mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 05-11-2008, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Air America Raptor Rex help?

I just bought a new raptor rex off of ebay from i&i sport, and i put it on my old air tank.

First question is that, is there anyway to turn the tank off? Without screwing the adjusting knob on top all the way in, when ever the store try to fill the air tank it will leak out like crazy.

If the knob is screw all the way in, then it can be fill without leak, however after they finish filling, the fill port (labeled as in), start to leak a little bit, which scared the heck out of all the guy in the store that were playing with the myth reg and their proto.

How do i set it up properly and get it filled? Does the tank have to be connect to the marker at all time? If so, i am using a remote line, so the remote line will have to be under pressure at all time, and there isn't any good way to shut off the tank? That doesn't seem safe, even though the remote line is rated for 3000 psi.

Or is there a fine point in between where the tank is suppose to be shut off and not letting any pressure out? And therefore i have to re-adjust the tank every time i turn it on?

thanks
pk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Raptor Manual http://www.a-1paintballstore.com/manuals/aaraptor.pdf

This reg can be shut off by turning the valve out, just don't unscrew it all the way. If you crank it in to stop the flow you can damage the piston. And air will leak out the over pressurization hole.

However, it's best to either connect an on/off valve to the regulator or keep the remote with slide check connected to it all the time. With mine I just left the remote on it all the time.

They are pretty good regs, but good luck finding parts for them as Air America has been out of business for several years.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Thanks

Now i just have to get an on/off with a gage so i can set the output of the tank.

Didn't most of the Air America people go work for Guerrilla Air afterward?
pk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Shi Tamagutsu Ka

I have a couple Raptors (older, not the Rex) and yes, you need to put a shut-off on it.
Finding rebuild parts is easy, it's identical to the AutoMag A.I.R. since Dan Colby created it and Tom Kaye used it.
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Some people went to Guerilla air, but from what I understand there isn't much for NOS parts left.

There are a few companies making aftermarket O ring sets but the seats, pins and pin springs are what you'll have problems finding. The reg seats are similar to the Automags, but not identical. From what I've heard, they'll work, but don't last very long.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate Jim View Post
I have a couple Raptors (older, not the Rex) and yes, you need to put a shut-off on it.
Finding rebuild parts is easy, it's identical to the AutoMag A.I.R. since Dan Colby created it and Tom Kaye used it.
Tom Kaye used it first, IIRC, it was designed by an english fellow and adapted from there.

Do not use Mag seats and pins in Raptors, they are too soft and will not work properly. Best solution is to add an on/off or Pro-Connect to the reg before the remote line. Palmers Pursuit sells an excellent lever on/off. Do NOT adjust the reg out to zero to turn it off. If you do that you can and will nick the piston o-ring, causing a leak. Do this if you need to, turn the adjuster out 1-2 turns, shoot your gun, and repeat until you reach zero. Problem is now when you turn it back on, you do not know where to set it for the same pressure.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts