mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   1981 SI paintball article (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/256882-1981-si-paintball-article.html)

magmoormaster 05-21-2014 03:21 PM

1981 SI paintball article

According to most accounts I've read of the first ever game of paintball, one of the players was a writer from Sports Illustrated and was to do an article on the game. I read somewhere that this article appeared in a December issue of the magazine. Can anyone confirm this? According to their website, SI did issues on a weekly basis, so any insight on which exact issue it's in would be great as well.

El Gringo 05-21-2014 03:29 PM

A dozen adults armed with CO[2] guns take to the woods in - 10.19.81 - SI Vault

This article you looking for?

Axel 05-21-2014 03:31 PM

And here's another SI article that Charles Gaines wrote in 2004: On June 27, 1981, Charles Gaines and some friends went - 12.06.04 - SI Vault

magmoormaster 05-21-2014 03:34 PM

That's the one!! Thanks a bunch!!

Chappy 05-21-2014 04:35 PM

"Mine was probably the last generation of American boys whose favorite game was " war".

Yeah, right... We we're playing war all though the mid '80s with are plastic noisemaking m16s.

Still an awesome article every time I read it.:D

magmoormaster 05-21-2014 04:42 PM

Haha, my cousin and I had woodblocks carved into rifle stocks that we played with.

Spider! 05-21-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chappy (Post 2962026)
"Mine was probably the last generation of American boys whose favorite game was " war".

Yeah, right... We we're playing war all though the mid '80s with are plastic noisemaking m16s.

Still an awesome article every time I read it.:D

In '84 a guy at a UT dorm took his M16 squirt gun out on the 4th floor balcony. The Austin SWAT team came and reminded him that this was not a good idea. He got to pay for the door. I was out that day, but it still reminds me that you have to be careful where you wave your mil-sim cattle markers.

DocsMachine 05-21-2014 05:13 PM

Compare the SI article with this one from just six years later.

Note the changes: Constant air, for one, the switch to "washable" paintballs for another... (the stuff they used in the SI article was real oil-based paint. You had to clean your cammies with turpentine. Yes, really.)

Doc.

HP_Lovecraft 05-21-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magmoormaster (Post 2962030)
Haha, my cousin and I had woodblocks carved into rifle stocks that we played with.

Before I started playing in 87, we played war using those plastic replicas that shot sparks out the barrel. They looked almost exactly like an M16 and AK47.

Those were the "high end" guns, not everyone could afford. So most of us had to use the cheap cap guns that fired the paper caps, and sometimes the clips.

Those were great times. Armynavy stores were always well stocked with cheap gear. We also tried lazertag/photon... and that was OK... but it was more expensive.

I remember around 1992 or so, ToysRUs released a battery operated gatling "cap gun". I bought one for the sake of nostolgia of the 80s. Wish I still had it, since they are valuable on ebay

THE-SHOOTIST 05-21-2014 08:51 PM

That, brought back some memories!
I remember reading that SI article, and then spending a couple months tracking down Bob Gurnsey, only to be told I'd have to 'wait a while longer until I can organize another game'.
I waited until June of '82 for a phone call, and got into a game in August.

Been hooked since then......
:)