mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Millrat

Phantom Feed & Air Source (Work In Progress)

So here's a look into one of my many phantom expeditions... Finally got the long #3 drill bit I'd been waiting on to start this and got to work on it this afternoon. Currently all the work has been done on a manual milling machine, so drilling the long centered 0.213" hole was quite the challenge. What still remains to be done is the majority of the tapping and turning the front end on a lathe down to 3/4" so 1" aluminum tubing can sleeve over it and be secured in place to be the feed tube, and also a bracket to attach it to the top of the phantom. So here's some photos, ultimately it'll end up looking similar to Punisher's crowdbuster feed tube assembly expect the 12 gram will drop out the top and the paintballs will load toward the front of the feedtube.

(The 1/4"-28 threads for the pierce pin assembly have yet to be tapped which is why it sticks out so much.)

Punisher's Crowdbuster

O"Lane

Last edited by O'Lane; 04-17-2012 at 10:23 PM.
O'Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

I look forward to this!
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
This is exciting!

I would suggest having the drop out 90* to one side or the other (prefer left) as it will be much easier to dump and load a 12ie. If it is facing strait up you have to flip the gun upside down to dump at 12g.

Second thought, from experience. Phantoms do not like to have much of a space between the feed tube and the body. If the spacer allows for more than one ball to stack up ontop of the bolt, the second ball gets stuck in the feed tube and what results is chop city! If your spacer is really thin you shouldn't have a problem. If your feed tube is ramped in such away to facilitate the second and third ball in the stack to move backwards, then you shouldn't have problem either.

I really like this Idea though It would make for AMAZING rifles!
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Are you planning to also add one of your trigger groups to this project as well?

My Feedback:
D3adpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Millrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Jackal View Post
I look forward to this!
Figured you probably would be, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
This is exciting!

I would suggest having the drop out 90* to one side or the other (prefer left) as it will be much easier to dump and load a 12ie. If it is facing strait up you have to flip the gun upside down to dump at 12g.

Second thought, from experience. Phantoms do not like to have much of a space between the feed tube and the body. If the spacer allows for more than one ball to stack up ontop of the bolt, the second ball gets stuck in the feed tube and what results is chop city! If your spacer is really thin you shouldn't have a problem. If your feed tube is ramped in such away to facilitate the second and third ball in the stack to move backwards, then you shouldn't have problem either.

I really like this Idea though It would make for AMAZING rifles!
I agree with you on dropping it out left or right, this current one is being done as more of a proof on concept part, once I get the kinks worked out I'll be able to expand the design to left/right dropouts as well as rearward feeds, etc. As for the chopping issue, I've got the spacing fairly low and a proper curve designed for the ramped face, so hopefully we don't get chopping issues, thanks for the suggestions though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3adpool View Post
Are you planning to also add one of your trigger groups to this project as well?
Not sure, since it's a trial part, I've really got no major plans for it... It'll probably end up for sale on MCB, haha.
O'Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Can I has dibs? lol

My Feedback:
D3adpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
ROARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, very nice *turns and whispers "Crap, he called DIBS!"*
Ziggymarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

What about turn it around so the 12 gram changer is in front and you can still have or an integrated feed tube system in back? I'm not big on spring loaded, wastes valuable change time. But those are just my two 円
Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
AKA "BlackGates-5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Jackal View Post
What about turn it around so the 12 gram changer is in front and you can still have or an integrated feed tube system in back? I'm not big on spring loaded, wastes valuable change time. But those are just my two 円
I 2nd this about the springfeed... The only thing I don't like about my spring fed Phantom (and the only reason I'm not having you do one for my Phantom Rifle) is reloading under fire can be hazardous But again, that's just my opinion... others my differ

Definitely cool work though Dan. I love that it gets it the drop out out of the way.
O-RINGS FOR SALE (EVERY SIZE! ANY QTY!): http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...110-115-a.html

My Feedback:http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
short304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

Sigh, reminds me of the feed I was commissioning Pun to do for a phantom I had in the works with him. Alas... It would look really good on the rifle-phantom...

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI