mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-29-2006, 01:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

My girlfriend also has a cochlear implant. (on one side)

She has a body processor for it. (sits on her belt) I was thinking of building a case for the processor, and then use a microphone as input from there to catch sounds that noone would loose any sleep over if hit. And then maybe something over her magnet as well. But for now i think her hearing aid is the way to go.

Anyway, thanks tons for the info, I'm glad to hear some experiences. We're gonna be going out on saturday.

thanks,
Rayn
Raynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
C4 Founding Member

Send a message via AIM to BLC_Misfire Send a message via MSN to BLC_Misfire Send a message via Yahoo to BLC_Misfire

I have been on the field with people that are completely deaf. While they have some obvious disadvantages, I can easily say that they have been among the best players I've played against. The real big trick was how to signal that the game was over before getting shot.

BLC is the team, Misfire is the name...
BLC_Misfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

I would have her wear them, just for safety. If someone's mask falls off, you want to be able to yell, and have everyone put their markers down. Like the others said, let her know how awesome it is she wants to play, and go with a hard mask

aqua_scummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thumbs up Insurance for Hearing Aids

I am a Teacher for the Deaf/HH. I have students who play baseball, soccer, and a few who play football. My group of students is mixed betwenn unaided, aided with hearing aids, and cochlear implants.

My number one piece of advice is look into insurance. Hearing aids can be added to house insurance for a bare minimum cost. This way if something DOES happen, she's covered.

My second piece of advice is to wear the hearing aids for safety. It would be aweful if something happened on the field and she walked into a bad situation or made a situation worse by continuing to fire on an injured player.

My third piece of advice is to try some test shots. I have had many students refuse to wear their hearing aids for a couple days because of a loud burst of noise scared the begeebes out of them (mainly with my younger students).

Lastly, ROCK ON... we need more females on the field!
kjarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

She ended up wearing them on the field with her. Like you mentioned, she does have insurance on her implant, and I believe she has spare hearing aids (left over from when she used 2, or they didn't work as well I think)

she did really well playing stock class, and had a great time. Made me buy some reballs so she could practice more.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

-Rayn
Raynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Glad to hear it went well! get some pics of her up, hopefully they will get more interest in the XX chromosomed group.

Also, talk to CamoDeafie at specops, he's deaf and plays quite a bit of woodsball, and I think most of his team is hearing impaired. He'd probably have the best advice for the two of you

Old 10-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

I even pulled up his profile page so you can PM him easier http://forum.specialopspaintball.com...?showuser=7255

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts