mcarterbrown.com  

Carter Machine Carter Buzzards, Comps, Mini Comps, Ducks and more!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
What happens when Earon retires?

I've been wanting to commission a (well a few) new builds at Carter Machine lately, namely a Box Gun and a Mini-buzzard. Due to a massive tax bill due in April and the low Canadian dollar I'm going to have to put them on hold.

It got me thinking, is the Earon the whole shop? Does he have someone he's been training to pass the shop onto when he wants to cut back? From the craftsmanship in his work, it's obvious the man loves what he does, but everyone retires at some point.

Anyone have an inside scoop?
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sailor by choice

Send a message via AIM to shoot to thrill

Palmers Fan
god I hope he does

MCB Feedback

New England Waterman, a nautical life

New England Waterman Photography
shoot to thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to oggfueler

If he retires and moves back to Hawaii I'm sure there will be an endless supply of bruddahs lining up to work for him for little to nothing... heck I'd work part time for him for free. It'd be too depressing to think of not having Carter's work around.
oggfueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

PPS syndrome would happen. Suddenly there would be a bunch of semiautomatic Carter guns mass produced, maybe even electronic guns. Ducks would go exclusively constant-air, and electronic hoppers will be featured in "package deals" with Scott masks and cheapo Walmart pods!

It would be ANARCHY!
Corran Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Psychopath. :D

Send a message via AIM to Legato

Please don't put these thoughts out there...at least until i order and recieve my Mini Comp. I need that first.

Last edited by Azzy; 02-12-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Just changing it to english.....
Legato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

We've quite often talked about this locally (Carter retiring and Glen Palmer and brass).

From what he told me, Earon works alone in his shop most of the time. His wife does the bookkeeping/sales/website stuff. He really wants and needs someone to help him out and learn the ropes of building his markers when he chooses to retire from the business. That and so he doesn't forget to put the guts into his 12 gram changers

Earon is quite possiably the most driven custom airsmith in industry. Most interesting person in industry I've met or known.

I'm scared in the future there is going to be a huge shortage of sears or whatever part that wears out and causes Carters to AT like mad.
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I think CCI and PPS will survive quite easily, they are both very marketable, high output, more assembly-line drive, companies. Craig will carry on the torch, and I think it is safe to say Mike will sell the company to someone who will keep it going. They are both lucrative businesses that would be worth keeping around.

Carter on the other hand... I have no idea. I try not to think about it and I just assume Earon will be doing it forever. I cannot see Carter Machine being a hugely profitable company with their low ouput, so I am not sure someone outside of his immediate circle would buy it.

I think we should buy it! Hell, I would consider learning machining after my degree is done if moving to Hawaii/California and making Carter stock guns was an option. The problem is, I think what Carter produces is more about his personal involvement and experience than just having someone machine the guns.

I really think once Carter retires, they will no longer be made. Then my Box Gun doubles in value. Seriously though, I do need a Mini-Comp and a Mini-Buzzard before he does leave the business.

EDIT: The short version of what I will do once Earon retires, quite simply, is seppuku.

Last edited by idkfa; 02-12-2009 at 12:01 PM.
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
EDIT: The short version of what I will do once Earon retires, quite simply, is seppuku.
lol

Sparky and idkfa, that's pretty much what I was thinking. He does it because he likes doing it, not because it's his business. Hard to pass it onto someone who doesn't have the same drive and passion.

That's going to be a sad day for me, and I hope we get some warning if/when it happens, because I'd have to put a few last orders in. But I think my next major paintball purchase will be a cousin to idkfa's box gun. It's killing me, I've got $1356.80 sitting in paypal right now, but promised myself I wouldn't buy anything until I've paid taxes and rebuilt my rainy day fund. Lousy 40% taxes....
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

But Frink you get FREE HEALTH CARE!!!!111!!ONE ONE!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

CCM Fan
This is a main reason why I put buying a carter at the top of my list. You never know what the next day will hold.

It would be cool if someone could have a sit down interview with him. I hope to pick up my purchase from him personally.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Carter Machine