mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   CCI (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/cci/)
-   -   Hammer Sear trimming (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/cci/220289-hammer-sear-trimming.html)

SilentNuke 12-04-2012 05:54 PM

Hammer Sear trimming

I am trying to lighten up the trigger pull on my phantom. I was hoping someone on here may have a picture of a sear that as been sanded down a little. Or if you have any suggestions.

I am using a gargoyle trigger frame if that helps.

ApoC_101 12-04-2012 06:00 PM

how much resistance is the trigger return spring adding? the stock CCI hammer/sear to bolt interface doesn't take much to let go... I've never cut the sear down on one of them and I don't really recommend it unless you've got an extra one in the parts kit... may cause it to catch unreliably and fire too easily, yunno?

I'd take off the trigger frame and see if swapping out the trigger spring will reduce it's weight, get it to minimal sufficient return tension and then tweak the hammer/sear after that :)

oldschool45 12-04-2012 06:18 PM

Have polished the bottom of the sear and where it touches the bolt & the bolt?

SilentNuke 12-04-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApoC_101 (Post 2552702)
how much resistance is the trigger return spring adding? the stock CCI hammer/sear to bolt interface doesn't take much to let go... I've never cut the sear down on one of them and I don't really recommend it unless you've got an extra one in the parts kit... may cause it to catch unreliably and fire too easily, yunno?

I'd take off the trigger frame and see if swapping out the trigger spring will reduce it's weight, get it to minimal sufficient return tension and then tweak the hammer/sear after that :)

Good recommendation! thank you ApoC_101. I ordered an extra sear from Mike when I placed my order for a revolution regulator. I don't want to make any drastic changes without finding all available information. I hate re-buying stuff because I make mistakes.

I will also try and put a lighter spring in the trigger frame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool45 (Post 2552724)
Have polished the bottom of the sear and where it touches the bolt & the bolt?

^^I was planning on doing this, I don't have my bolt from Mike yet. I did something like this to my last phantom. I spent a lot of time polishing the bolt. I didn't spend very much time polishing the sear. I'll try that first. Thank you!

Greenmtnphantom 12-04-2012 07:55 PM

Look up Publishers Trigger job on here

SilentNuke 12-04-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom (Post 2552840)
Look up Publishers Trigger job on here

That is why I am considering shaving down the sear in the first place.

oldschool45 12-05-2012 06:52 AM

Nuke, what exactly are you going for? Smooth? Light? Least amount of travel? or D all of the above?
Smooth, I'd polish all of the contact surfaces including roll pins if you can get to them.
Light, is going to be part polishing (light springs but sand paper contact surfaces will be like shooting a Taurus Millennium pistol) Trigger spring is 1 place but you also have the sear spring itself you could play with if you are willling to risk it.
Least amount of travel, you'd need to install & configure a set screw.

SilentNuke 12-05-2012 10:38 AM

D) All of the above.

I've polished the sear.
I've lighted the trigger spring in the RTR frame.

I would like to polish the pin in the hammer. I don't know how to get the pin out without muffing it up. When the pin is out I would also like to lighten that a little.

As far as a set screw I imagine I need to drill/tap for one in the trigger frame. If so ill probably leave it alone I don't want to muff up my frame.

SilentNuke 12-05-2012 12:28 PM

Any clue on how to get the pin out?

ApoC_101 12-05-2012 01:38 PM

I don't think polishing it will make a noticeable difference, but to get it out you'll need to use a little punch pin, hammer, and some kind of shim/spacer under the sear to keep the whole thing flat while you punch it out (same drill for reinstallation). I usually do this sort of thing on a table with a groove in it, so the hammer can sit in the groove and then the spacer will keep the whole thing lying flat. the absolute best thing would be to make a jig for it out of wood, I've never bothered since I don't do it very often.