mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!
 
Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connecticut

Welcome to the forum. The topic of Phantom barrels is a popular one. The variety of Phantom barrels, as well as inserts vs. full bore-control barrels has been discussed in many threads here. Do a search using keywords like "Lapco", "Freak inserts", "bore control", etc. for tons of helpful info. As mentioned, paint size and quality is the primary factor when discussing barrels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Super_Stanchy Customs - mcarterbrown.com He's done 3 for me so far and is doing a new barrel for my Redux. MCB top airsmith. Feyd.........
Ryan from Super Stanchy Customs WAS the "go-to guy" for getting your existing Phantom barrel Freak bored. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. There are a few threads like this one HERE posted by his unhappy customers relating stories about how he has become unresponsive, not performed agreed upon work, or not returned items he was supposed to have worked on. You should also read his feedback thread. I would avoid using SSC at all costs until he redeems himself to the paintball community.

If you opt for inserts, a new Freak-bored barrel from CCI will be superior in quality than having an existing one bored out. Over the years, I've found full-length sized bore barrels to be superior over inserts when it comes to accuracy and efficiency, and would recommend going that route.
__________________
Tactical Assault Command
one of the oldest teams in paintball with original members still playing!


Authorized CCI Dealer Specializing in Phantom Repairs and Custom Work
Serving the Greater Fairfield and New Haven County Area of CT Exclusively


Slim's Spring Stock Classic - USA vs. Canada!

Buy my BadAss Stock-Class T-Shirts


My CCI, RTR, Carter, Flasc and TechT Stock-Class Parts Purge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim
There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference.
My MCB Feedback
Slim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rec Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
Welcome to the forum. The topic of Phantom barrels is a popular one. The variety of Phantom barrels, as well as inserts vs. full bore-control barrels has been discussed in many threads here. Do a search using keywords like "Lapco", "Freak inserts", "bore control", etc. for tons of helpful info. As mentioned, paint size and quality is the primary factor when discussing barrels.



Ryan from Super Stanchy Customs WAS the "go-to guy" for getting your existing Phantom barrel Freak bored. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. There are a few threads like this one HERE posted by his unhappy customers relating stories about how he has become unresponsive, not performed agreed upon work, or not returned items he was supposed to have worked on. You should also read his feedback thread. I would avoid using SSC at all costs until he redeems himself to the paintball community.

If you opt for inserts, a new Freak-bored barrel from CCI will be superior in quality than having an existing one bored out. Over the years, I've found full-length sized bore barrels to be superior over inserts when it comes to accuracy and efficiency, and would recommend going that route.
I have been out of paintball for a few years so I don't exactly know the paint I will be using this upcoming season.... So should I play a few time this season and find the size of paint I will be using and go for a control bore full length barrel instead of inserts?? Also the TechT iFit system and DW fibur system with freak inserts have caught my eye and I didn't know if anyone had an opinion on those... As a quick fix for roll outs and help acceracy and efficiency...
den_den25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
Active Member
 
StockClassPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada Eh

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I have used the methods suggested above and will give a quick run down. Control bore length and its benefits is still a disputed topic as are many things in paintball. I have used full length control barrels, techt ifit, and freak. like previosuly stated full length control barrels are the best in terms of efficiency. However the issue is that you will likely only have one or two barrels and if you run into paint on either extreme of the size scale you will end up with barrel breaks or roll outs. For example .681 control length barrel. Where i play in canada the paint size in my area is frequently .677-.680 and i end up with rollouts. Some more humid areas can have paint up to .687 leading to breaks. Always nice to have a full length control barrel when the paint is just that perfect size.

on the opposite end you have the ifit kit which has the smallest control bore length of about 1-2 inches. You will see some efficiency gains but no where near as much as a full length control bore kit or freak kit. The primary use is to prevent rollouts because there have been days where i have used the tiny .673/.670 insert. The way i frequently use the kit is with a full length control bore barrel to prevent rollouts. Should also be noted that the ifit kit increases your barrel length which can be desired in some situations such as woodsball when a tight profile is not essential.

The intermediate option is freak bored barrels which are the favorite among the community. You get the best of both worlds, various sizes of bores while good efficiency gains. another benefit is if you have a unique anno on your phantom that you would like to preserve you could have your barrel bored to maintain its stylish look. The ifit kit and freak kit can be used together. It all comes down to personal preference. if you have a freak bored barrel it eliminates the need for an ifit kit in my opinion, however, i use them together.

My recommendation is to get a freak bored barrel and a few inserts AND pick up a full length control barrel in whichever bore size is appropriate for your area. Use the freak most of the time but when appropriate use the full length barrel. Flasc makes a good barrel kit for phantoms and i believe they offer .679 and .681? although they have a more tactical look. Lapco also make amazing barrels and i believe they have them in .681 and .684. Hope this helps.
StockClassPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rec Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockClassPunk View Post
I have used the methods suggested above and will give a quick run down. Control bore length and its benefits is still a disputed topic as are many things in paintball. I have used full length control barrels, techt ifit, and freak. like previosuly stated full length control barrels are the best in terms of efficiency. However the issue is that you will likely only have one or two barrels and if you run into paint on either extreme of the size scale you will end up with barrel breaks or roll outs. For example .681 control length barrel. Where i play in canada the paint size in my area is frequently .677-.680 and i end up with rollouts. Some more humid areas can have paint up to .687 leading to breaks. Always nice to have a full length control barrel when the paint is just that perfect size.

on the opposite end you have the ifit kit which has the smallest control bore length of about 1-2 inches. You will see some efficiency gains but no where near as much as a full length control bore kit or freak kit. The primary use is to prevent rollouts because there have been days where i have used the tiny .673/.670 insert. The way i frequently use the kit is with a full length control bore barrel to prevent rollouts. Should also be noted that the ifit kit increases your barrel length which can be desired in some situations such as woodsball when a tight profile is not essential.

The intermediate option is freak bored barrels which are the favorite among the community. You get the best of both worlds, various sizes of bores while good efficiency gains. another benefit is if you have a unique anno on your phantom that you would like to preserve you could have your barrel bored to maintain its stylish look. The ifit kit and freak kit can be used together. It all comes down to personal preference. if you have a freak bored barrel it eliminates the need for an ifit kit in my opinion, however, i use them together.

My recommendation is to get a freak bored barrel and a few inserts AND pick up a full length control barrel in whichever bore size is appropriate for your area. Use the freak most of the time but when appropriate use the full length barrel. Flasc makes a good barrel kit for phantoms and i believe they offer .679 and .681? although they have a more tactical look. Lapco also make amazing barrels and i believe they have them in .681 and .684. Hope this helps.
Thank you that was a very helpful post.. Wher would you suggest going to get the current barrel i have for my phantom bored for freak inserts?
den_den25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Active Member
 
StockClassPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada Eh

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by den_den25 View Post
Thank you that was a very helpful post.. Wher would you suggest going to get the current barrel i have for my phantom bored for freak inserts?
Many machinists will do it, for me personally there is a guy on my paintball team that freak bores barrels and he is local to me but local is Canada. SSC seems to be popular but i'm not up to date on his feedback, send him a message and see what he says.
StockClassPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!
 
Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by den_den25 View Post
Thank you that was a very helpful post.. Wher would you suggest going to get the current barrel i have for my phantom bored for freak inserts?
This is the problem. The Phantom barrel is difficult to Freak bore due to the location of the threads on the shank, and amount of available material. Currently, I don't know of any reputable machinists who are Freak boring Phantom barrels. Again, even if SSC does reply to any inquiries, I'd be very cautious using him until he reestablishes his reputation.

Note that with the TechT iFit kit that you will either need to use a larger ID pump, or an undercocking kit (which I wouldn't personally recommend due to the many issues I've experienced using quite a few different kits).
__________________
Tactical Assault Command
one of the oldest teams in paintball with original members still playing!


Authorized CCI Dealer Specializing in Phantom Repairs and Custom Work
Serving the Greater Fairfield and New Haven County Area of CT Exclusively


Slim's Spring Stock Classic - USA vs. Canada!

Buy my BadAss Stock-Class T-Shirts


My CCI, RTR, Carter, Flasc and TechT Stock-Class Parts Purge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim
There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference.
My MCB Feedback
Slim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM
 
808Jackal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Honolulu, HI

RedNeckSniper just did a lot of around 10 freak bores and various work for me.

RedneckSniper / BS Customs
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Olde Basterd#2
 
Feyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Combat Zone club 66

CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
Paintball Gateway has factory Phantom Freaked barrels in stock as we speak. Feyd..........
__________________
Feyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Wraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Iowa

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by den_den25 View Post
I have been out of paintball for a few years so I don't exactly know the paint I will be using this upcoming season.... So should I play a few time this season and find the size of paint I will be using and go for a control bore full length barrel instead of inserts?? Also the TechT iFit system and DW fibur system with freak inserts have caught my eye and I didn't know if anyone had an opinion on those... As a quick fix for roll outs and help acceracy and efficiency...
I've found my best quick fix for rollouts has been the ASP detent mod. Paint has gotten woefully hard to predict, as it seems quality control has gone down the tubes at a lot of the manufacturers, so playing to see what size it'll be won't do much good.

Were it me, I'd just shell out for a factory bored CCI barrel and have Mike over at Air Soldier (Have Blue here on MCB) mill a Phantom body for his detents. Rollouts solved, and you can easily use standard Freak inserts to size to paint without having to change out anything else on your Phantom but the barrel.
__________________
"Electric paintball guns are a good way for kids to support their local field by buying so much extra paint."

Feedback : Click Here
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #30 (permalink)
Olde Basterd#2
 
Feyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Combat Zone club 66

CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
The Have Blue mod is great for double feeds! Feyd..........
__________________
Feyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC