mcarterbrown.com  

Brass Eagle Brass Eagle owners can hang out here

Old 07-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Yuengling Drinker

Send a message via AIM to esparzar Send a message via MSN to esparzar Send a message via Yahoo to esparzar

Anyone done a Nightmare Redux?

Don't know if this has been asked or considered but has anyone made a run of let's call them updated Nightmares similar to the run of R7s less the customer service.

If some were to be made would people prefer to keep it pretty much original, completely updates, or somewhere in between.

In reading some of the stuff about a nightmare I would figure making dis and reassembly less of a headache or *cough* nightmare *cough*. Correct me if I am wring but is the merlin action basically an inverted version of how a nightmare works?

Who all would actually buy a updated version of a nightmare?

I even thought of a name for an lb and sb version. Torment and Terror lol
Old 07-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

The idea has come up before, as one off custom stuff. JellyGhost made his Phrightmare, a nifty Phantom based ode to the Nightmare. Has a pretty cool 12 gram changer setup too.

I love Nightmares, primarily because they are such a finicky and cool marker. I would maybe make myself a Nightmare tribute, not sure I would buy one.

I'm not familiar with the Merlin, but Nightmares are just using Crosman valves, I've even swapped out the valve stem and seal from a Crosman 357 into one of mine as a repair.

I think part of the difficulty of making a modern Nightmare, would be maintaining its character. A big part of the Nightmare experience is the noisy cocking and hammer bouncing, ear drum blasting noise they can make, which may not be desirable in a modern marker. Keeping the cool look would be fairly easy though.
RuleOfSines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Tippmann's are basically a Nightmare, done correctly and made into a semi-auto that worked, unlike the Nightmare Semi. But, I figure if you "pumped" an old Pro-Lite or Carbine, you'd essentially have a Nightmare. Even the "refined" versions of the Nightmare, the "Cobra" and "King Cobra" were pretty lame as well. Just a super-farty valve design. I know that there are a few adventurous souls who have tuned these designs to be more reliable and vastly farty, but as for me, I'm in the "why bother?" camp.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Yuengling Drinker

Send a message via AIM to esparzar Send a message via MSN to esparzar Send a message via Yahoo to esparzar

I would assume there would be no love lost if the valve assembly was essentially not true to original right?

If I were to make one for the masses, which honestly I would source to a machine shop, I would try to keep it as close to original as possible but improving where it needs improving. The internals and doing basic or general maintenance is a *cough* nightmare *cough* from what I have read.

Also I would also try to integrate many existing parts to keep cost done and replacement easy for everyone. If I had the software I'd come up with a render and take it done to a machine shop that I had do some work on my pgp and figure out a cost.

Does anyone have exact dimensions for the lb and sb versions?

Last edited by esparzar; 07-14-2017 at 11:35 PM.
esparzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

I doubt a redux would sell well. It would have to completely eliminate all of the issues nightmares had. I would expect them to be costly. As already stated, the valve train is finicky. I have an extensive thread about my tinkerings to improve these guns. It would be a deep rabbit hole of an adventure to re-create it and improve it. Can it be done, yes. Would it be financially worth it? Extremely doubtful.
pghp8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Yuengling Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghp8ntballer View Post
I doubt a redux would sell well. It would have to completely eliminate all of the issues nightmares had. I would expect them to be costly. As already stated, the valve train is finicky. I have an extensive thread about my tinkerings to improve these guns. It would be a deep rabbit hole of an adventure to re-create it and improve it. Can it be done, yes. Would it be financially worth it? Extremely doubtful.
In a way think I already have. In a sense it won't be 100% true but operates in the spirit of the original. Question is can I use existing parts to keep initial and maintenance cost or will I need to have a custom piece fabricated.

What are the issues with the nightmare? I'm only aware of it chewing up orings when assembling or disassembling.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

The cup seal and 12g seals are specific to the nightmare/cobra and/or B.E./ crosman

The hammers are stupid heavy and are a prone to bouncing which causes farting.

No barrel options (unibody).

Parts are hard to come by

Uncommon springs

Velocity is not adjustable

Prone to leaks that are very difficult to repair because of oring shredding

Literally no A/M love.

I love my nightmare. I can't wait until I can get back on the project, but unless you keep the piercer and valve assemblies the same but updated with readily replaceable parts, as well as a unibody except for the barrel, it would not be the same in my honest opinion.

That being said, here are my thoughts on making a new nightmare with updated options...

Unibody except the barrel; cocker, spyder, or phantom threaded... each has pros/cons

Body made without stepped bore sections that cause the oring shredding

Uses a cocker hammer and cocker springs

Valve works identically but modified to use CCI cup seals and cocker valve springs and made out of stainless steel
Threaded power tubes... so you can change tube sizes (I can dream, right?)

Bolt redesigned to have Venturi porting

12g piercer using the CCI piercer assembly

If keeping with the original sized 12g piercer assembly... make it a regulator... it's dang big enough.

Option of lever changer or fasst changer 12g knob

Quick turn feed port knob

Quality aluminum and machining... lol but no joke.

Sexxy looking rear sight and keep the front brass sight pin.

Takes cocker trigger frames!!!!!

Rear velocity adjuster

Can you tell I have thought this through before?
pghp8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Nice
Ashton S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Yuengling Drinker

How about a reverse flow sheridan valve to replace the BE valve assembly? Essentially the same exact thing exept the sheridan, or cocker valve, is better designed.

In other words imagine a cocker with the air flow flowing backwards and the bolt sitting forward of the valve.

All your other ideas were on my mind as well. Was even thinking of a gas thru grip option for in grip air or CA.

Last edited by esparzar; 07-19-2017 at 12:19 AM.
esparzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar View Post
How about a reverse flow sheridan valve to replace the BE valve assembly? Essentially the same exact thing exept the sheridan, or cocker valve, is better designed.

In other words imagine a cocker with the air flow flowing backwards and the bolt sitting forward of the valve.

All your other ideas were on my mind as well. Was even thinking of a gas thru grip option for in grip air or CA.
That would be basically a Sterling, or Rainmaker...
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Brass Eagle