mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cheffer

Pump spooler

So, I love my dm6. And I've thought long and hard about how to make a good pump spooler. I couldn't figure out some stuff until I had this epiphany yesterday morning.

So, here is a gif of my thoughts. Imagine, if you will, a pump arm connecting to the thicker part of the bolt. Then imagine the 3-way is a fabco 3-way (normally closed, very light actuation pressure), like the ones used in pneumags.

Okay... who wants to build me one????

p.s. I used the gif of the dm4 that I pulled off of ZDSPB's website... chopped it up real good, but you can see it based off that. Credit is given on his website for the original animation.
jhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Contour

Wow I love that design, don't have the tools or experience to help with your project though.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
wow....

I like....

And your a ram and another three way away from a closed bolt spooler.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

That's actually pretty elegant. Nice job!
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

could you attach the pump arm to the bolt via the hole in the back cap? Possible threading the tail of the fuse bolt?
Tyler_durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cheffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_durden View Post
could you attach the pump arm to the bolt via the hole in the back cap? Possible threading the tail of the fuse bolt?
Thorpydo (sp?) made a pump dm4 by attaching the pump arm to the tail of the fuse bolt and disabling the port on the solenoid that pushed on the front of the sail.

I like my design better, as it is a true closed bolt pump, although his has a slight advantage in that it actually exists *grin*
Old 07-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cheffer

An explanation I posted on PBN......

The bolt is pumped back by the pump arm, pushing the ummm, lets call it the powertube, back, allowing the dump chamber to fill, and pressurizing the lpr, which in turn, pressurizes the 3-way.

Opening the 3-way allows the Low Pressure air into the can, pushing forward on the sail, overcoming the balanced pressure in the dump chamber (I made sure to make the surface areas in the dump chamber even, to have balanced pressure). When the powertube moves forward, air is released around the stem, flowing through the tip and pushing the ball.

Yes, you could pull the trigger before you get the bolt all the way forward, but you can do that on a sniper as well. Although.... in the more advance drawing of my idea, the pump rod rubs along the top of the trigger. Not until the pump arm gets all the way forward does it allow the trigger to be pulled... thus stopping you from firing until the bolt is set, and creating an autotrigger!

This pump spool is similar to a pump mag, because mags are also spools, just with an inverted tail. This idea of mine differs in that it has a pneumatic trigger which is inactivated until the dump chamber fills. Cool huh?

It's also different than a pump mag in that the bolt would be fully connected to the pump arm. In a pump mag, the pump arm just pushes the bolt back and it resets against the sear (my design has no sear!)... meaning the pump mag is an open bolt pump. You cannot have the mag be a closed bolt pump without serious mods, as the bolt being forward means the valve is open. My two part system allows for a closed bolt spool valve.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

i would do this to my PM6... in a heartbeat... this is an AWESOME idea.
noelydeeznutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Paintballer50505

i really like this it solves all dwell issues using a mechanical three way because of the sealed dump chamber and it solves the issue of the gun firing without it being pumped first. its a very doable design.

only thing i can see is its gonna have a very strange pump stroke because it is gonna be really light then its gonna smack into the "valve" (i guess thats what to call it or powertube like you said earlier)

its a great design but i think you can still simplify it a little bit.
Paintballer50505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Very cool concept. I don't see a need for the LPR to be pressurized by the dump chamber, since the spool is neutrally balanced and the rearward forces are provided by the bolt being pumped back. The system should operate as a single shot gun even if the LPR was constantly pressurized.

If you wanted to make a pump DM without modifying the bolt, it could be done much the same way that you make a pump Ion. Have one normally closed 3-way for the pump, another for the trigger. Since the spool is balanced, you should be able to vent the front of the piston (pump stroke) without the gun firing (hence the 3-way).
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions