mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   CCI (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/cci/)
-   -   The next batch of Roundheads... Brass? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/cci/225699-next-batch-roundheads-brass.html)

Have Blue 02-07-2013 10:12 PM

The next batch of Roundheads... Brass?

I have now turned all of the hundred-twenty-some Roundhead blanks into finished bodies, and all have been sold. Demand certainly dictates that I make more, as I was never able to even come close to keeping the things on the shelf to begin with. Thanks guys - I love my customers, and knowing that people like the stuff I make is what keeps me going.

The original blanks were machined by a local machine shop that I had a connection with via an old coworker. They did an okay job... on about 65% of the bodies. The rest were either too short or too long, and I had to mic the entire batch and have them redo all the ones that were out of spec. They also used a 3-jaw chuck on their lathe, and I had to spend a whole lot of time at the bench grinder with a 3M wheel (followed by long spells in the vibe deburrer) to get all the marks out. In the end, I still had a product that I can stand behind in quality, but it took a lot more work than anticipated, which meant I wasn't able to make them as fast as desired.

So the next batch of blanks will be done by a different shop. By someone who knows paintball guns. Someone who knows quality and has impeccable ethics. Someone who knows Phantoms. Someone who makes Phantoms. Really, I should have had Mike just machine the blanks for me in the first place...

People have asked about different materials for Roundhead bodies, which I can certainly get behind. What engineer wouldn't crave Titanium parts? In talking to Mike, it sounds like brass would be the most feasible non-Al material to use, so let's start there.

IF ASP (uh, me) were to offer a brass Roundhead body for no more (and ideally less) than $100 USD, would you purchase one? And would you be content with a plain SC body, or would you kick and scream and yell 'poopyhead' and demand to have a left offset, right offset, and/or First Strike ported body?

Hypothetically and all.

Mr. Hick 02-07-2013 10:28 PM

I'm down for cash on a center fed stock class body made of the holy velcor metal of doom (brass)

VERY EXCITE!

Hypothetically, and all.

pk5 02-07-2013 10:29 PM

I'll take two if they are brass

idkfa 02-07-2013 10:48 PM

I'll hold out for another aluminum run... maybe stainless steel (though that will be a pain to machine).

AbeShip 02-07-2013 10:52 PM

I would pick one up if it was RF :)

Have Blue 02-08-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idkfa (Post 2618160)
I'll hold out for another aluminum run... maybe stainless steel (though that will be a pain to machine).

Fear not, more regular aluminum will be coming - I figured maybe I'd mix things up a little first.

808Jackal 02-08-2013 02:31 AM

No mixing. I need aluminum... LOL Okay fine I'll take titanium...

trygve 02-08-2013 02:39 AM

I would take at least one.

Zapf 02-08-2013 03:08 AM

IDGAF about brass. I would buy a vert SC body with a first strike port in aluminum in a heartbeat.

Wraith 02-08-2013 03:24 AM

Stock class in shiny brass? I could be down with that.
:gunsfiring: