mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-06-2006, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

C02 tank to HPA?

I am guessing this has been asked, But I did not find any info on it so here I go.....
I have an old splash annoed c02 tank that I would love to use HPA in?
Is this possible? would I be really pushing it if I installed a reg and filled it up to 3k psi? Is there a reg that will fit? I dont expect any scuba shop to fill this, I have scuba tanks of my own tho.
Thanks for reading, all replys are welcome.
LONGBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

You can put HPA in a CO2 tank, but only up to around 1200psi safely, and that might be pushing it. CO2 is a lot lower pressure than the pressures a HPA tank can withstand, this is why the tanks are cheaper.

But the answer is, yes, you can put HPA in a CO2 tank, but not any pressure that would be worth it, you wouldnt get very many shots.

Allfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do Not Do It

Co2 tanks are not rated @3K.The smaller ones you see guys using on thier pumps are thicker and rated to run at higher pressures and designed to do so.
Just to answer the rest of the questions, most hp regs will thread right on to a co2 tank but dont try. I know they fit because I have done it the other way around and turned a hp tank into co2. Co2 tanks are only max. rated @ 1800psi IIRC and thats max not the recommened operating pressure
hostiletek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Some newer Co2 tanks are rated to 3000psi IIRC. Newer pmi tanks were coming out with 3000psi burst discs in them. You can safely use an HPA reg in a Co2 bottle as long as you only fill it to the cylinders rated pressure. It is stamped on the neck of the tank. 1800psi is usally what they are rated for. A 12oz tank with a screw-in reg, filled to 1800psi, will get you around 200 or shots on a pump gun, and less on a semi. Hers the important part. If you do not know EXACTLY how to safely install a reg on a tank, DONT! Have an airsmith do it.

Why do you ask this, what do you want to accomplish?
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

CCM Fan
he told the reason in the original post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGBALL View Post
I have an old splash annoed c02 tank that I would love to use HPA in
Old 12-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

No HPA in a CO2 tank at 3k NO NO NO the tanks are rated for 1800psi working pressure only.

ShaneO 3k burst disks are what you are supposed to have in a CO2 valve as it is 2/3 of the burst pressure of the tank. The disk is to burst before the tank bursts and injures you and others.

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Paintball Mania made a reg to retro fit 20 oz. tanks for HPA they were rated for 1800psi.
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you for the informitave replys. I will just leave well enuff alone
LONGBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
No HPA in a CO2 tank at 3k NO NO NO the tanks are rated for 1800psi working pressure only.

ShaneO 3k burst disks are what you are supposed to have in a CO2 valve as it is 2/3 of the burst pressure of the tank. The disk is to burst before the tank bursts and injures you and others.

A few years back PMI started putting 3k discs in their Co2 tanks. Prior to that, they were all 1800psi discs. I couldnt remember if the tanks were 3k rated or not, I seem to remember discussing it with my buddy (Owns pball shop). We concluded that they are putting higher rated discs in, because most kids leave their Co2 tanks in the sun and blow a lower rated disc. Because of tanks being bought at Wally world, the kid would return it, and that caused untold headaches for the tank manufacturers. So they Upgraded the disc with higher rated ones.

Shane-O
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gun Hoarder

Send a message via AIM to pwpaintball

Most all co2 tanks are rated for 1800psi and that is working pressure. The reason for going to a 3000psi bust disk is because this is what the tank is tested to when made or rehydroed. If you fill the tank repeatedly you will shorten the tank life if not worse have a failure.
So you can use your 20oz for nitro but you need a regulator installed and you should NEVER fill it over 1800psi. The problem with this is like stated earlier you donít get a lot of shots out of it. (I donít remember how many)
My Sale

My Feedback
pwpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts