mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Custom Projects / Custom Questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/)
-   -   Dangerous development while anodizing. (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/4130-dangerous-development-while-anodizing.html)

knightmare96 09-23-2006 01:07 AM

Dangerous development while anodizing.

Tonight I was working on some pieces that I needed to get done, and as I was reaching to pull a piece out of the stripper, I noticed a pitch change in the way the heater sounded, and then there was a power surge that kicked the power supply off. Instead of grabbing the metal wire to pull my piece out, I grabbed the electrical cord to the submersible heater, and found that the ceramic heating unit was gone. I held in my hand a sparking flaming wire. Very glad that I hadn't touched the metal wire, I quickly Unpluged the cable, and put on some rubber chemical gloves to pull the rest of the heater out of the solution.

The surge took out my submsersible pump in the acid solution, and another heater on the same circuit stopped working. The Powersupply came back online later, but several of the pieces I was stripping got pitted from the electricity. The heaters are supposed to me submersible for this purpose, anyone have any ideas as to why this could have happened? I plan on contacting caswell as well, to see if they will replace the ruined parts. I am a little more concerned about my saftey at this point than the parts lost. But I have been doing this for about 6 months now, and just now the heater fails.

Chaos 09-23-2006 01:09 AM

Damn,that must have been freaky,glad you're ok though.

Raynman 09-23-2006 10:29 AM

Did the parts come out with an aurora effect? Just kidding.

So the ceramic heating unit was "gone?" Like eaten away? I'm glad everything worked out ok. That stuff is kinda scary.

knightmare96 09-23-2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raynman (Post 34217)
Did the parts come out with an aurora effect? Just kidding.

So the ceramic heating unit was "gone?" Like eaten away? I'm glad everything worked out ok. That stuff is kinda scary.

No the seal at the top of the heater failed, and when the liquid seaped in it burned the heater off, and it just dropped into the liquid.

CrazyDoc 09-23-2006 04:18 PM

holy hell! man i would be pissed! how do you anodiz stuf any how? you got a link on where i could get stuf to start doing it?

JT

doglb 09-23-2006 05:25 PM

I am glad nothing happened to you, hell you could have been rushed to Parkview Hospital last night, I was working so we could have finally met!!

But I'd rather meet you under different circumstances!! Glad your OK!

knightmare96 09-23-2006 05:52 PM

caswell's reply to my complaint:

I'm sorry you have had this problem.

We have a section in the manual where it states quite specifically, that you should plug all these items into a special GFCI receptical. This would have eliminated the problem and kept you safe.

If the heater was humming/making noise, it sounds as if some water had got into the sealed end. This can be caused by excessive handling or pulling on the wires. The change in pitch of the noise sounds as if this were it's final moments. Normally, these should not be making noise, this should have been a warning something was wrong.

No electrical component is completely foolproof, and it it the users ultimate responsibility to check over these things.

I'm not sure if you are saying you lost one heater, and am puzzled as to how the other heater AND the pump could also fail?
Please let me know and we'll look at the problem for you. I can't do anything about the paintball gun, sorry.

Rainman229 09-24-2006 05:42 AM

those ceramic heaters are only good for dye tanks. even then i have shatered a few there too. i have better luck with certin fish tank heaters that can be takken apart easy. this way i can bypass the max temp setting so they will reach higher temps. and what i like the most about them is if you do get a crack or something you will notice the liquid in side. pluss they don't care if there in water or in chemicals.

Stechele 09-24-2006 09:34 AM

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...ceramic+heater

Similar problem, only in a dye tank.
Yes yes I know PBN.....:o

knightmare96 09-24-2006 07:46 PM

thanks for the info claudio, I appreciate it. Better than the responses I have gotten from Caswell. I had the heaters in surge suppressors, and in gfci outlets. and instead of just fessing up to having a product that failed I get this:

Quote:

Bulbs burn out, so do heaters. That is why we tell you to make it safe. If you had done this, the other two items would not have burnt out.

I'm not going to do anything to help you, unless you guarantee to me that you will change all your recepticals to gfci.