mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #1841 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
If all goes according to plans I will have pics and numbers for you by the end of the day Monday.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #1842 (permalink)

Glad to hear it!
Old 06-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #1843 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
yay
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #1844 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
TubeChop - And There Was Much Rejoicing (00:03)

Feedback
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #1845 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Hey SURPRISE it's Tuesday and I forgot to post yesterday.

So all things did not go as planned. I did start testing and had some numbers (which I left home) but then before I could do a full 12ie at the starting FPS I wanted I developed a cupseal leak and found out that I had no more of them in my parts box so I'm calling Mike today.

Observations

The brass prototype (3 holes in the re-stricter plate)

Loud at air up without a valve spring, loosing an amount of air that I think is substantial. I think best results will be found with a very light spring to prevent blow by when airing up.

Much less air is escaping the valve on each shot. I established my baseline in the Gargoyle with a Silver CCI main Spring, Yellow Nelson Valve Spring CCI, RTR winter valve insert (Hollow), Lightened ASP hammer, Standard CCI TPC about 1/2-2/3 of the way up.

In order to get back to the high 270's mark that I was looking to start in I needed to change to an ASP open face TPC, Red CCI Main spring, standard CCI hammer, Yellow Nelson Valve Spring, RTR Autococker Valve Insert (Shorter than the CCI one but about the right length to avoid preload with Nelson length springs.

When using a 12ie to change out parts and get the velocity I wanted I got FPS readings for as many of the shots as I could. By the time it dipped under 250 there were only about 3 shots before the telltail pop where you know you are completely out. This leads me to think we are on the right track.

Aluminum Version (3 holes in the stem).

The re-stricter plate was only going into my Gargoyle valve part way, about to the end of the threaded section of the valve body. I'll try it in some other nelsons when I get a second and will contact RNS about what he'd like me to do.

I can provide the numbers if you want them, when I get home tonight but unless someone wants them I am going to wait till I get do a full 12ie through it.

Last edited by Greenmtnphantom; 06-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #1846 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
eww, are they really? UHMW is cheap ****... used lots for wear strips and such in heavy machinery, but less commonly in machined parts. delrin (POM) on the other hand, extremely common for machined parts. delrins hardness is in between UHMW and 6/6 nylon. not technically self lubricating though... delrin can easily wear heavily from friction in the wrong application or by incorrect design.

UHMW also seems to me like it would be "bouncy" for a cupseal. HDPE would be a bit less so (same material lower density, bit softer)
We were working in a mill for a while and they had graphite impregnated UHMWPE. It was pretty good stuff. Just food for thought. It was dark grey. I would imagine it could be had from mill supply stores
Coggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #1847 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Fan of EMR
Sorry for the delay in information guys, last week hit me like a ton of poop.

I'll have numbers for you shortly.

The aluminum cup that didn't quite fit in the Gargoyle valve, fits perfect in the dropout valve for my wife's Duckslide so I will be testing that one in the Duck first.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #1848 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coggles View Post
We were working in a mill for a while and they had graphite impregnated UHMWPE. It was pretty good stuff. Just food for thought. It was dark grey. I would imagine it could be had from mill supply stores
Yea, that stuff is used for self (dry) lubricated wear strips and such. Not much practical use in pneumatic valve parts compared to the material choices we already employ.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #1849 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Fan of EMR
The bad - Really only what I would call about 31 usable shots so far.

The good - You know that tell tale his when you start unscrewing your 12ie... If you shoot til it "pop's" when you pump... That his doesn't exist. Granted there are about 4 unusable shots before that "pop" but it tells me that we are reaching deeper into the 12ie.

Here are the numbers, Everything the same as the pervious test, only it was about 80* Sorry a Thunder storm hit before I could get the "controll numbers":

282, 289, 286, 291, 283, 289, 279, 266, 277, 256, 261, 270, 275, 265, 263, 284, 271, 259, 267, 262, 266, 255, 258, 259, 283, 250, 251, 239, 239, 248, 246, 235, 218, 203, 00, 00, Pop

Things I still want to try with it _Cut down a Lapco #6 and see what that will do with it, some other spring combinations, maybe now that it's up to field speeds again try the lightened hammer again.

Other notes - This is a hammer thats barely been used and I wouldn't consider broken in. As you can guess from the variation in FPS ball to ball, the paint is old an dnot matched to the barrel.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #1850 (permalink)
Sector 2814

CCM Fan
Are those numbers from the duckslide? Which barrel are you using?
eddielives75 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions