mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
"Crow"

Paintball crossbow- The true silent sniper!

New project time! I need a secondary weapon to compliment the gauntlet. My arm mounted ion provides heavy fire, and still makes me hands free (when I let go of the joystick), so I'm looking to make a first strike shooting gun that is as silent as possible. I've decided to use an airowgun as a base, but I don't like shooting a regular bow, so I'm looking for ideas on mounting the airowgun to a crossbow! Before I start this project, I need some help.

-What should the draw weight of the crossbow be?

-How could I make a way of feeding first strike rounds and still be able to convert back to high capacity, regular paintballs?

-What pattern should I do for the duracoat? (I want your opinion)

-How would I go about mounting this to a crossbow as opposed to a regular bow?

-Could this even work?!?!?

Any creative ideas would be helpful. I plan on using a scope on this as well.

Edit: NOT using the airowgun!

Last edited by THE PAINTBALL NINJA; 02-09-2012 at 05:43 PM.
THE PAINTBALL NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Well, the average crossbow can propel a 420 grain (27.21 g) bolt at 305 FPS. The average paintball is something like 3 grams. You're going to need a really low draw weight crossbow.

I don't know much about First Strike rounds

I find black and tan to be a nice color combo along with a darker green with dark grey. Nothing too fancy with the pattern, just have accents.

I'm not sure how Airow guns attach to regular bows.

It could work, it'll just require some time and commitment.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

The problem with the Airow gun in this idea is you need a full length draw to get any air pressure. Adam45 did a bunch of research on it after buying mine. He needed to change the bow to a 60 lbs bow to get it shooting at any playable velocity. Keep in mind that's like a 45+ inch draw.

I'd think with this setup, you'd need to change the firing system completely. Maybe have the 'arrow' strike a poppet at the end of the stroke...

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxkid2005 View Post
The problem with the Airow gun in this idea is you need a full length draw to get any air pressure. Adam45 did a bunch of research on it after buying mine. He needed to change the bow to a 60 lbs bow to get it shooting at any playable velocity. Keep in mind that's like a 45+ inch draw.

I'd think with this setup, you'd need to change the firing system completely. Maybe have the 'arrow' strike a poppet at the end of the stroke...
But if you're using a string to carry a hammer to strike a poppit, how is that different from using a spring to carry a hammer to strike a poppit?

I think the aarow gun is needlessly complex, and bugs just haven't been worked out.

I would be more interested to see a launcher built just to use the string to launch the round, with no compressor in between.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
But if you're using a string to carry a hammer to strike a poppit, how is that different from using a spring to carry a hammer to strike a poppit?

I think the aarow gun is needlessly complex, and bugs just haven't been worked out.

I would be more interested to see a launcher built just to use the string to launch the round, with no compressor in between.
That's my point. For what the OP is suggesting, the Airow gun system isn't ideal. The whole system was designed to be 'airless' but you need ALOT of weight behind the arrow for it to work properly.

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
Old 02-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxkid2005 View Post
That's my point. For what the OP is suggesting, the Airow gun system isn't ideal. The whole system was designed to be 'airless' but you need ALOT of weight behind the arrow for it to work properly.
I was definitely agreeing with you on that point. I only quoted you to comment on the stacked-tube air powered crossbow that you suggested.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
I was definitely agreeing with you on that point. I only quoted you to comment on the stacked-tube air powered crossbow that you suggested.
Ah. Well then. OP, do that^^^

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
I would be really interested to collaborate on an airless design using those cheap mini-crossbows.

If the design looks really feasible, I would be happy to contribute manufacturing assistance, if my plate is clear at that time.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

The main design flaw with the Airow gun, at least in my opinion, is that they have a transfer tube going from the front of the gun all the way to the rear. It's stupid, silly, wasteful, ill concieved, and dumb.

Reduce that transfer tube to a couple inches and I bet you'll drop 20 pounds of draw weight.

All that said, the quietest and most efficient crossbow would be one built around a traditional design. No air, just elastic, spring steel, whatever.

Last edited by russc; 02-09-2012 at 02:50 AM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

The problem I can see with a traditional arrow firing crossbow trying to fire a paintball, is that you are essentially going to be dry firing the crossbow. When you dry fire a bow/crossbow the energy stored in the limbs has nowhere to transfer to so it ends up back in the limbs instead of the projectile. Which is bad for the limbs, usually ruining them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions