mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #31 (permalink)

I was told to be careful with used Ego's due to their QEV's.
MR_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #32 (permalink)

I believe that was a problem with the older eteks,because they would bust after about 20 cases.
paintballguy2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Made To

CCM Fan
I think 08 and after have no QEVs.

Boston Creepers
MCB Feedback
tlane77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
old but still playing

Send a message via MSN to Ranger 53

I used a mini for years with no problems and recently switched to an axe. The mini was my only compation marker and it worked very well. I upgraded the asa to make the removal of tanks easierbut still if I need a reliable marker for a quick game the mini comes out. I have had nothing but problems with both dp and proto rails.
Ranger 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #35 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlane77 View Post
I think 08 and after have no QEVs.
This, post '07 egos lack qev's. You can find used '08 egos for sub $400 easy. Great shooters if she likes poppet valve markers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #36 (permalink)
Click. Fwip. "OUT!"

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimag03 View Post
The Mini isn't a low end marker and it has better quality than many "high end" markers out today. The quality does show in the Mini, but in the opposite way you're talking about.

One fact speak volumes about the Mini. It's been in production since 2006. How many guns (especially electronic) have been manufactured for 7 straight years? Sure they updated it, but you can get the new parts for free from Empire.
umm....

Dye matrix (03 to now)
Smart Parts shocker (SFT (03) then NXT(07) produced till acquired by Kee action sports in 2010)
Ego (like 2k4?)
Eteks(close enough. 2006-7 if I remember correctly, but I probably don't)
Bob Long markers (another not there yet but getting close. I think. I'm no BL expert.)
CCM markers
Tippman (1998 and still arguably the most used paintgun in the world!)
CCI Phantom
Automags (almost every type.)
Autocockers
PGP
more that I can't think of ATM because of rage caused by misinformation.

I mean, take your pick. Most of the markers produced by these companies were actually UPGRADED (I know, that's a new thing for Mini fans. Crazy how that Empy Axe works right??? I guess those V1-3 changes helped alot when the solution was a whole new run.) every year they were produced. I'd list BL timmy's but they were only around for 5 years (and they still are sold, bought, and traded)

even more amazingly the Luxe is going on 7 years this year! 2008 to now.

Look, if you're going to buy a sub $500 marker, buy a used shocker, an empire axe, an FX, or an Etek3/4 (I have a 3 with a rampage oled board, zick2, and custom bolt. Cost me around $250 for the gun and $150 for the upgrades new.)

Don't bother with an etha. it's a cop-out attempt at what they did with the etek series. The Geos and Egos are the high end spoolie and poppet valve respectively, and the Etha and Etek are their realistically priced counterparts.

Possibly look for 08 or plus Ego's if you want to pony up a bit more, but I personally feel that the differences between the Ego and Etek series are minimal besides the board (which isn't even that good compared to aftermarket ones) and easy to upgrade things. They all shoot 12.5 burst ramping (Psp3)

There's a reason why the mini was replaced by the Axe. It needed it. Badly. I've teched maybe 3-4 times as many fubar'd Minis as I have Axes. The changes made are, in my humble opinion, a necessity. Also, Lurker PB makes a great upgrade set for the Axe that helps alot if you want a large performance boost for it. The redline board and battery upgrade is also really nice. A forewarning though, the gas through system is tricky the first time you self-tech it, so ask for help from a shop-tech and watch carefully.

Also, good for your daughter! props for getting the whole family playing. that is the future of paintball right there, the younger generations.

Much Madness is the divinest sense - Emily Dickenson
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds - Emerson

Last edited by Pdubs; 01-14-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Pdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #37 (permalink)
Click. Fwip. "OUT!"

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Oh, and Eteks don't have any QEVs....at all. unless you get the star frame upgrade, and those weren't the ones that bursted.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs View Post
umm....

Dye matrix (03 to now)
Smart Parts shocker (SFT (03) then NXT(07) produced till acquired by Kee action sports in 2010)
Ego (like 2k4?)
Eteks(close enough. 2006-7 if I remember correctly, but I probably don't)
Bob Long markers (another not there yet but getting close. I think. I'm no BL expert.)
CCM markers
Tippman (1998 and still arguably the most used paintgun in the world!)
CCI Phantom
Automags (almost every type.)
Autocockers
PGP
more that I can't think of ATM because of rage caused by misinformation.

I mean, take your pick. Most of the markers produced by these companies were actually UPGRADED (I know, that's a new thing for Mini fans. Crazy how that Empy Axe works right??? I guess those V1-3 changes helped alot when the solution was a whole new run.) every year they were produced. I'd list BL timmy's but they were only around for 5 years (and they still are sold, bought, and traded)

even more amazingly the Luxe is going on 7 years this year! 2008 to now.

Look, if you're going to buy a sub $500 marker, buy a used shocker, an empire axe, an FX, or an Etek3/4 (I have a 3 with a rampage oled board, zick2, and custom bolt. Cost me around $250 for the gun and $150 for the upgrades new.)

Don't bother with an etha. it's a cop-out attempt at what they did with the etek series. The Geos and Egos are the high end spoolie and poppet valve respectively, and the Etha and Etek are their realistically priced counterparts.

Possibly look for 08 or plus Ego's if you want to pony up a bit more, but I personally feel that the differences between the Ego and Etek series are minimal besides the board (which isn't even that good compared to aftermarket ones) and easy to upgrade things. They all shoot 12.5 burst ramping (Psp3)

There's a reason why the mini was replaced by the Axe. It needed it. Badly. I've teched maybe 3-4 times as many fubar'd Minis as I have Axes. The changes made are, in my humble opinion, a necessity. Also, Lurker PB makes a great upgrade set for the Axe that helps alot if you want a large performance boost for it. The redline board and battery upgrade is also really nice. A forewarning though, the gas through system is tricky the first time you self-tech it, so ask for help from a shop-tech and watch carefully.

Also, good for your daughter! props for getting the whole family playing. that is the future of paintball right there, the younger generations.
I should have asked how many markers have been produced for years with only minor tweaks, not huge changes. My point was that the Mini was ahead of its time and they continued to make Minis even after the upgraded version came out. They weren't "replaced by the axe". The only markers you listed that really meet the same criteria as the Mini are the Phantom, automag, autococker, and pgp. And that's some pretty good company if ya ask me.

I am curious why you think the Mini needed to be replaced by the Axe though? They hardly changed anything between the two. One had a microswitch while one uses an HES sensor (preference). The Mini does need a better trigger, and the Axe came with that better trigger. The on/off ASA offered no performance upgrade over the ASA on the Mini (preference).
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
Click. Fwip. "OUT!"

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimag03 View Post
I should have asked how many markers have been produced for years with only minor tweaks, not huge changes. My point was that the Mini was ahead of its time and they continued to make Minis even after the upgraded version came out. They weren't "replaced by the axe". The only markers you listed that really meet the same criteria as the Mini are the Phantom, automag, autococker, and pgp. And that's some pretty good company if ya ask me.

I am curious why you think the Mini needed to be replaced by the Axe though? They hardly changed anything between the two. One had a microswitch while one uses an HES sensor (preference). The Mini does need a better trigger, and the Axe came with that better trigger. The on/off ASA offered no performance upgrade over the ASA on the Mini (preference).
Trigger and On/off in my opinion.

Hall effects are nice, but you ask 99% of currently players and that microswitch with it's return is they're preference. The on/off helped more than you'd imagine, I tech quite a few mini's who've had their reg's somehow overpressurized from the constant pressure. It happens with my POPS sometimes as well. On/offs help to keep from popped o-rings, and with an internal line setup, it's not as easy as re-inserting the macroline. It's mainly the trigger though, his daughter wants to play speedball. Microswitches are the standard, and in case she wants to upgrade eventually, the ability to get a redline without some modification is nice. Also, the later in production line the marker (with electos), generally the better and less buggy they are.

Edit - DM8's don't count.
double edit! - Bolt. Bolt changes were quite important. They eliminated some bolt stick and kept a bit true-er to the automag design it's basically made from.

Last edited by Pdubs; 01-14-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #40 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
I honestly think the reg problems people have with Mini and Axes come from people never lubing them. Most don't know/realize that putting a few drops of oil in the ASA is part of regular maintenance to keep the reg happy.

I prefer the HES sensor after using it on my emag and opto switches on my Eclipse markers. A lot of people I know choose to use the opto switch over the microswitch on their Ego/Geo. The HES is arguably more reliable as well, as microswitches can wear out. It happened to my Trauma maxtrix and had crazy run-away bounce.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts