mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 03-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Bottomline regulators for the Black Dragun, Rebel Xtreme, Spyder Shutter, etc.

I'm working on a project gun and have been taking a look at the bottomline-mounted regulators found on some early '00s blowbacks.

I've got two questions about these things:

1. What's the diameter of the reg units themselves? (will possibly vary by manufacturer)

and

2. What is the threading of the output hose port on the front? (will also probably vary by manufacturer)

If anyone has one of these things lying around and can check these things for me it would be greatly appreciated.

The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

I will try to get one measured for you, but I know as a fact the spyder bottom line reg outputs were metric threaded, not 1/8 npt.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

The two I have are both 1 inch in diameter.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghp8ntballer View Post
I will try to get one measured for you, but I know as a fact the spyder bottom line reg outputs were metric threaded, not 1/8 npt.
Interesting. The gauge output is 1/8" NPT though, isn't it? I can remember replacing the gauge on the Shutter reg I used to have at one point with a standard gauge.

I wonder what the potential is to rethread the front output port for NPT...

I'm still curious about Dragun or Rebel regs, though- since their mounting dropforwards didn't use the staggered metric Spyder pattern, perhaps the fittings on them are standardized.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes the gauge is standard 1/8 npt.

The metric and 1/8 npt threads are very close to the same diameter, close enough that 1/8 fittings normally get cranked into spyder parts causing issues or irreparable damage. I honestly never tried to just rethread it though. I think I have a spare front cap. I may have to try this weekend.

Spyder regs did not have a staggered pattern either. Every one of these style regs used two screws that were next to each other not inline with the grip, but perpendicular if that makes sense. The drops had the inline or staggered holes for the trigger frames.

One more thing to note, I ran into some fitment issues with the drops and regs. Not sure if it was a brand thing or what. Some of the drops were too big on the reg mating surface to fit in the recess in the reg. nothing a little filing wouldn't take care of though.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, I've answered my own questions.

The regulator on my Superbolt right now is a Spyder Java series reg I got in a box of junk from I&I sports. I assume it was intended to go on the black Java-edition Shutter. It's outputting right around 400psi and seems to be working great.

It's actually the second reg I've used like this. The first one was a nearly-identical reg from a Diablo Mongoose and never wanted to work properly. The two regs seem to work in the same way and the manifolds are compatible. In fact, I'm using the Diablo front manifold on the Spyder reg now.

The front output IS that weird O-ring-sealed Spyder deal, but it was easily rethreaded to 1/8" NPT with my tap/dye set.

I've mounted it using an old WGP ASA cage. It took a little light sanding on the inside before the reg would slide in properly. The idiot marks you see on the reg are from my trying to fix the Mongoose reg.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Very cool!
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've already revised my mounting method, since I wanted to free up the UniMount cage for another project.

I've made an adapter plate for the reg out of the stock Spyder drop that came with one of my regs. All I had to do was cut off the bottom rectangle of aluminum and file down the edges until it had a flat top.
Then, using the upper portion as a template, I drilled a pair of 3/4 mounting holes and counter-sunk them so that the mounting screws bolts would be flush.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

If you're ever looking for an different reg that mount similar and is approximately the same size check out Kermode Concepts(KC) old regs,Bacci just posted one of FB recently.I've got one myself that I ran for years.Very quality product,great owner

http://www.baccipaintball.com/oldnew...avarone-cocker
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts