mcarterbrown.com  

Brass Eagle Brass Eagle owners can hang out here

Old 11-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
la la la la revolution

I've been googling about Rainmaker dwells. I can't believe they're actually ~40mS!

I can measure up my RM's solenoid resistance when I get home from work. I might drag out my oscilloscope to satisfy myself on the long dwell, too.

Edit:
If pneumagger on AO is correct and the stock RM solenoid valve PN is "44B-AAAA-GDSA-1BA", then it's a 6V 3W. That gives a coil resistance of 12 ohms, which might be a bit much for an Impulse board to deal with.

If the stock impulse solenoid valve is much lower wattage, it could be fired from a regulated supply, but that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. I've never seen an Impulse board.

Last edited by MondoMor; 11-27-2007 at 11:13 AM.
MondoMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoMor View Post
I've been googling about Rainmaker dwells. I can't believe they're actually ~40mS!
The solenoid doesnt actuate the valve directly.

Instead, the ram is used to compress a spring-loaded hammer, which is then released to hit the valve, then the ram resets to grab the hammer.

Lots of steps that must each be completed before the next step can start. Otherwise, the gun just shortstrokes, leading to a big mess.

Plus, add variables like a soft hammer, restrictive tubing, and some extra "padding" for safety, and you get a dwell of 40mS.

9 years ago, this was perfectly acceptable, especially when the other gun on the market was the 4x4 Shocker.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
la la la la revolution

I thought the solenoid, when "off", allowed the ram to extend fully. This compressed the spring and latched the hammer to the carrier (and also caused the funky oscillation when you air up the marker - the poppet valve doesn't have enough pressure to close, so when the ram tries to link the carrier & hammer it opens the poppet and starves the LPR. Rinse & repeat...)

When firing (solenoid valve "on"), air is routed so that the ram retracts, pulling the hammer/carrier forward until the hammer latch catches the body pin. This releases the hammer from the carrier, sending it back to open the valve and fire the ball.

After the dwell is up, the board turns the solenoid valve off again which sends the ram backwards to catch the hammer and wait for the next trigger pull.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable, and I have a lot of respect for HPL. It's also been a while since I really tinkered with mine.

If the solenoid ON time is really that long there's not much you can do other than (as HPL has said) make sure the hoses are short and the fittings breathe well.

I did the Mad Marty mod myself where a pin is added to the hammer, which keeps the hammer and carrier aligned. It allowed the hammer/carrier to move in the body much smoother, which should easily translate to faster cycles. If I had an aftermarket board, I could probably take advantage of the reduced dwell.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoMor View Post
I'm not trying to be disagreeable, and I have a lot of respect for HPL. It's also been a while since I really tinkered with mine.
No, I think we are in full agreement, just said differently.
More happens during the RM dwell then in other guns.

Much like E-Cockers, and early Shockers. The guns were very "busy".

nick

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Not Popular

pnuemagger is right on with the noid stuff. thats what i measured when i was working on mine last weekend.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

IIRC the WAS board (at laest AKA ones) actually feed the solenoid with regulated 5V. Weird but that's how he did it, unlike almost all other boards that just switch the battery voltage to the solenoid.

Avery
Quote:
Originally Posted by incynr8
Sharing computers is like trading underwear.
amcfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
la la la la revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
Much like E-Cockers, and early Shockers. The guns were very "busy".
I love my SF cocker and Rainmaker. They seem like such crazy Rube Goldberg ways to shoot paint nowadays.

In a bizarre bit of coincidence, I just disassembled, lubed and rebuilt a gigantic MAC valve in some of our test equipment. 24VDC solenoid operating a ~100psi pilot, operating a high flow vacuum valve.

Thanks, paintball!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RespectTheTeg

Yes both setups are 9v power sources. Whether or not there's 9v at the coil wires is another story.

HPL, I rooted through the link you gave me, nothing too useful. They sell 12vdc and 24vdc noids, the weakest being a 12vdc 1.8 watt setup.
Rainmaker, all stock
Still have my first gun, a Raptor Silver Eagle.

Last edited by RespectTheTeg; 11-27-2007 at 02:28 PM.
RespectTheTeg is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Brass Eagle