mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 12-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
\m/Ruler_of_Asgaard\m/

My Montneel Z1 Experience

Backstory: For about the past year or so, I have been trying to learn more/do more with a Montneel Z1 that was handed down to me from my brother. As most of you know, Z1's run on liquid and trying to find a place that knew anything about how to get this gun working properly up in Toronto (Canada) has proven to be a right bitch.

Grumbles aside, I DID get this gun working... for the most part. Part of the outfitting I was handed down was a remote line. Now, I don't know how my brother used to play with this equipment back in the mid 90's, but I'm surprised he could at all with that remote. At the advice of Nick (HP_Lovecraft; nice nickname and avatar btw) I ditched the remote line every chance I could and just went with the bottle directly on the gun.

Over the summer I decided I wanted to make a custom stock for the gun. The problem with this was that I needed to start using the remote line as their wasn't enough clearance to put the tank in the back of the gun. Again, I faced the problem of the gun not cycling.

Skip to a few weeks ago; I got my hands on some simple equipment: a length of macroline and some fittings that would work with the existing remote line I had.

This is the result: [IMG][/IMG]
The gun originally came with the dot sight, barrel and the remote adapter for the back receiver of the gun. I have added a laser sight on the trigger cover, the stock and the new rear tank system.

I'm pretty pleased with the end result. The only bad thing that came of it is the blotches in the stock. I had originally coated it in varnish over the summer while I was using it with the remote line and I guess I wasn't able to remove all of it before I applied the stain.

More pics:
[IMG][/IMG]

These are just shots before I put the hose clamps on the stock for the tank.

I guess in closing, I would recommend this gun but only to those who aren't going to be deterred by it not working right away for them. It did take some getting used to, special treatment and digging up a lot of buried knowledge. Now that the gun works, its deadly accurate, consistent, very easy to maintain and it doesn't look half bad either. Plus I get a lot of compliments from people who've never seen it before or remember using a gun like it.

Merry Christmas all, heres my present for the holidays to you all. Thanks again for the help and see you out there.

- Gabe
Oden666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
THE NEW PA

nice work man, it looks really comfy.
i wonder if anyone has rings for the 20 size tanks i have them for 9 and 12s.
its nice to have access to people on here that know about the montneels !
Old 12-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Zs are great guns, and are very fun to use. You need to be aware of replacement parts though; my Z was a tired old gal when I got her and had a bunch of issues that took 2 years to finally fix (right before selling it). If you can find a cheap Rental-Z for parts, get it.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Nice. Can't get a better barrel for 'em than that snakebit, either, very nice. Love my Z's, I shoot them often. They are pretty stupidly simple, just gotta know how to run liquid, and where to find parts.

If I were you I'd ditch that macro for some stailess steel braided first chance you get.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
\m/Ruler_of_Asgaard\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R. View Post
nice work man, it looks really comfy.
i wonder if anyone has rings for the 20 size tanks i have them for 9 and 12s.
its nice to have access to people on here that know about the montneels !
The tanks in there are 16oz and 20oz tanks. Just get larger hose clamps. I could've fit a 12oz or another slimmer sized tank with the old stock setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Nice. Can't get a better barrel for 'em than that snakebit, either, very nice. Love my Z's, I shoot them often. They are pretty stupidly simple, just gotta know how to run liquid, and where to find parts.

If I were you I'd ditch that macro for some stailess steel braided first chance you get.
THATS what the barrels called... great! I didn't know that (read: too lazy to read the invoice from the original purchase order) and in terms of the macroline, I can't find any steel hosing just now but I was recommended to use that because of the pressure in the macroline. I gave it a test run today, its about -1C (so 27F) and it worked perfectly. Only took one shot to chroni it.

As far as replacement parts go I can always order them from the Montneel website but I actually just found out through trial and error that Angle O rings will fit some of the internal parts. Normal tank O rings tend to be too big.

idkfa: When I say that I would recommend this gun but only for a certain few (in other words that I don't think they're a great gun) I'm coming from never having fired anything aside from this, a few tippmans that were all rentals and a Mokal Focus. Compared to those guns, its much better. BUT I know there are much better guns out there. Still, after building this, I can rip on my friend who keeps raving that his Focus is better than mine.

- Gabe
Old 12-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

That is a really nice stock.
I really, really wanted a wood stock on mine, but simply lacked any sort of woodworking skill. I didn't want to adapt a generic rifle stock you see on other conversions, but instead wanted a battle-rifle style.

I ended up buying one of those $5 Tommy-gun stocks online:

It actually sits about an inch further in. It was not bolted in for the picture.

I actually ran with a remote for most of 94-95. I mostly played tournaments then, which meant I was CONSTANTLY shooting. Thats pretty much the only way you can make it work, otherwise you are constantly fighting with dropping FPS.

But, like everyone, I finally go irritated with every damn branch catching on the remote... and well... we all know what happens when you sit the gun on a table and FORGET to disconnect the remote..... ka-blam!

I love all my Zs, naturally. Great guns, but for me, they also bring back all the memories I had of the early 90s. My teammates mostly used mags, and I loathed them. They constantly broke down, chopped paint, always needed parts (orings, foamies, whatever), and lost tournaments due to the dreaded "automag penalty".

There was something I really appreciated about never having to do... well.. anything. At the time, it was the only tournament-gun "out of the box". It never needed adjustment. Not even FPS. I've never changed the FPS actually, and some of my montneels are close to 20 years old! Thats pretty friggen amazing! Nothing really to break down. I've never had to change a seal, or oring, or valve parts.

It was a different era though. and it did have its faults. The square body meant the metal was too thin, especially on the MegaZ, which only used 1 screw to hold the entire gun together. It was prone to strip. (which to avoid... well.. never take it apart )

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

I see a PPP sticker on one of the tanks and you mention you're from Toronto. Did you happen to swing by PPP and talk to Jeff? I know he's been around a long long time but just because he played back in the day doesn't mean he still has the means (parts ,remebering everything about every marker ever made etc) to fix it up. but it couldn't hurt to ask him, he's a stand up guy in my books.

Either way, I say you should give that stock a coat of dust black. Possibly even rhino line type stuff and it would be amazing.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
\m/Ruler_of_Asgaard\m/

Quote:
I see a PPP sticker on one of the tanks and you mention you're from Toronto. Did you happen to swing by PPP and talk to Jeff? I know he's been around a long long time but just because he played back in the day doesn't mean he still has the means (parts ,remebering everything about every marker ever made etc) to fix it up. but it couldn't hurt to ask him, he's a stand up guy in my books.
Is PPP up in Pickering? part of the Next Paintball field? If so, I've definitely talked to Jeff before and if he's who I'm thinking of (one of the brothers who runs the field) then he basically walked me through some of the installation for the new air system as I've never done it before. Infact, he's waiting to see the result.

Quote:
...and well... we all know what happens when you sit the gun on a table and FORGET to disconnect the remote..... ka-blam!
I don't.
I mean, I can imagine what MIGHT happen, but I've been pretty good at disconnecting it(cutting it off, it has a quick release). Would the line eventually just rupture? or the CO2 just find its way out someplace not so pleasant?

And as for your (HP_Lovecraft) stock, does it just attach to the back receiver using the rear threading?
Old 12-25-2010, 01:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yes PPP is inside of NEXT paintball. Jeff is the owner/ one of the brother. The one with curly blonde hair. Though I havn't seen him in almost a year so who knows. He's the one whos always smiling though. I knew he could help you out haha.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
\m/Ruler_of_Asgaard\m/

Quote:
Yes PPP is inside of NEXT paintball. Jeff is the owner/ one of the brother. The one with curly blonde hair. Though I havn't seen him in almost a year so who knows. He's the one whos always smiling though. I knew he could help you out haha.
He's still there and he was the one who helped me out with all this. I guess he comes in on off days cause I've only seen him there twice or so. Really helpful guy and I'm sure he'd love to see this

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions