mcarterbrown.com  

Carter Machine Carter Buzzards, Comps, Mini Comps, Ducks and more!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

thinking of getting a carter in the future

I've been thinking of getting a carter in a year or so.I've never shot/owned one. I've shot owned everything from a splatmaster to a sterling. I'm picky on my pumps. And I don't see spending $600+ on a gun that I might not like. There has to good reasons why carters are so convened.The reasons have to darn good. The new sterling s/c's weren't up to my standards when we were sponsored by them. The feed was changed and didn't like the banjo bolts for the hard lines, everything else was good to go. So, let me hear/read what you guys think!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

RTP Fan
1 word. Smoooooth. They are about as smooth as you can get, both the pump stroke and trigger (Get a SLIDER though!) are amazing! Plus every one is slightly different from the other, as far as cosmetics go, and you can ask for some special milling if you wish.
ironchef97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to oggfueler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef97 View Post
1 word. Smoooooth. They are about as smooth as you can get, both the pump stroke and trigger (Get a SLIDER though!) are amazing! Plus every one is slightly different from the other, as far as cosmetics go, and you can ask for some special milling if you wish.
+1
oggfueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

RTP Fan
Also, if you know anyone in your area that has one, I would try it out first, just to see if you like it. Although, if you try one without a slider trigger, the experience won't be quite as good...(IMO).

Some say that Carters are nothing more than a fancy phantom with nice milling and an expensive price tag. But there is a reason why people continue to buy them, even though the internal operation of these guns is the exact same. Every Carter is hand crafted and all the parts are fitted with each other. Perfect tolerances, great anno, great milling. Also the trigger frames are really wide with a humpback frame, but this is a good thing. If you like a .45 framed phantom, and then try a Carter humpback framed Buzzard or Comp or something, you won't believe that you even thought the .45 phantom was comfortable at first. At least that's how I felt.

The bad:
Earon and Lauren are not the easiest people to reach, Lauren (his wife) only checks her emails once in a while (every 2 weeks it seems like???) and for some people who really care about how their gun looks, it may be difficult to play with, as messing up the anno/milling with a scratch or three can really suck. I always here stories like "my buzzard was such a beautiful gun, but I couldn't play with it, because I was scared of messing up the anno!" Also, the wait from start to finish of your gun can be agonizing at times...7-10 weeks on average from when Earon gets started on your gun.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
What they said, i was extremely surprise when i got my first buzzard. The pump stroke was much much smoother than my friend phantom, it is a bit heavier, but that doesn't bother me at all.
pk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

I under stand iron. I never thought another marker could be as smooth as a sterling. Maybe I'm being biased. I'm surprised that their not bore drop instead of breech. Maybe I'm thinking of the "old" ways too much. As for the looks,eh. I'm a "run it like a scaled dog" type myself. Any more guys?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Sailor by choice

Send a message via AIM to shoot to thrill

Palmers Fan
I'll contribute in the morning when I'm not so drunk

MCB Feedback

New England Waterman, a nautical life

New England Waterman Photography
shoot to thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

If you're looking for smoothness, Sterlings are smoother.

Carters are pretty much just really solid, spiffy looking Nelsons.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot to thrill View Post
Lol I've seen this response before!
And yea, I'm not qualified to compare to sterlings, that's one pump system/gun I haven't used. But I've used Phantoms, Snipers, CCM S5 and S6s, Pump mags, KPs, PPS houndstooth and Pyres, and of that group I personally feel carters top them all. S6 has a lighter pump stroke though, and it is as smooth. But yea, glad to hear that you're not a wall hanger kind of guy with guns.

Last edited by ironchef97; 04-14-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to oggfueler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot to thrill View Post
oggfueler is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Carter Machine