mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 07-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #91 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretG View Post
The last SMG video-
The 68 Special SMG conversion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_c9ISwkglo
Very cool BretG.

What is the difference between a full auto trigger assy and a semi auto trigger assy of a 68 special/smg? Pics?

Smiley
infamoussmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 AM   #92 (permalink)
12 Gram Miser

Brass and Wood Fan
Basically, there is a short block on the back (compared to the semi trigger), that disables the sear disconnect when pulled all the way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretG
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretG
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly
Hey there. I don't suppose you could someday take a photo of the progressive trigger mechanism (semi on short pull, auto on long) on your 68 special/SMG 68 modification? It would absolutely make my day
The 68 Special and the SMG 68 were semi auto only. All the original SMG 60s were semi/full auto. You just pull back the trigger a little and release. The full range movement to the stop screw gives full auto. Running the stop screw out limits the shot to one or two by preventing full trigger travel and the sear trips off the small edge of the trigger. What is different between the semi and full auto versions is the trigger sear.
The trigger lifts the sear and it pivots and releases the hammer. The hammer hits the valve poppet and a blast of co2 pushes the hammer back against spring pressure. With a full auto sear, the trigger can continue to hold the sear up, allowing the hammer to move back and forth. The semi trigger sear cannot be held up because the pivot hole is elongated and a spring pulls the sear back away from the trigger, resetting it and capturing the hammer. The pivot hole in the full auto sear is not elongated and will not move away from the trigger. A modification for making a full auto is to simply place a small piece of rod in the sear hole that prevents the sear from rearward movement.
Does this help?
Thanks for your response. I am well aware of the theory of operation/sear disconnector arrangement on semis, but was more interested in the shape of the progressive trigger on the SMG60 specifically for the purposes of machining an exact copy. I did a little more digging and found another of the differences, so I should be OK. Thanks!

Yeah well... I was giving this some more thought and decided to tear one apart and I was wrong about the trigger. There is a small step block on the rear of the trigger piece. The semi versions don't have the step block, they're just squared off. The step is the progressive part. The first edge is the short travel and single shot. Pulling the trigger all the way catches the sear on the second step and lifts it so that the other stays down and won't catch the hammer, producing full auto operation. The set screw in the trigger frame can stop the full travel to the second step. Dennis Tippmann is a genius.
And I replied something like, "Awesome, just like on the F88 Austeyr/Steyr AUG" or something (I think D.T. based his off something like that).
neftaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #93 (permalink)
HUG?!

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_target View Post
Sorry. but not the first stripper clip first strikes.

When they first came out RussC posted a video of a F/A smg 68 shooting FS rounds. idk where the video is or I'd share.

Still wicked cool though
To help inflate russc' s head more.. http://youtu.be/IIyRslxUgwY

Last edited by Acidpaintball; 07-10-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Acidpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #94 (permalink)

Where would I find a spare trigger?

smiley
Old 07-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #95 (permalink)
12 Gram Miser

Brass and Wood Fan
Make one :P I did one for my old splatty by tracing the original trigger on to a bit of steel, cutting it on a bench grinder then sanding & polishing the exposed part - it looked great. You could do a test in plastic to get the sear disconnect disconnector geometry correct.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #96 (permalink)

I can do that. What do I do about hardening the steel? Suggestions?

Smiley
Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #97 (permalink)
12 Gram Miser

Brass and Wood Fan
Not really necessary, unlike the sear it takes very little abuse.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #98 (permalink)

very true. I just need to locate a 68 special trigger then.

Smiley
Old 07-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #99 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

To harden the metal heat it up to glowing red hot then drop it in a can of old motor oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:13 AM   #100 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

That will only work if it is made out of something with a high enough carbon content. It won't work with mild steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions