mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-22-2006, 02:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Barrel question

Im slapping together a VSC traccer and want a good ported barrel, preferably a 14" anybody know where to find one? I was told to try J&J but the site wont open, someone else said Taso but I cant find any. Are they still made? Or should I send out a call and try and find a used one?
hostiletek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Direct link to JJ's Trracer selection, http://jjperformance.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=19

If that doesn't work make sure everything is fine on your end then call up your ISP and bitch.

The Taso ones are out of production to my knowledge but they have a tendency to show up new on Ebay. Look, heres one now... http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-TASO-TRRACE...QQcmdZViewItem
Its 12" though

Also, there is this... http://cgi.ebay.com/Hornet-Tagmaster...QQcmdZViewItem

Its also possible to find used ones on here, I picked up a 16" Smart Parts All-American for my Trracer here and there were a few other options floating around.
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

There is a taso on ebay right now (they have 9 for sale):
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-TASO-TRRACE...QQcmdZViewItem

Google found a J&J Ceramic 14" sitting in this online store (can't vouch for them):
http://www.gunitpaintball.com/14-JJ-...r-pr-1372.html
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja View Post
I have this one. It's... interesting.

The cosmetic muzzle break at the end? Look at it on the outside. They didn't make the aluminum thicker for that taper at the end. It flares out and inexplicably tapers back in at a fairly sharp angle on the inside, occasionally murdering your paint just as it leaves the marker and making you think you have to squeegee when the barrel is in fact clean. On that note I've also had a squeegee get stuck in there mid-game because of the internal taper (I stuck it in cloth-first as I was under fire -- you can imagine how frustrated I was when I couldn't pull it back out under those circumstances). I had to get the vernier out to ensure it wasn't because I'd stored it in such a way that the earth's gravity had flattened the end or something.

Stupid, stupid design flaw that should've been caught before production. I'm half-tempted to bandsaw the end off just to have a barrel I can depend on that's shorter than 14".

The J&J Ceramic for the Trracer is very, very good, though.

Last edited by TrracerAce; 12-22-2006 at 03:10 AM.
TrracerAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Geez, you guys are quick

Glad Im not the only one up in the middle of the night. How are those ceramics on noise? I was hoping for an aluminum one I could get annoe'd to match but this may work as well.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Inconceivable!

Nothing short of sticking a car muffler on the end of your Trracer will make it quieter than an artillery piece.

The Ceramic's a good start, though.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Geee. Thats encouraging. Im 6'3" 325lbs and have a noisey pump gun, this oughta be a fun season
Old 12-22-2006, 03:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

The ceramics are surprisingly quiet. I am very impressed with mine and its gotten more play time since I bought it this summer than all the other stuff I have. As for anodizing, I believe its possible to take off the coating on the exterior of the barrel, but I don't know how well the stuff left inside would respond to anodizing. I would love to get my Maverracer all annoed to match but thats alot of money on a not so expensive marker.

LOL on that ACI barrel, I didn't need one anyway but will definitely stay away from it. Between my AA and Ceramic I don't see much of a need for another barrel. Hell, after I get my next couple Trracer/Mavericks I'll probably get another Ceramic or 2.

I'm up late most nights but tonight I'm working on a laptop for someone in my girlfriends family or I would be passed out.

Edit: Lol, I'm 6'2"ish and around 280 and the least of my worries are the noise I make firing. I sound like an elephant as I crash though the brush chasing people down. Since July I have only played with my Ranger, Sniper, Trracer and VM. None of those are fast shooters and the only one thats semi quiet is my Sniper when the reg isn't farting. Noise isn't my problem its being able to get the cover I need to not get lit up.

Last edited by DarkNinja; 12-22-2006 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Inconceivable!

That's Nelsons for you. The hammer/valve operation by sheer virtue of its design will generate a very sharp, very loud noise.

Like I said though, the Ceramic does help a fair bit. Using it over the stock barrel will ensure they just hear you from the highway, as opposed to the neighboring county.

I use the noise on mine for psychological effect. Taking it to the speedball field (a warehouse-type building with ridiculous acoustics) ensures hilarity among those who rely on audibles to conduct their plays.

"On me! On me! He's in the back (BLAM!)! One in the back (BLAM!)! He's up! He's moving to the (BLAM!)"
Old 12-22-2006, 03:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

HAHAHA. A few years back my friend would turn his upside down to get a few dry shots off and I remember a few people just dropping to the ground like they were really being shot at. Lol, those kids had never heard of or seen a pump gun before, but the reaction the first time they ran into it was priceless.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts