mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

How quiet can you make an Ion?

My younger brother is interested in getting into paintball after he gets out of the Navy about September next year.

One condition of him playing is to build him a custom marker for stealth and bunkering specifically.

Its been narrowed down to an Ion platform that I have planned for a mech build and will fit perfectly into the size and performance he is after.

So far the plan is to have it remote operated, remote line travels up a jacket from the arm to a reg and hpa tank, a warp feed next to the hpa tank feeds paint up and along side the remote line to the Ion. The Ion setup for mech is positioned along the arm and recessed for a longer barrel. A bar extends forward containing the valve and hoses to operate the marker. At the end of the bar is a handle like a fixed joystick with button on top to fire the marker.

In a sense, it will be an extremely light and compact arm mounted marker with force feed and the whole thing is meant to make you mobile for running/sneaking up without having to carry an actual marker.

2 things need to be as quiet as possible, the actual shot and the feed system into the warp feed (cant have bouncing paint).

Does anyone know the best barrels to silence the shots and a reliable feed to feed a warp feed that limits or prevents the paint from bouncing around.

Thanks.

http://walkons.proboards.com/index.cgi?

FS Custom 13/3000 Tank Covers Paracord $35
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ord-%2435.html
Orpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

You don't want to use a warp. They're LOUD and clunky and don't really reliably feed paint through long hoses. Plus the paint will ALWAYS bounce around in the hopped. Qloader is more your speed.

BTW, why mess with converting is to mech? Much easier to run a wire to a micro switch on a grip frame than worrying about pneumatic hose and such.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Isn't there a neoprene insert for ricochet hoppers to pad the inside so the balls rattling around don't make noise?

Moses688_Feedback
Moses688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
abandoned SCPer

CCM Fan
if you want to run mech you could just go for an eNMEy(basically a mech ion), eliminate bouncing paint with a stick feed, spring feed, or qloader.

after that the two things you could do would be to get a longer barrel with plenty of porting. I've also heard good things about the way hammerhead barrels redirect sound so that might be an option too.

or you could go with a stock class phantom!
Penarol10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
T-T
MCB Member

Maybe go for a springfeed on the gun rather than remote paint? Should be more reliable a lot simpler.

And you can make ions very quiet!
T-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaL View Post
BTW, why mess with converting is to mech? Much easier to run a wire to a micro switch on a grip frame than worrying about pneumatic hose and such.
Because it is just an ion upper and adding hoses plus a board and battery and everything else is too expensive and makes it one more thing that can break down. Run a couple hoses and a valve and call it good.

Besides, all the board really does is activate an electronic valve, go mech, make it simple/reliable.

The whole thing will essentially be a Ion Upper, barrel, and a small handle with a button trigger sitting towards the end of the barrel. An L-Shape.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
camocow200

With the right barrel a mach Ion is by far the most quiet marker i have ever had..I was running an evil pipe with .684 back and would let people dry fire it and have them guess what the FPS would be with a ball, 100 FPS would be guessed the most and how amazed they were to shoot it with ball and see it crono at 285 fps..

Ebay, camocow200 (880) 100% +
MCB 275 +
woouulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

I just thought if you already had the gun why not use what you have already.
I understand your point though. Definitely post a pic of your setup when it's finished. I really do think a q loader or spring feed would much better suit your purposes. Warps are cool but clunky.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

To echo JaKal, you will encounter problems using the warp feed. First of all, you need to make sure you have a power source with enough juice to get it working with that I imagine will be a long hose, much longer than any conventional warp setup. And you should be careful with the motor, that you don't burn it out (again, I just worry that because it will have to work extra hard it will put more stress on it than normal).

Besides issues with the power source and motor of the warp, as Jakal mentioned this is one of the loudest loader systems I've ever used. Although they almost certainly would be more complicated to use/setup than the warp, a Q-Loader is the only way to accomplish this sort of loader setup while being quiet. You might be able to muffle the warp feed's noisiness somehow, but it will make a bulky setup even more so.

A note about using the warp on a mech setup, one of the reasons they're so loud is because the detection system they use to feed ball. It's a sound sensor or motion sensor or something - so that basically, when not hooked up to the trigger pull electronically, will basically always be feeding unless your enviroment is totally quiet and you're not shooting or moving (basically the kind of situation that you rarely experience while playing paintball, especially for players who lean towards roles like front man who do a lot of bunkering). Using an electro-pneumatic stock/normal ion setup would be vastly superior in this sense, as you could hook the warp up to the ion's trigger switch/board to keep it from loading any balls unnecessarily, only when you pull the trigger.

Frankly, you've taken on a big project. I can't imagine any practical, certainly no "easy" way, to achieve your goals with what you'll be using - i.e. even if you can get the warp to work well with such a long hose working almost completely again gravity, and your power source is good and motor doesn't get over stressed or burn out, getting the warp to me remotely quiet is going to be quite the challenge - again especially if you're going to gun this setup as a mechanical ion.

In any case, good luck lol Not saying it's impossible! If you set your mind to doing this and are flexible and have access to whatever it is you end up needing, I'm sure you can succeed. Just very challanging, lol, but far from impossible. Let us know how things work out
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
To echo JaKal, you will encounter problems using the warp feed. First of all, you need to make sure you have a power source with enough juice to get it working with that I imagine will be a long hose, much longer than any conventional warp setup. And you should be careful with the motor, that you don't burn it out (again, I just worry that because it will have to work extra hard it will put more stress on it than normal).

Got a power source with enough juice (airsoft batteries), got a project warp feed, have tested it to feed rather high already, it was not that noisy. Only reason I am thinking warp feed is because I have had nothing but problems with a Q-loader. Otherwise the Q-loader would be my first choice. I may however revive my old project of a servo driven Q-pod an a type of auger drive and use something like a revy eye/board system on the Ion eye socket to control feed.

Besides issues with the power source and motor of the warp, as Jakal mentioned this is one of the loudest loader systems I've ever used. Although they almost certainly would be more complicated to use/setup than the warp, a Q-Loader is the only way to accomplish this sort of loader setup while being quiet. You might be able to muffle the warp feed's noisiness somehow, but it will make a bulky setup even more so.

Warp is the initial idea as described above, may or may not go with it, may just end up with a spring feed or something. May mod something else. Just have to see where it takes me but I got to start somewhere.

A note about using the warp on a mech setup, one of the reasons they're so loud is because the detection system they use to feed ball. It's a sound sensor or motion sensor or something - so that basically, when not hooked up to the trigger pull electronically, will basically always be feeding unless your enviroment is totally quiet and you're not shooting or moving (basically the kind of situation that you rarely experience while playing paintball, especially for players who lean towards roles like front man who do a lot of bunkering). Using an electro-pneumatic stock/normal ion setup would be vastly superior in this sense, as you could hook the warp up to the ion's trigger switch/board to keep it from loading any balls unnecessarily, only when you pull the trigger.

Bought one cheap awhile back for tinkering cause it was missing a bit, can always mod a bit. I can always let my brother look into making a new detection system (navy power plant computer/electronics tech) since this marker will be for him. I don't have a spare board and such for the ion, its just an upper and to me, I prefer to deal with electronics as little as possible.

Frankly, you've taken on a big project. I can't imagine any practical, certainly no "easy" way, to achieve your goals with what you'll be using - i.e. even if you can get the warp to work well with such a long hose working almost completely again gravity, and your power source is good and motor doesn't get over stressed or burn out, getting the warp to me remotely quiet is going to be quite the challenge - again especially if you're going to gun this setup as a mechanical ion.

Not any bigger than most my other projects lol. Sure it will be easy, just depends on your point of view, pneumatics and valve to a handle, remote air supply to reg and HPA, attach a feed, get an arm guard to mount the marker too.

In any case, good luck lol Not saying it's impossible! If you set your mind to doing this and are flexible and have access to whatever it is you end up needing, I'm sure you can succeed. Just very challanging, lol, but far from impossible. Let us know how things work out

I've just said what I have planned to start the project with, it does not mean that is what I will be using no matter what, its just the start point and if its like any of my other projects, I'll change the design a couple times till I find something that works.
Blue.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts