mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

Phantom Stab users

I recently bought a Palmer's Cart Regulator 12 gram changer for one of my phantoms to see if it would give me a few more shots per 12ie. Anyway after a few 12 grams I figured out how to get my PSI to 800 again. My question is, what is a good PSI to stick with?

I know that normally that phantoms work at 800 or so PSI. I'm new to stabs and I am not sure if just making it 800 PSI again will do anything. Can I squeeze a few more shots at a lower PSI from a 12 gram? And if so will I need to crank up the TPC to do so?

Also I have noticed that this changer really hates Leland 12 grams. The first three I was using to get my PSI to 800, didn't even get pierced. I had to find some older crossman 12ies to use.
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

cant remember, but i believe ~650psi was the sweetspot for a regged 12g CO2 phantom.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=ArchAngel=- View Post
cant remember, but i believe ~650psi was the sweetspot for a regged 12g CO2 phantom.
Yeah, that's what I have heard as well.
I actually had mine down to about 490 PSI last time I played, at 270 fps, but that was with a red spring and the TPC in a bit.
So...650 PSI with stock silver spring sounds about right.

How do you like the CART reg? Besides the changer problems obviously. Is the threading different on it? Could you maybe throw an oring or some other shim in the bottom to allow it to actually pierce?
BassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

Ok, I'll have to kill a few more 12 grams to get it around 650 then. Mahaloes for the quick responses. I have to change out springs too perhaps, maybe before I play Saturday.

The CART is a little longer than the normal one and yeah it seems to have different threads. I haven't used it in a game yet because I want to make sure I can play with the right PSI first LOL. I will try the O-ring idea to see if it may work.

I like the overall design although adjusting the thing is a pain in the rear because you have to remove it to adjust the stab setting, thus wasting a 12 gram if you dialed it wrong. I'm hoping to shoot about 275-280fps though so I'll try to keep it between 500-650 psi to see how that works first. Will write up a review if I can't find one later on.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The new style stab while compact, is a bit of a PITA to adjust.
I would get a reg tester and feed it with a tank. Set it to 750psi or so. That would give you the most hit pressure wise and a boost from consistency.

650psi works, but it takes some trial and error to see what is best for your phantom.

People think I'm crazy, but I love the design and utility of the sideline stabby. When I get tired of using it on the phantom, I can bounce it to something else.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Foreign Eedjit

CCM Fan
Mine seems to sweetspot at around 480-500 PSI. Velocity drops by about 40-60 FPS when I hit 530 PSI. But, I have to mention, that is with a fluted hammer & substantially lighter valve spring (equivalent to slightly lighter than an autococker sear spring).
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Once u guys hit the high 400s, do u ever get any problems with venting/leaking when u pump the bolt back?
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

I guess I should have stated my whole set up as well just in case:

ASP Roundhead, SSC fluted hammer, stock springs, HSC bottomline, CART 12 gram changer, SSC Freak Bored 2 piece DYE ultralite with Whoosh tip. 14inches total

So the fluted hammer mixed with a higher PSI will actually reduce my velocity? Thanks for the warning. I was planning to change the main spring to a red and have the TPC all the way out too.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, Halo is a special case, because he has a lightened valve spring.

But, yeah, your velocity will be reduced if you go too high, based on the sweetspot of the reg. I would just put your reg at 650 PSI with a stock (silver) spring. See where that lands you and go from there.

I'm thinking (for my own setup, the relevant upgrades to this discussion are: SSC fluted hammer, ported TPC, freak bored 11", Sideline Stab) that I can use the stock silver spring, up the pressure to 650 PSI and be around where I want to be FPS wise. If anything I'll be a little short, so I can just screw in the TPC a bit.

The alternative would be: red main, back down pressure to around 500 (guesstimate). Not sure which is the better option at the moment.

Last edited by BassDude; 03-29-2012 at 11:52 PM.
BassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Phantomaddict

I ran about 200 rounds through the PPS Stab I just received. I was in the process of sweet spotting and got up to around 600psi on the stab (before I ran out of measurable paint) that put my FPS at about 270-280 with the TPC in 2 full turns...

Marker Setup:

11" Stock Barrel
ASP o-ring TPC non-ported
ASP detent modded breech
VSC Setup with PPS Phantom Stab
Mosa 12ies

I had not reached the point where FPS started to drop off so I suppose I had not yet reached the sweet spot... I have a break beam chrono on order and will continue the process once it arrives...

M
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI