mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Red Dot Sights? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/223210-red-dot-sights.html)

toymachine 01-11-2013 01:11 AM

Red Dot Sights?

Remember those old Dye Izon or whatever they were called Red Dot Sights? I saw this on ebay, and it looks exactly the same: Silver 22 Pellet Paintball BB OEG Red Dot Armson Style Sight New $49 95 | eBay

Here's a pic if the sale ends and link doesn't work:

http://i.imgur.com/JYwU0.jpg

Anyways, anyone have experience with sights like this? I was thinking of getting this type of sight for use on a PG/PGP (finally found sight rail that'll allow me to mount dovetail sights like this). Specifically I was thinking of getting a Pro-Team/Armson "Max Duty Sight."

Tbh I have never really used sights for regular paintball guns. They just don't work well for me considering paintballs don't behave like bullets. Anyways, recently I tried using a sight with another stock class gun and found that it was helpful in a very few incidents. Really though I just think it'll look cool on my PG/PGP, to have a sight on a pump stock class pistol I mean, lol :rolleyes:

Your thoughts on these type of sights? Are there any other varieties/models of sights like this? The one pictured is super cheap, like less than $20, while the Armson sight is a bit more, like $70, so I want to make sure I get a worthwhile one, if I get one at all.

Do you think something like a ghost ring - specifically CCI's ghost ring with the bead in the center (if I got that manufacturer wrong, please forgive and correct me, but you know what I mean) - would work better than the sort of red dot sight I'm interested in?

Thanks for any and all help!

MIballer 01-11-2013 06:17 AM

its a weird sight as both eyes have to be open to work for the "izon" style sight also Dye is making them again, Your better off getting a regular red dot as the izon is mounted behind a feedneck but im not 100 percent sure if it works if there is no feedneck present.

Chachi 01-11-2013 07:36 AM

Those occluded(sp?) eye sights like the izon are pretty solid. I've used one on my SP-8 and my SP-1 (I modified mine with a 1" scope ring and some electrical tape to mount on a tac rail). depending on the ranges you typically engage at, it can be pretty damn good. They work regardless if they have a feedneck in front of them or not. If your gun does have a vertical feed, you're best going with this sort of sight instead of a typical red-dot, though, since it forces you to use both eyes.

JaKaL 01-11-2013 08:16 AM

I've always wondered how long it was going to take for someone to adapt a hunting bow style sight to a paintball application. Paintballs fly much more like arrows than bullets.

DamoNAN 01-11-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaKaL (Post 2589299)
I've always wondered how long it was going to take for someone to adapt a hunting bow style sight to a paintball application. Paintballs fly much more like arrows than bullets.

This isn't new, Armson did it in the 90's, while Dye re-did it 10-15 years ago.

JaKaL 01-11-2013 08:51 AM

No, THIS isn't a bowsight. I was referring more to the multiple pin style sights on compound bows.
Believe me, I remember when these started to be adapted for paintball. Right around 97/98 when vert feeds came out. I think PTP offered the armson version with their micromags in matching anno.
They're ok at speedball ranges if you have a vert feed gun. You may like a normal red dot if you're used to "aiming" and not necessarily using muscle memory. These are great as a reference point for snapshooting.

Helmi_17 01-11-2013 09:05 AM

Super useful if you can train yourself to use it. I used to use a red dot on my tac-one. I knew exactly how much the drop was at 30 yards...

But here's the thing... No matter how deadly I was with it... I almost never rememberd to actually use the thing. Too many years of instinct shooting have made me a man that will probably never use the sights on a paintball marker in any meaningful way.

Spider! 01-11-2013 10:05 AM

One thing that really helps on occluded sights is when you are off-side-eye dominant, i.e. right-handed shooter with left eye dominance. I didn't realize this until I started using a daisy led sight at night. At night, you can't see much through a daisy, but if your other eye can track the silhouette, you can put a ball on it.

I have a Armson max-duty on my P-style trilogy. I have put that sight on other markers, but is easier and most useful on the pistol. With a pistol, you can bring the sight to your eyes, rather than bringing your head to the marker. I don't use it all the time, but it has some good uses.

Paintballs aren't perfect, but they do have an average cone of impact. With a target at distance, you can use a pistol with a sight and have a chance to hit that is as good as any other setup. Compensating for wind is easy, and you can return to shooting at a particular bunker with a known drop (say six feet over will put the ball in the right spot on average).

Ambush; when you know where they will come out, you put the dot where your average cone will definitely cover the target and not halfway on the bunker.

Snapshot; check your grip and hold before you pop from cover. Trust the dot exactly, shoot and come back.

Shooting angles through holes; when you have some monkey shooting at you from crack or small second story window and you can't hose them down, a sight will let you figure out your shot quickly and come back on line when a opportunity presents itself.

Ignore it; just because you have a sight doesn't mean you have to use it. Using a sight will help you develop the feel for a marker quickly. You may not want it at all after a while. There are also play structures where you can't use a sight very well; don't force yourself to use a sight.

I'm waiting for PTP to start making tritium sights again. Daisy sights only last me a few night games, but it's fun one-shotting people in the dark at a distance.

uv_halo 01-11-2013 10:45 AM

The Armsons are high quality with the fiber optic bringing a lot of light to the dot. The Dye Izon, and other knockoffs tend to have very dim dots, even on a bright sunny days. The knobs also aren't very robust, and strip out easily.

The Dyes and the knockoffs were made to attach to something like a .22 dovetail (the dovetail that used to be popular on .22 rifles and airguns).

I haven't seen the more recent Dye Tactical sights in person but, I can say that they have a picatinny type attachment and, they redesigned the exterior. So, it's a question of the internals- did they do them better this time around?

Spider! 01-11-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uv_halo (Post 2589414)
The Dyes and the knockoffs were made to attach to something like a .22 dovetail (the dovetail that used to be popular on .22 rifles and airguns).

Just a general note; if you are shopping for a used PTP/Armson, they come in at least three mounting styles, .22 dovetail, weaver/picatinny, and AR carry handle. Even the .22 dovetail model has different mounting length versions. So be sure you know which one you are looking at.