mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 03-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Posting more than playing

Prefer Phantom Over Sniper?

Similar discussions have been had I am sure, but do you prefer Phantom (Nelson valve) over the Sniper platform, and why?

I have owned nice CCMs, and recently built a nifty Snipe but find that I miss the single tube, lighter weight, and versatility of the Phantom - especially stock class.

MCB +42/-0
PBN +53/-0
eBay +442/-0

Last edited by iamthelazerviking; 03-09-2017 at 09:37 PM.
iamthelazerviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I didn't at first but do now somewhat. There was a steep learning curve.

For me it's about the phantom. Crazy simple and reliable. And with all mike's updates they have very few drawbacks and a ton of positives. They can be set up many different ways to suit the user. Now that I have the hang of it I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Just fyi everyone the answer is stock class for all questions related to paintball and to solve all paintball related problems except carbon emissions because we gotta use those 12 grams.

Double FYI for paintball rules there should be no "offer" of surrender, its either mandatory surrender at X distance when guy is behind you or no surrender and you get shot in the booty. "offer" of surrender makes for some ridiculous and dangerous john woo tactics.
Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I've been trying to follow slap's lead and get used to it but haven't yet. It's a far superior setup in a stock class configuration versus the sniper.

I just need to do some shooting and get out there and do some playing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
Happens to me every time I go down on my sister. I told her to take care of that ****.

(Wait... what section is this in?!?)
babshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I prefer the phantom in stock class and open class. I have owned a CCM, but I ended up selling it. My main marker is a Lapco grey ghost (basically a tweeked phantom).
For open class, it is harder to get a good undercocking kit for a phantom, but it is possible. It is also hard to break in the phantom to be smooth, but it can be pretty smooth.
I prefer phantoms for two reasons in this order:
1. The single tube seems way more natural to me.
2. The simplicity.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
I prefer the phantom in stock class and open class. I have owned a CCM, but I ended up selling it. My main marker is a Lapco grey ghost (basically a tweeked phantom).
For open class, it is harder to get a good undercocking kit for a phantom, but it is possible. It is also hard to break in the phantom to be smooth, but it can be pretty smooth.
I prefer phantoms for two reasons in this order:
1. The single tube seems way more natural to me.
2. The simplicity.
Much agreed. My Sniper almost feels *too* smooth from what I'm used to. I'll probably own both, saving Phantom for stock class only, although I always enjoyed open class with them.

MCB +42/-0
PBN +53/-0
eBay +442/-0
Old 03-10-2017, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Started with a Nelspot. Went to a PGP and then to a KP. These were my tournament guns until the Bushmaster SI. I wore the Bushie out and bought a Phantom. Have had and still have several Snipers as I had teammates who swore by them. I can't shoot the damn things for the life of me. I stick with a Phantom now, and a Sterling. KP's and PGP's when I'm feeling "nostalgic".
The Snipers collect dust.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm a diehard Sniper fan. I've been playing with one Sniper or another as my go to marker since early 90's. I love the way it points, very natural. It's almost like an extension of my hand. And I swear it shoots further than any normal barreled gun out there. My current Snipers are super quiet too.

I can see the allure of the Phantom. I have two. The light weight is amazing, and the damn things just always work. but even with an undercooking kit they're no way near as smooth as my Snipers. They are the bomb as dedicated stock class markers though. My Snipers are super low pressure open class only guns.
nuppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Phantom is great for Stock Class but for open class you can't beat the sniper platform. The phantom as an open class marker dose the job but I feel the sniper dose it better. What I do like about the phantom is how cheap it is to have a marker that dose everything and can be converted to suit your style. They are rock solid reliable, cheap but still great shooters. I feel like every pump player should own a phantom.

Last edited by Mr Idiot Box; 03-10-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think it just depends on priorities. Is the smoothest pump stroke known to man more important, or running around like a lunatic?

Call me crazy, but isn't pump all about the added challenge? Doesn't a more challenging pump stroke add a little something something in the machismo category?

I mean shooting people out should just be a backup plan for when you can't run up and barrel tag them first. Am I right?
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang*Bang** View Post
I think it just depends on priorities. Is the smoothest pump stroke known to man more important, or running around like a lunatic?

Call me crazy, but isn't pump all about the added challenge? Doesn't a more challenging pump stroke add a little something something in the machismo category?

I mean shooting people out should just be a backup plan for when you can't run up and barrel tag them first. Am I right?
Some very valid points!!

MCB +42/-0
PBN +53/-0
eBay +442/-0

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI