mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Control Bore

I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I am looking to get a new barrel for my SP1 over the winter, I am leaning towards the freak but was told the 5"(?) control of the freak is too much. I was told to go with the iFit, because the 2" is all you need to get the best consistency and efficiency. Any input would be great
DranDran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

lol who said that? i think the standard for control bore length is 5-9". ifit has it's place though; it's certainly better than nothing. get whatever you want. the good thing about the freak system is it's relatively popular and has been around for a long time, so there are plenty of used parts for sale.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Yeah, whoever told you that had it backwards. The ifit doesn't have enough length to actually effect efficiency or consistency. I would highly suggest a Freak system. Great barrels overall.

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxkid2005 View Post
Yeah, whoever told you that had it backwards. The ifit doesn't have enough length to actually effect efficiency or consistency. I would highly suggest a Freak system. Great barrels overall.
agreed the freak system is miles better than the ifit. Nice thing with a freak is if you get a different gun you can get another back and not have to invest in an entirely new barrel kit to use with that other gun.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
I am unimpressed with my ifit by itself. It works good in conjunction with another kit, if I had it to do over again I would go with a freak or dw.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

These guys have it right, a longer control bore is better. The Freak kit can be kind of an expensive investment, so if you want you could just have your current barrel machined to accept freak inserts. Check out in the Dealer sub-forum, there are a couple of guys that offer this service. Consider it a bit of a "sleeper" mod that nobody would expect on a factory barrel.

Then either pick up a bore master kit (if you want to have one of every size they offer) or just buy a few inserts that are closest to the size of paint you are using. Some of the inserts are so large that hardly anyone ever uses them. As it stands the one I most commonly use is .682 but I do have a .685 and .689 that gets used when my paint swells during humid summer days. I've even had some instances where I really need to pick up a .679 or .677.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

A guy I play with, we all know at least one person like this. There is no winning the argument with them, I play in the Syracuse area so it's not as humid during the summer as some other parts of the country. I typically shoot Valken Infinity @ my main field with the occasional GI paint @ another field. I plan on getting a cocker threaded marker anyways (if I get any of the jobs I applied for.) If not I just buy another ION threaded one
Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Panda with a Gun

CCM Fan
U don't gave to go with all inserts since u don't have a closed bolt gun

Maybe 685, 681, 689

That is good enough for u

Cp barrels get the job done pretty nicely
Old 10-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

The Ifit seems to be more of a "sizer" to help with roll outs than an actual barrel.

I have had Freaks and DeadlyWinds but now use/have an assortment of Lapcos in all their sizes.

I figure the longer the control bore the better.
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
The Ifit seems to be more of a "sizer" to help with roll outs than an actual barrel.

I have had Freaks and DeadlyWinds but now use/have an assortment of Lapcos in all their sizes.

I figure the longer the control bore the better.
That's what I was trying to tell him. In his words "anything over the 2 inch control just wastes air"

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts