mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 06-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
BOOM headshot!

Another idea for connecting your pieces concerning strength - I know epoxy does work really well with PVC, but so does that plumbing grade pvc cement you get at the hardware store, and Weld-on 2007 (which I got from a specialty shop). Side by side I don't know which is the stronger bond, but you scuff up your mating surfaces and the plumbing adhesive/Weld-on actually melt the PVC together into a single piece (Weld-on is water thin for tight/flat fitting pieces, plumbing stuff is thick for thicker/wider gaps.)

When I was at the specialty shop (Industrial Plastic & Paint) I also picked up some flat sheets of PVC, which you can cut and shape with common woodworking tools, saws, files, sandpaper, etc. It cost a couple bucks, but I've got plastic for years to come and I make EVERYTHING out of it now, lol.

EDIT: Also, I discovered a great way to stain PVC as well. Even Krylon Fusion for plastic eventually chips off, but if you mix some black solvent dye (I had some Smooth-On So-Strong black dye on hand from previous projects, just happens to be solvent dye) in a glass jar with the Weld-on 2007, you can dip smaller parts, brush larger parts, and it's super permanent. Melts the dye right into the surface, passes the white glove test after drying. (Nitrile gloves and organic vapor respirator strongly recommended when working with this much solvent)
My feedback: MCB / a5og / eBay

Last edited by freedummy; 06-17-2014 at 04:41 PM.
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

So my $5 flashlight mounting bracket came in.

Amazon.com : Flashlight and Laser Sight Mount with Barrel Adapter. : Gun Barrels And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

It fits both the DYE barrel (at least at the thick segment) and the springfeed reasonably well, though the two screws on the left side of the top section of the mount must be removed to allow the follower screw to travel past the bracket. That done, it sits a little cockeyed but is still fairly stable. It would probably be much more stable if I had two of them.
The downside is that the bracket obviously mounts the feed considerably higher than my custom brackets do, which would necessitate the use of a small chute from the feed into the feedneck. I was thinking a short segment cut from a 10-round tube would fit the bill nicely.

Also, had my first play-test of the feed today and it performed... ok. I still need to refine the ramp/plug at the back end of the feed to prevent the feed from jamming and stopping the flow. It's really annoying that the plug it came with is insufficiently ramped to make the magazine feed as intended.

The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

The powerfeed plug/rubber stopper at the back of of the feed is giving me fits.
Seems like no matter how I shape a plug, the paintstack is still hitting it and jamming up rather than being directed downward and out of the feed.

Anyone have some experience here?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ok, I think I've fixed it.
Taking a harder look at the lower opening it looks as if the rear edge was milled square instead of round. Paintballs were getting caught on that lip, so I took the dremel grinding wheel to it and removed metal until it was round. Seems to be feeding correctly now.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re9tlWtuUbo
Old 07-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
The powerfeed plug/rubber stopper at the back of of the feed is giving me fits.
Seems like no matter how I shape a plug, the paintstack is still hitting it and jamming up rather than being directed downward and out of the feed.
Anyone have some experience here?
It's a CRAP4 product,of course you have to mod it to get it to work
Could you use a Automag powerfeed plug?
This build is making me miss my Longbow Ion
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by punisher068; 07-09-2014 at 06:51 PM.
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
BOOM headshot!

I like it! Sliding the bracket back and forth to reload is a really elegant solution to keep the spring from escaping. I'm designing a spring feed which won't be able to use such a bracket, so it'll have a trap door which retracts when the follower is pulled back... but simple is better!
My feedback: MCB / a5og / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher068 View Post
It's a CRAP4 product,of course you have to mod it to get it to work
Could you use a Automag powerfeed plug?
This build is making me miss my Longbow Ion
I'm not sure if an Automag plug would have worked, but I did try a Spyder/Piranha powerfeed plug and it wasn't much better.
Eventually I evolved a shape that could be properly cut into a 13/16" plug that seems to be jam-free.

As you can see, the "correct" shape is nothing like the RAP4 factory part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedummy View Post
I like it! Sliding the bracket back and forth to reload is a really elegant solution to keep the spring from escaping. I'm designing a spring feed which won't be able to use such a bracket, so it'll have a trap door which retracts when the follower is pulled back... but simple is better!

Thanks!

I just have to be careful to make sure to retract the follower before opening the gate, nor release the follower when the gate is open or else, KER-SPROING!

My current bracket/gate design is over 3 times as long as the two original brackets I made and seems much more durable and stable because of it. This one was made with the handle of a disposable plastic fork acting as the frame between the two lengths of pipe. As before, I roughed up the contact surfaces, carved channels into the fork handle to allow epoxy to flow through/around it, and drilled out several small dimples in the pipe to better grip the epoxy. So far it seems to be holding.

I opted not to go with the factory-made metal flashlight brackets because they position the magazine higher off the gun than my custom-made PVC brackets. Also, without direct contact between the bottom of the magazine and the top of the Ion breech it's a lot harder to get proper alignment with the barrel. Finally, I never did find a good solution to channel balls from the raised magazine down into the feedport. Was thinking about cutting up a segment of 10-round tube to do this. I DO like how stable the pair of them are, though, and the way they quickly release without moving around when their center clamp screw is loosened. These might have some real potential for installing a Firestorm magazine on other guns, though, like a Hammer-7 or SP-1 or something else with a picatinny rail along the top of the gun.

One thing I noticed when I was working with the rear feedplug was that the exit hole on the magazine seemed to be sitting a little too far rearward over the feedport on the Ion, especially considering that the balls would be angling slightly forward as they exited. I probably took off too much material out of the back of the feedneck slot in the body. Rather than try and build material back up, I found a solution in using an extra zip tie to create a backstop for the feed; now, if it slides back as far as it goes (and the tension from the other zip-tie makes it not want to slide anyway) it should be positioned right where I want it.

Last edited by The Inflicted; 07-09-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

Borrowed a friend's 16" Smart Parts Tactical barrel. Seems to suit the gun well.

So I got to use the gun quite a bit this past weekend at the local urban/fortress field. It worked well, mostly, though I did run into some problems with the gun not loading consistently when the feedtube slid forward. I only had one zip-tie locking the feed to the gun for a lot of the time, but so it was able to slide a bit. When I added a second one and really tightened it down things got a lot better. When it was feeding correctly I was able to take out quite a few people, mostly at close range.
Couple observations:

1. This thing goes through paint fast. Maybe it's just because I'm used to my Phantom, but it seemed like I spent half of every game reloading the thing. I really need to work on better trigger discipline.

2. The 13ci tank is too small. Even with a QEV and an L7 bolt in there, the Ion is really too thirsty a gun to be fed with a mini-tank like this, at least with the wide paint/barrel match I was using. I never got an accurate shot count for it but it seemed well under 100 shots per fill.

3. I'm not used to something this long. Usually on this field I use a stock eNVy barrel on this gun, so to have it suddenly be 6" longer was hard to adjust to.

4. Leaving paint in the magazine with the spring/follower engaged for 2 hours in fairly hot weather resulted in some pretty squished-down paintballs.
I need to remember to disengage the follower when I won't be shooting for long periods of time so as to relieve pressure on the balls.

5. If you let random players handle the gun, they will screw up the reload/gate procedure and manage to eject the spring out of the feedport.

Also, I was able to borrow my buddy's SP-1 for a bit to check fitment possibilities.
It seems like those flashlight mounts I bought from Amazon would make the magazine hover just above the rail on the front of the gun.
Of course, on an SP-1 the feedneck can't be easily completely removed without doing so permanently. A GoG G-1 would be a different story, though...

Old 07-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Looks really good on the SP1.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions