mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Carter Machine (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/carter-machine/)
-   -   School me on Carter Stock Class Guns! (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/carter-machine/235929-school-me-carter-stock-class-guns.html)

tiny 06-19-2013 03:29 PM

School me on Carter Stock Class Guns!

So bare with me guys, I've been slowly but surely expanding the size of my stock class gun collection and the only thing I seem to be missing at the moment is a nice carter of some kind. I've seen pictures, they look pretty, and I've heard from local guys that they are fantastic shooters and very well put together, but aside from that I know absolutely nothing about them.

How do they compare to phantoms, gargs, ghosts, and the R7?

What are the differences between the buzzard, comp, mini buzzard, and mini comp?

Is there a significant difference between a carter duck and a redux?

lechooch 06-22-2013 11:44 AM

They are all kinda the same. Bit smoother than phantoms but thats about it. Cool looking guns that can function well..\

Carters are finicky and can give you grief

Duck is cool looking but again, finicky

Donut SD 06-22-2013 11:52 AM

Lechooch has spoken

/thread

williamk 06-24-2013 03:35 PM

Basically comps are undercockers and Buzzards are double side pulls. Other then that traditionally comps have thinner barrels but that varies. Feed system, internals aside from the double/single pull, and the grips are the same. And the minis are just smaller, shorter barrels and pumps mostly.

tiny 06-24-2013 03:42 PM

I was looking for an excuse to buy a buzzard for myself, you guys kind of made me pause and think about it a bit more. Thanks I suppose :P

Riddler 06-25-2013 05:20 PM

Pfft. Don't let them scare you. Carters are fantastic markers with heaps of soul, and I've never had any issues with the few I've been fortunate to own over the years. The pump stroke and trigger pull on my Mini Buzzard are nothing short of heavenly.

tiny 06-25-2013 05:31 PM

That's what I was hoping to hear instead! Have you owned a grey ghost or gargoyle? I'd love to hear how the trigger compares to those.

PB Weasel 06-26-2013 03:41 AM

Tiny I have owned all of the guns you asked about:

Garg -great phantom style nelson gun, smooth, and with the break in complete they get to be buttery smooth, nice tool free feild stripping.

Grey Ghost - good entry level nelson SC gun, has an open class feed available, tool free stripping for the basic stuff, syder threaded barrel kinda of eh . . . good trigger and feel.

Carter guns - all are more or less hand fitted, especially the older ones. I love mine, I have had a great mini comp now sold, a mini buzzard now sold, an older buzzard that I love, and my baby duck. all are great guns but being hand fitted they do need TLC to make them run their best.

tiny 06-26-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PB Weasel (Post 2743164)
Tiny I have owned all of the guns you asked about:

Garg -great phantom style nelson gun, smooth, and with the break in complete they get to be buttery smooth, nice tool free feild stripping.

Grey Ghost - good entry level nelson SC gun, has an open class feed available, tool free stripping for the basic stuff, syder threaded barrel kinda of eh . . . good trigger and feel.

Carter guns - all are more or less hand fitted, especially the older ones. I love mine, I have had a great mini comp now sold, a mini buzzard now sold, an older buzzard that I love, and my baby duck. all are great guns but being hand fitted they do need TLC to make them run their best.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. In terms of trigger pull, how do the carters stack up? I'm in love with the garg trigger pull and the ghost has a very nice pull as well. I actually can't decide which I prefer.

PB Weasel 06-26-2013 06:12 PM

Any good Nelson has a comparable trigger pull, or can be made to have a comparable pull through some polishing and TLC.