mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #41 (permalink)
Official DSG Fanboy

Most of the rules discussed are DOT, but does aybody have links for the Canadian regulations. Trying to search Transport Canada's website is like trying to find a needle ina haystack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsr View Post
"So there I was, sitting at the keyboard one handed, and I said to myself, 'that really looks like you're wife'..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Thing's lucky it scampered off because I would have skulled it to death if I'd managed to get my hands on it.
Moosepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:45 AM   #42 (permalink)
HENSHIN!

I just basically go by what the tank says. If it says I have to re-hydro by a certain date, then I have to re-hydro it. But if it doesn't say anything, then no. Because I had a 9oz that was within the 2 inch rule, but it still had a date on it. But I bought a new one which also fits within the 2 in rule, but that doesn't have date on it.
ZZ rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:13 AM   #43 (permalink)
is in the left gate...

Send a message via AIM to jwigum

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Tech View Post
This was an issue for me at our local sports athority store .I brought 3 7oz tanks to be filled and the kid( i think my tanks were older than him) said nope ,so i bought 3 new tanks 20 bucks each. why argue every time u try to get a fill.
I recently purchased a couple 7oz tanks because the size fits the way I play(pump or slow semi). I plan on either getting my own 20# tank and station, or just bringing a print out with me if I need to.
jwigum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #44 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ rai View Post
But I bought a new one which also fits within the 2 in rule, but that doesn't have date on it.

Pretty sure all tanks that are refillable have dates on them.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #45 (permalink)
HENSHIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Pretty sure all tanks that are refillable have dates on them.
Yes, you're right. My new 9oz came with a date. So much for the 2in diameter rule.
ZZ rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #46 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

What are you talking about?

The date has to be there. It lets the owner / filler / whoever know when the tank was MFG so they can get a good idea of its condition.

It does not mean it has to be hydro tested. When tanks are manufactured, they are dated. If your new 9 oz is aluminum and is under 2 inches OD..follow what everyone has said in this thread. If it is under 2 inches, it does not need hydro testing.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #47 (permalink)
Post Whore

Sent off an email the other day to Catalina Cylinders:

To: Bob Zimmerman
Subject: Requalifying Cylinders in Canada - 2 by 2 rule?

Hello there,

Do you know if the following rule:

DOT-3AL Cylinders "2 by 2 rule" (Catalina Cylinders Cliff Impact Division only)
Requalification not required per the note under table 1 in 49CFR part 180.205. The note reads, "Any cylinder not exceeding two (2) inches in outside diameter and less than two (2) feet in length is exempt from volumetric expansion testing."

is applicable in Canada? Since we follow the Transport Canada rules, I am not sure if this rule is true. I cannot find the requalification rules online, and I am fairly sure they are contained in the "CAN/CSA B339-02" Standard, but I do not have a copy of this to check. So if you could please send me any information on this subject it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Ivan Barker

Got a response back today:

Ivan,

The DOT has the 2 by 2 rule that exempts periodic retesting. This does not however exempt the visual examination and stamping of the retest date.

Canada has a clause in their regs that states that a cylinder having a water volume of 1 liter or less es exempt from retest.

Best regards,
Robert P. Zimmerman
Product Manager
Catalina Cylinders, Cliff Impact Division

http://www.usc.uwo.ca/clubs/paintball/index.html

I'll add my Feedback here, because I always forget to ask.
My super awesome feedback of... awesomeness!

Last edited by Ivan; 07-28-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #48 (permalink)
Post Whore

Question:
To: Bob Zimmerman
Subject: RE: Requalifying Cylinders in Canada - 2 by 2 rule?

Hi again,

Thank you very much for that information. I posted it on some local forums so everyone has access to it. So you are saying, in Canada, if the cylinder holds less than 1 liter, it is exempt from a hydrostatic retest, but it still does need to be visually examined and stamped as well, just like the DOT ruling?

I was also wondering if there is some website that can be referenced or if there is some information online about this? I ask because I would like to take that ruling into the shop next time.

Thank you very much for your help,
Ivan Barker

Answer:
Ivan,

I have asked the DOT for the interpretation of the 2 by 2 rule and their response was that the cylinder needed to be requalified by a visual inspection.

I have not asked the people at TC for their interpretation. The statement reads that: “Containers with a capacity of 1.0 L water or less shall be exempt from periodic requalification”.

I would strongly recommend that you purchase a copy of the Canadian regulations and familiarize yourself with section 24 (Requalification). If you still have questions about the Canadian regulations, I would suggest that you contact TC directly. Catalina Cylinders is not an interpretation branch for the Canadian regulations.

Best regards,
Robert P. Zimmerman
Product Manager
Catalina Cylinders, Cliff Impact Division

http://www.usc.uwo.ca/clubs/paintball/index.html

I'll add my Feedback here, because I always forget to ask.
My super awesome feedback of... awesomeness!
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:56 AM   #49 (permalink)

For Canada, you have to follow Clause 24 of CAN/CSA B339-02. I will work on trying to get a copy, as it appears you have to purchase it. it is not available freely online so far as I have been able to determine.

For the US: Electronic Code of Federal Regulations 49 CFR 180.209, table 1
The US 2'x2" rule applies to ALL DOT-3 and DOT-4 tanks (STEEL AND ALUMINUM) - NOT JUST ALUMINUM DOT-3AL TANKS.
sartek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #50 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Deadmeat99

CCM Fan
just called catalina about my 22/3000 and they said even though it is under 2 inches only 1800 psi tanks were exempt from hydro testing.

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Deadmeat99 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts