mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
"Mine was probably the last generation of American boys whose favorite game was " war".

Yeah, right... We we're playing war all though the mid '80s with are plastic noisemaking m16s.

Still an awesome article every time I read it.
I'm still playing war.

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Interesting read. I had heard about the SI article, but never read it. The story of the first game varies greatly from what Lionel ("Tony") Atwill wrote in his book. All this has done is left me wondering what the real story is, though I'm compelled to believe the SI article over Atwill's book, as the book was written two years after the SI article.

Authorized CCI Dealer Specializing in Phantom Repairs and Custom Work
Serving the Greater Fairfield and New Haven County Area of CT Exclusively

Buy my BadAss Stock-Class T-Shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim
There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference.
My MCB Feedback
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Ditto. I've read several different versions over the years too.

Now, some of that could be put down to time- later writings might tend to fluff things up a bit, or leave out the more embarrassing parts, and so on. Others are almost certainly due to writer error- the simple fact that somebody telling a story verbally to a second person, who "interprets" it his own way and then has to write an entertaining draft of it.

I've been involved in enough stories that made the local papers that I have a solid view just how the story can get garbled. Names get misspelled, captions of photos describe the wrong thing, actions get overhyped (a bunker run being described as a "mad rush for victory through a whizzing hail of paint-bullets" and so on.)

In one article alone, they misspelled my name three times. And that's not the worst of it- they misspelled it three different ways in the same article.

On the first game, one account I read described how one of the players happened across some people camping in the playing area- who reacted as you might imagine to the appearance of a scruffy guy in BDUs and camo face paint and holding a pistol.

Another article on the first game said it was officially started by somebody firing a blast from a shotgun. The SI article only hinted at a "starting horn"- which might have been metaphorical, and the writer simply left out the shotgun part.

Also, the difference between this article and Atwill's account is almost certainly in part due to points of view- what one player went through is not necessarily what the other player saw and thought and did.

But still, it's a fun read. And interesting that the word "paintball" doesn't appear even once.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Chesnut

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Part of me wonders if the first game wasn't deliberately concocted as the backstory for a business enterprise. Not that it didn't happen, but that it was planned early on to kick off NSG. The invitees to the first game were so diverse that nearly everyone can identify with at least one player, so many businessmen and entrepreneurs were involved, and one of the players just so happened to write for Sports Illustrated... seems awfully convenient.

Not that I mind.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Part of me wonders if the first game wasn't deliberately concocted as the backstory for a business enterprise. Not that it didn't happen, but that it was planned early on to kick off NSG. The invitees to the first game were so diverse that nearly everyone can identify with at least one player, so many businessmen and entrepreneurs were involved, and one of the players just so happened to write for Sports Illustrated... seems awfully convenient.

Not that I mind.
You might say the same thing about the appearance of the Vietnam vet. However, the 80s were a bit of social relief for Vietnam vets in that a lot of the stigma from the war was forgotten and the vets were more open to discussion. It wasn't uncommon to find a few on the paintball field in the late 80s, early 90s.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts