mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

TM7 Ambidextrous Qloader mount

So I have wanted to build a tactical marker for quite some time. My goals for the project are;

Light weight (high speed, low drag)
able to accept a stock for use with a remote
electronic (I like to use 3 round burst when I can)
Single trigger (so it could be more easily fired with one hand)
Capable or both long range and close quarter combat
Efficient so I could carry a lighter tank
As Ambidextrous as possible
Aesthetics (might as well look B.A.)
Keep costs low

For base markers i found myself torn between using a TM7 or an SP1. I ended up settling with the TM7 and picked up one cheap off of eBay. The TM7 meets most of my needs in its bone stock state. All I have done is remove the accessories and slapped on some rail covers to keep it clean and more comfortable to hold. I also added an Apex2 for some more distance. The biggest obstacle I have to overcome in my opinion is the right feed. I like my markers to be well balanced so I can switch hands easily. I decided that a Qloader would work best for what I was hoping to accomplish and further decrease my profile. After some research I found most people have just bolted the qloader on to the side rails. This is fine if you only shoot with your dominant hand but I wanted more My plan is to mount the Qsocket on the stock of the marker at about a 15* angle. The pod will remain out of the way but just as easy to access with either hand. Today I made a proof of concept that came out better than I hoped. There is plenty of room for improvement. Currently I feel there is too much torque being applied to the stock when inserting or removing a pod. I am concerned the over time it may weaken or break. I also intend to ditch the elbow and mount a 90* elbow directly out of the body so the tube can run closer to the body of the marker.

tl;dr I am making a low profile ambidextrous mount for a Qloader on a TM7. Just look at the picture...

This is just meant to be a rough mock up to try it out and demonstrate my goal so be nice. lol

Any suggestions or ideas would be great! I am still trying to figure out the best way mount a 90* elbow to the body and how to reinforce the stock so twisting the pods in/out doesn't cause it to break.
ShaftyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
That's ugly imo. Vertically mounted pods never looked good to me.

I think I would modify the standard socket so it clamps directly to the stock at a 15 angle. You would probably have to make a new clamp band and grind the socket a bit so it seats correctly.

Though the cool way would be to make a new stock that incorporated the qloader socket and instead of a feed tube, have the paintballs feed along the top rail like a stock class pump
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

It certainly isn't pretty but it easy and comfortable to use. Plus when you are actually holding the marker your arm and body block most of the ugly bits from sight any how. If the socket was mounted directly to the stock I would be worried about the pressure from the bracket applied to arms of the stock. There would also be a lot of flex when changing pods.

Your second picture is really more of what I would like to do. I was trying to avoid fabricating a whole new stock but it would probably be the best means of mounting the socket securely.
ShaftyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftyMcGee View Post
It certainly isn't pretty but it easy and comfortable to use. Plus when you are actually holding the marker your arm and body block most of the ugly bits from sight any how. If the socket was mounted directly to the stock I would be worried about the pressure from the bracket applied to arms of the stock. There would also be a lot of flex when changing pods.

Your second picture is really more of what I would like to do. I was trying to avoid fabricating a whole new stock but it would probably be the best means of mounting the socket securely.
you're right. It doesnt look pretty but it does look like it'd be comfortable. I imagine you'd reload it like you would a bullpup
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions