mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #51 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
try just making the feedport smaller, it will accomplish the samething to a liimited extent. electrical tape is your friend
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #52 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
try just making the feedport smaller, it will accomplish the samething to a liimited extent. electrical tape is your friend
I agree with the electrical tape, you may want to wrap the area you are working on in masking, painting, electrical tape or something of the sort, that way if you slip while filling you don't scratch the feed, only the tape.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #53 (permalink)
ant
Hell in a handbasket

Swing to your local shop, pick up a box of chalk and some kerosene.

Chalk your file before you file aluminum, you'll find the work goes a lot quicker as your file won't pin up as much (fill up with filings) for finish filing, use a smooth double cut (sometimes called second cut) dip it in the kero and file with light smooth cuts, finishes up to leave the barest amount of sanding and polishing.

If you want to do a lot of customising work, for less than $50 you can pick up the only four files you'll ever need:
  • 4" second cut warding file
  • 6" first cut mill file
  • 6" second cut half round
  • 6“ impressioning file (these are the most expensive, but worth they're weight in gold. If your local hardware doesn't have one, ask your local locksmith - jewelers also use them; ask for a rat's tail file)
A file card should only cost you a couple of dollars. Despite having access to mills both CNC and manual, for little jobs files are just as accurate and surprisingly fast and if you look after them, they'll outlast you.

When confused, when in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout

Last edited by CaptainAmerica; 10-12-2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: I like bullet points - and this was a fantastic post!
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #54 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Wow thanks for all the tips guys.

Dukie, That is exactly what I am doing!

Tape is good

I don't plan on doing so many mods that I will require a lot of tools. I just want to get this thing functional.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #55 (permalink)
ant
Hell in a handbasket

No, the grades run dreadnought, bastard, first cut, second cut, smooth and dead smooth. Dreadnought being the coarsest, dead smooth being the finest.

Then you can get single or double cut for each of the last 3 (it really doesn't matter what you get there)

I'd go first cut for the mill file and second for all the rest, there's really no need for smooths and dead smooth for working with aluminum except the impression file, get one as fine as you can find. Becarful Of the tips with impression files, they've got a very fine point that can go clean through your hand (trust me, coming out hurts more than going in:-) and if that tip breaks off, then they're more or less useless. Bastards and dreadnoughts are way too coarse for most things.

The following has some good info:
Using Hand Tools - Files
Attached Images

When confused, when in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout

Last edited by CaptainAmerica; 10-12-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added diagram, with thanks
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #56 (permalink)
Post Whore

Might have found a really nice deal on a 3 axis cnc machine from a buddy here at school. Now to justify buying it!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #57 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
well my hand is getting really tired trying to file down this feed tube....so the faster you get your machine up and running the faster you can fix this for me.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #58 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
Wow thanks for all the tips guys.

Dukie, That is exactly what I am doing!

Tape is good

I don't plan on doing so many mods that I will require a lot of tools. I just want to get this thing functional.
No you're not. Make the ID of the feed port smaller, not the thickness. Sperical Stack up can make a huge difference based on the ID of the port. A DSG will hold from 19-21 balls depending on paint size. Figure the paint isn't likely to vary more than .010 from large to small on average. That adds up to what should be a .020" difference in stack length. In reality It varies 1.36"-1.38" ( well not really but thats the effective difference) all due to stack up inside the feed tube. You can't control the ball size, but you can control the ID of the port in the block.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #59 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Ok so I have miss understood something.

What your saying is that I need to make the part where the balls leave the feed and enter the breach smaller? As in reduce the room available for the second ball to get trapped by the third?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #60 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
Ok so I have miss understood something.

What your saying is that I need to make the part where the balls leave the feed and enter the breach smaller? As in reduce the room available for the second ball to get trapped by the third?
just layer some electrical tape inside the feed so that the hole that feeds down inside the body is smaller in diameter. if it doesnt help, it was only some electrical tape.

Just like taping a a hopper neck to fit a large feedneck, only on the inside instead of the outside.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI