mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 11-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
hth
Seasoned Member

I have a setup much more budget to donuts'. It's essentially the same setup but I have it on a acrylic pump, regular 15rd tube with acrylic parts, bike grip, and a 98 custom Asa with a ndz on/off. I have not had the chance to run that setup yet however, I did run one of my phantoms using hpa and it shot 280+ fps.

My hpa phantom setup is a bba configuration, using a red spring, ported tpc, and trifluted hammer. I think the upgrades really helped the marker hit the fps that it is shooting at
hth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

My setup is what you see outside. Internals are stock. Velocity set at 280 for CO2, when hpa is attached to mine, it shoots the 290-300 range.
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
hth
Seasoned Member

Donut your phantom is όber sexy! Was considering building a phantom up to that point but realized that I could get a brand new ccm after its said and done. So both my phantoms are going for sale as soon as I find a decent camera.

But that is weird that hpa shoots hotter than co2, I will need to try my new phantom with hpa now since its stock parts too.
hth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Keep in mind that phantoms are picky. I ran three other markers with phantom internals on HPA and each one acted differently when I set them up the same. I got lucky on this one.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Suprised me yesterday. I just got a 13ci tank on ebay and tested at the field. It was sitting at 280 fps in warmer weather on CO2. When I tested it on the HPA tank it was running 310'ish but I was running a shorter barrel (sub 8" on HPA 14" freak bored on CO2). This is running stock springs.
Aside from stock I have opened the powertube and polished up the internals but I don't know if that had much effect.
oldschool45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

What part of the powertube did you open up? Opening the diameter of the air ports on the cupseal side should have a greater influence on the air flow. That's just my deduction, Be sure to check out CJ's/bacci's write up on powertubes. My stock #4 powertube does well with HPA.

Here it is:

Power tubes for short barrel guns
Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Might want to check this out as the slight upward angle on the cci 45 grip frame bothers me: ASP Online Store: CCI 5 Degree Mounting Block
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Donut,
yes I enlarged the ports on the cup seal side of the powertube, opened up the inside diameter of the powertube then sanded everything up to 1500 grit then buffed it out.
Powertubes chuck up nicely in a drillpress but once there you have to be very careful.
oldschool45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

So I used the red spring that came originally with my Phantom. Installed pops with hpa and it shot right around 285. I didn't change anything but normally when I run vert air I'm shooting 260-270 and using hpa it went up about 20 fps.

Also figured out I can't stand Asa with a bottle and stock class so I removed them and just screwed my tank into the vertical air and it feels way better
Duybuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Nice! I had more or less the same results (used diff springs though) with my 500-550psi output hpa tank.
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI