mcarterbrown.com  

CCM Chipley Machine

Old 11-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbalien73 View Post
They also restrict your air flow.

That's aggressive advertising with little relevance.

The biggest restriction in most cockers/ paintball guns is the valve. If your bolt has a higher flow than your valve, you're good to go. If it's too much higher flow, then you're losing energy by allowing the air to expand in the extra bolt area.

Venturi bolts are tough because there are so many different designs. Some are more efficient, others are about equal to open faced, in my experience. There are a couple poorly designed venturi bolts out there, but they're exceptional to my comments.

In short...

Best is close to matched flow rates. A venturi will be a closer match than a super-high-flowin bolt-a-ma-bob.

I've been working on a flowbench to this end, but I've been sidetracked. If anyone wants to collaborate on that project, feel free to pm me.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Basically, if you are about to try to refit your gun with super low pressure internal all in the name of getting a quieter sound signature, you'd probably be better served by throwing a venturi bolt in there. Obviously that's not going to happen on a T2 without custom work.

Yes, they restrict air flow. That's the point. You slow the gas burst down, lowering the pressure that the ball is hit with, which also reduces the sound of firing the gun. There's a reason Phantoms are quieter than other Nelsons, and it's the TPC - aka a Venturi bolt.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #23 (permalink)

CCM Fan
This thread makes me want to try a venturi bolt in my mq t2. Operating presure is already around 200psi. With the possiblity of It being quieter is interesting. May have to try one.

SPBTV

Feedback

Other Feedback

"It's the Ones Who've Cracked That the Light Shines Through"
Silent Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Closed bolt FTW

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Basically, if you are about to try to refit your gun with super low pressure internal all in the name of getting a quieter sound signature, you'd probably be better served by throwing a venturi bolt in there. Obviously that's not going to happen on a T2 without custom work.
if the T2 has the same bolt dimensions as a s6.5 then an impulse bolt will work. I put a shocktech impy bolt in my gun just to try and aside from needing slots for the detents it fit just fine
Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

For what it's worth, I sweet-spotted my T2 when I first got it, and found it to have a long bell curve, maxing at about 310 fps at 310 psi with the IVG backed all the way out. I ran it on the front end of the bell curve - 205 psi shooting 275 fps - for my first couple cases, and it loved shooting at that pressure... right up until the valve spring started to break in and it had trouble keeping the valve closed. It was plenty efficient at that setting, but not noticeably quieter. I'm now running at 330 psi to shoot 275 fps (on the back end of the bell curve) and having no issues.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #26 (permalink)

I changed the main spring in my T2 to one from an s6 and and have the CP v2 set from 200-220 psi with no venting or farting. I havent noticed any efficency issues but then again I use a 50/45 tank so I don't fill that often. I usually get +/- 2 fps on the chrono using ultra evil and a .682 insert on a 16" dw.
Omero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
if the T2 has the same bolt dimensions as a s6.5 then an impulse bolt will work. I put a shocktech impy bolt in my gun just to try and aside from needing slots for the detents it fit just fine
Nice. Is that the Shocktech Supafly with the 3-port venturi? Did you actually notice any noise reduction? There are usually diminishing returns when dealing with LP guns, case in point raincovers work best on HP guns and do almost nothing on LP guns.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
Closed bolt FTW

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Nice. Is that the Shocktech Supafly with the 3-port venturi? Did you actually notice any noise reduction? There are usually diminishing returns when dealing with LP guns, case in point raincovers work best on HP guns and do almost nothing on LP guns.
never actually shot it...may give that a try on my day off this week and see what happens
Old 12-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Closed bolt FTW

CCM Fan
Tested a Impulse Evil venturi bolt on my current setup, it was just a tad quieter than it already is but then again i am running the pressure way low so i dont think its going to get too much quieter

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCM