mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 07-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Disappointed with my Phantom

I took my new (used) Phantom shooting in my backyard today and I have to say that I'm disappointed. I expected it to be better than my Superbolt pump but boy was I mistaken.

I bought a used Phantom from here (Wevo undercocking kit, bottom air) and gave it a thorough cleaning and relubing. Everything seemed ok when I broke it down. Reset the TPC because the set screw was a little loose. Bought a right feed and ASP detent mod from ASP and a brand new Lapco Microshot, and used my Ninja 13ci HPA tank. I also tried my Empire tank on it.

So the first of my problems began when I kept getting random shoot downs (massive drops in fps/pressure) and suspected my Empire tank. Wildly inconsistent shots both in fps and pressure. Had to leave my TPS screwed all the way in because otherwise it would get above 300fps.

After suspecting the tank to be problematic, I decided to use my Ninja tank. Although there wasn't the massive 40-50fps (oh forgot to mention I do have a chrono) dropoffs, the fps was still wildly inconsistent. +/- 20 fps. I tried switching balls (I have both Marbs and Evil) and barrels (Lapco and stock) and messed with the TPC and could not get consistent FPS...I also could not even get it to shoot straight.

And finally the ASP detent mod does NOT work. Maybe mine was milled slightly off, but the bolt actually halfway touches the first o-ring, so unless I cock the gun ever so gently, balls are shot out over the detent rings (even the larger Marbs WITH the larger o-rings installed ; it comes with 2 sizes) since the bolt pushes the first o-ring and just basically pops the ball right over them.

AHHHHH.....are Phantoms like this? Is it cuz I am running HPA? Are my internals messed up? I'd hate to have to sell this thing but after bringing my Superbolt out afterwards out of frustration, I was able to shoot darts with the Superbolt AND I was chronoing +/- 2 fps!!!! With both tanks too so seems that my tanks are not the problem.

Help lol

My Feedback Thread
PolePosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Just falconing' around.

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Well, Phantom's like CO2... but thats pretty odd. I'm new to phantoms aswell, but I thought I'd leave what I know.
"Hey, you know how people drive cross-country in their Corollas? And then need to get their oil changed, after a straight 1200 mile drive? Yes? Now take a good look at your blueprints. See that 'cage' in front of the oil filter?
Yeah, that's the exhaust manifold.
Go die. " - Deus Machina
My Spec-ops Feedback. http://forum.specialopspaintball.com...27&hl=Gas+mask
MCB feedback (Thanks Longbeard)
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Wants thread. http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/w...ted-often.html
DO NOT SHIP A PACKAGE TO ME VIA UPS.
Gas mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cloud Cuckoolander

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
get a new stiffer spring for hpa
Timmycuddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmycuddler View Post
get a new stiffer spring for hpa
I have one and even with the TPC at the lowest setting it shoots at like 330 fps, so I don't think I need to use it lol. The stiffer spring works when the HPA tank is lower in output than co2, but I'm guessing that my HPA tank is around the same output so that I can use the stock spring.

My Feedback Thread
Old 07-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

RTP Fan
Hm, check your valve...it's possible the powertube has become unseated from the cupseal, the powertube threads have stripped, or the cupseal is worn out, all 3 of which can result in inconsistent velocities like you're seeing here.
ironchef97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef97 View Post
Hm, check your valve...it's possible the powertube has become unseated from the cupseal, the powertube threads have stripped, or the cupseal is worn out, all 3 of which can result in inconsistent velocities like you're seeing here.
Checked the tube. Threads are perfect, washed out the tube itself (free of debris as far as I can see). I believe the cupseal is OK, I even tried flipping it upside down so that it can seat on a fresh surface, but that didn't change anything.

What about the spring? The valve spring is clean and looks good but how do I tell if its bad?... seems to me it is "possible" that the spring is too soft because even with the stock main spring, the TPC is turned all the way counter clockwise and I'm still chronoing over the field limit during its fluctuations.

My Feedback Thread
Old 07-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Put the stiffest valve spring you can find in there... THe heavy main spring is leaving the valve spring open for too long allowing too much gas out.

Long valve pulse with high pressure = High velocity.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I'd suggest clipping off a ring or two from your mainspring. It'll loosen up the pump stroke a bit. You can also try replacing it with the spring from your superbolt lower tube.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
PLR

Is the valve spring silver (stock)?

Try running a softer main spring (not stiffer). I run a blue CCI main spring with HPA and the stock valve spring.

Also you might want to replace your cup seal. You need to keep it clean and free of oil. As oil may make it soft and sticky, which will play hell with your velocity.

Exiles Web Comic
www.exiles.ca

Paul's For Sale Page
PLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Too many mods! Stock Phantoms work fine....

Sounds like a spring issue, but that "slightly mis-milled" ASP detent mod is a little fishy sound as well. You might want to go back to a stock config with your valve/bolt/hammer set up as is and see if it works fine without any frills.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI