phone winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
I guess if it works more power to ya . I'm just thinking that under somewhat higher rates of fire (say 8ps or more sustained) that you'd get issues with freezing and the reg might have a real issue with consistency at those ROF's if it's a slower paced game where you're shooting short 3 shot burts or just popping a round or 2 every 20-30 seconds then yea C02 is fine. i just figure why not put on a fatty stab on it and eliminate the issue entirely
True, I forgot to mention I use a pocket hopper and only shoot 2-3 bps max.

Last edited by El Super Beasto; 12-18-2012 at 12:24 PM.
El Super Beasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Just to add a few facts to the discussion.

If you're going to use CO2, it's recommended to use the Vibe / SP1 reg because, no matter which reg you use (to include Palmers), there is a reasonable chance that liquid will get past the reg and once it does, and warms up (from ambient air temps), it will first increase the chance of hot shot and if it gets warm enough, it will damage to the solenoid and, internal hoses. The Vibe/SP1 reg prevents this from happening through the use of a downstream overpressure bleed.

A 13/3K on an Ion platform should be good for about 100shots if you didn't know that already.

A 45/4.5K isn't heavy/bulky at all, a lot of women even prefer the 50ci models as they tend to be just the right size (in terms of bulk/length). However, a slimmer, smaller tank is on the horizon, just bug PaintballGateway.com to bring their pump / snake player's tank to market.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts