mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 06-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Phantom on HPA with CP reg

Hey, i was wondering if i can get away with just changing the springs to be able to run my phantom at 500psi (max output of CP reg). co2 is not an option and i have an hpa 48/45 tank. If unachievable i will soon acquire a ASA to 1/8 thread adapter so i can go reg-less. Any help is appreciated ive been searching around for a couple weeks and forums can be difficult to actually grasp good info from because so many people say different things.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I think you'll find the 48/45 tank to be a bit big on a Phantom, but I can think of no physical reason not to run it depending on the output pressure. Your 500psi out of the reg sounds way low for a Phantom. According to Mike, they want 750 psi minimum, and are happiest in the ~880-900 psi range that Co2 usually runs at.

I've run with a Ninja 13ci HPA tank on my VSC setup several times when the weather wasn't working out for reliable Co2 use. The're wedged at 800-900 psi out of the box, thoguh.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Yea i know with stock springs they like high pressure, but after research im finding people playing with their valve/main spring combination to achieve lower operating pressures. i found an old thread on here of someone running their phantom as low as 450psi by just changing springs. id like to know what springs i would need to change to so i could be able to run mine at about 500psi.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Underdog? I got your back

If you can find a Kingman Hammer power tube assy. It would help with running the low pressure, as It has a larger diameter cup seal. Sort of like a LP valve for a Cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Mine is running very consistent at 650 psi with Red Main Spring and the stock silver valve spring. I tried to run it lower but didn't have any luck with diffetent/clipping springs. I did give up quick though
Snipe78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

so you ran into trouble when you tried to go lower than 650 with stock valve spring/ red main?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Ya my +/- fps went up and the velocity became unpredictable with minor adjustments. I was using 15 year old nelson springs clipped to size which could be the reason. After reading a lot of the tuning guides it really seems that different phantoms respond to different things. Mine likes 650psi red/silver more than unregulated silver/silver.
Snipe78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

maybe thats why its hard to find an easy answer, people claim operating psi's as low 450 but they never really say EXACTLY how.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

My phantom is running at around 400psi or below, and still shooting 270-280fps. Blue mainspring, and no valve spring. Here's a drawing of what the inside of my valve looks like.

Silentnuke had a lot of success with a similar setup with a CP reg and hpa. Though im not selling kits atm.

Edit: I use a custom made powertube too

Last edited by Wizbaa; 06-06-2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: adding info
Wizbaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

interesting. ive yet to see something like that or hear of people running no valve spring, hats off to you sir.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI