mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   CCI (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/cci/)
-   -   Best sight for phantom? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/cci/233815-best-sight-phantom.html)

AustinNH 05-19-2013 01:41 PM

Best sight for phantom?

I'm pretty new to my phantom and haven't really gotten used to aiming it. I started with a CCI ghost ring but that doesn't seem much better than no sight. Now I have a red-dot and that improved my aiming noticeably, but I'd like something more compact that doesn't use batteries. Any suggestions?

Or is a sight just a crutch for poor aiming and I should practice aiming instinctively?

Panda 05-19-2013 01:44 PM

I would say practice. Do you have a stock? that helps most people steady their guns.

AustinNH 05-19-2013 02:02 PM

Yes I do use a stock. Maybe I should just try to go red-dot "cold turkey" and force myself to aim instinctively.

808Jackal 05-19-2013 04:20 PM

Armson red dot

THE-SHOOTIST 05-19-2013 04:57 PM

Try a BSA 30mm red dot. They're cheap, $30.00 and work really well.
I will second the Armson too, but they're pricey.

Bow 05-19-2013 05:07 PM

I have a BSA that I just got. I can't say how it'll work on a Phantom but I really like it on my Mag so far, and I would like to stick it on my KP3. You do need a way to mount it though, like a dovetail to weaver mount.

sniper42 05-19-2013 05:10 PM

Armsons are nice but their downfall is that they require both eyes to use since they are an occluded eye sight. This translates to you having to stick most of your head out of cover to utilize the them. I prefer my cheap $30 red dot over my armson.

AustinNH 05-22-2013 09:40 AM

What about sighting down the barrel with no sight at all? It seems that this is how most open-class pumpers aim. Will and undercocking kit significantly help with this? Anyone have first-hand experience of UC kit helping their aim?

THE-SHOOTIST 05-22-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinNH (Post 2714700)
What about sighting down the barrel with no sight at all? It seems that this is how most open-class pumpers aim. Will and undercocking kit significantly help with this? Anyone have first-hand experience of UC kit helping their aim?

The UC rigs seem to help with the "follow-up" shot. The gun doesn't drift off of the target as much as it does with the wrap-around pump handle.
If you've played with Sheridan types of guns, PGP's, PMI's, Snipers and the like, the transition to a Phantom might throw you off some.

The "All Americans" played with Snipers for years. They learned the hard way that there was a noticeable disadvantage with this type of gun, the efficiency while running 12 grams wasn't there. 20 shots max. No "auto-trigger" unless you had the ad-hoc lever system, and a longer lock time.
When they decided to go with a Nelson valve design they noticed a difficulty in the transition. The "muscle memory" of running Snipers for years was difficult to unlearn. So, they came up with "The Boss", which had an undercocking design, with all the ergonomics of a Sniper, but with a Nelson valve train. This was the smartest thing that Smart Parts ever came up with.

artguy63 05-23-2013 09:27 AM

No sight.

Muscle memory man.