mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 03-01-2010, 05:03 AM   #51 (permalink)
Autocannibal

AKA Fan
Wouldn't a 13ci tank hold less than 1 liter? In that case shouldn't it be exempt from retesting in Canada?

Feedback
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 AM   #52 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
From what I have read, yes, but I have also heard few, if any, store owners will go by that rule.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:12 AM   #53 (permalink)
Post Whore

A little bit of info to add to the 2x2 rule. The reason for exemption is that the bottles are impossible to test and have no track record of bottle failure.

You trade a guy you know a condom for a beer.

He takes himself on home and calls you the next friday saying "hey bro, That condom you loaned me broke after I took it out of its wrapper and used it"

Would you really trade back a beer for a used rubber?
i_luv_strats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #54 (permalink)
The Attractive Fireman

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I haven't read through this whole thread, just because I'm to lazy to. Would a 7oz CO2 tank be hydro exempt?
TippmannFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #55 (permalink)
Post Whore

is it less than 2 feet long and less than two inches in diameter? Can't be either or, has to be both. Get that argument all the time with customers.

You trade a guy you know a condom for a beer.

He takes himself on home and calls you the next friday saying "hey bro, That condom you loaned me broke after I took it out of its wrapper and used it"

Would you really trade back a beer for a used rubber?
i_luv_strats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #56 (permalink)

As to determining the weight to cubic inch capacity, the nominal volume of a co2 tank is 2.57 times its rated size (in oz). A 20oz tank for example has an internal volume of 51ci, and a 7oz tank is 18ci, a 3.5 oz is 9ci. The 13ci tank is about a 5 oz tank equivalent. Co2 is also MUCH denser than water btw, nearly twice as much in fact (1.977 grams per cubic centimeter... water is 1g/cc or 1kg/liter). 1 ci of co2 is about 1.14 oz in weight.
DeeEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rap4paintball View Post
There you go:

American Hydrotest -Paintball Tank Testing.

And If you dont want to link to it:

Anything over 300psi is high pressure!... always treat it with respect!

Required Testing Cycle: 3 or 5 year? Some newer Fiber Wrapped cylinders now have a 5 year test cycle.Click Here to check for 3 or 5 year cyle. OR, drop us a note, we will check the DOT letters for you. We will need the original date and the "E" number. Click here to go to "how to read fiber wrapped bottles. We are happy to figure out the test cycle for you. Send a note with the "E-........." number and the original test date to Tank Test Cycle Check.

High Pressure Air: Sometimes called Nitro tanks (nitrogen or air). Peak tank pressure is between 3000 psi and 4500 psi. They can be steel, aluminum and aluminum/fiber wrapped.

Fiber wrapped: These are aluminum bottles, that have a fiberglass or carbon fiber wrapped around a aluminum bottle and covered with a epoxy resin. They are much lighter than regular aluminum or steel bottles. These bottles usually need to be tested every 3 years. The Newer ones may be tested every 5 years. They all have a 15 year life span. Drop us a note if you are unsure of a Tank Test Cycle.

Aluminum bottles: Plain aluminum bottles need to be tested every 5 years and have a unlimited life. A magnet will not stick to aluminum. 3AL will be stamped into the round/top part of the bottle.

Steel bottles that have 3HT stamped on them, should be tested at least every 3 years and have a life span of 24 years. A magnet will stick to one of these bottles.

CO2 tanks: 2 inches or less in diameter and less than 2 feet long, do not need to be tested. This is a DOT Rule. These CO2 bottles usually have a 1800 psi limit. Greater than 2 inches in diameter must be tested every 5 years. These bottles are not fiber wrapped. These are considered high pressure.

Proper care of your bottle includes impact prevention, never over fill beyond the certified pressure, inspect each time you fill and have a airsmith or hydro station to do a professional visual inspection inside and outside annually (the scuba guys have been doing this for 40 years). Always play safe.

FYI: Exemption Numbers That number on your tank that starts with "E-" does not mean the bottle is exempt from testing, it means the manufacturer is required to have a current authorization letter on file with the DOT. These letters describe what requirements the DOT and the manufacturers have placed on the bottle's use, the testing requirements and other important information. There are some stores and paintball web sites that say these "E" bottles are from testing. NO they are not exempt from testing, all "E" bottles must be tested (requalified).
I accept with information: Eddy current inspection of the threads in 6061 aluminum cylinders is not required by the DOT and is not mandated as necessary by Catalina Cylinders. Cylinders manufactured by Catalina Cylinders and Catalina Cylinders Cliff Impact Division have only been manufactured from aluminum alloy 6061, not aluminum alloy 6351, and do not require any special testing or inspection of the neck, threads or shoulder of the cylinders
safira218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #58 (permalink)
Choppin Balls

Do those 7 oz tanks have collectors value?
fort_apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #59 (permalink)

7oz tanks are not really collectible no... they're not really useful either aside from using them on pump guns. I own three still for that reason.
DeeEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #60 (permalink)

Sorry, question for you all, the Ninja 13/3000 tank is listed as 2" in diameter, but it needs to be UNDER 2" to qualify for the exemption. Would the tank qualify? Or am I looking at a 5 year hydro?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts