mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Wow...I love it. Those FBM Fierce frames look great on midget cockers.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
Anonymous

that is a beautiful piece of work you have there!
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zee German, eh?

Send a message via ICQ to Ced23Ric Send a message via MSN to Ced23Ric Send a message via Skype™ to Ced23Ric

Grippin' tight.

Now, as it stand, the Hybrid Snow Camo grips are completley .. wrong. Trying to cut them to size resulted in them looking messy, and the clear rubber used for the underside doesn't help, either, nor does the aluminium body of those grips. So I decided to go "**** that." and fired up Photoshop. Working with filters and brushes, I made grips, which were sent out to Stinger Paintball Designs two minutes ago. Let me know what you think.

click to enlarge

Explanation:

Microherder = the name of the gun
Krischan = my nickname (It's a baltic/Polish version of Christian - and my mother comes from the Baltic Sea)
The heraldics = Berlin, my hometown. Born and raised there, lived there for 25 years - Germanys largest city with 4.000.000 inhabitants.
Ced23Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
Zee German, eh?

Send a message via ICQ to Ced23Ric Send a message via MSN to Ced23Ric Send a message via Skype™ to Ced23Ric

The mill again, yay!

Finally a day in the shop again, finally we are doing the last steps of what has been an awesome project so far. Mill and turning lathe were ours, so we brainstormed about all the things we still had to do and decided to approach them by ease of work to get as much done ASAP within short time so our regular work wouldn't be suffering too much. We took our time, to make it posh - every surface is really smooth and well milled - Jens did an awesome job again, but the pictures speak for themselves.

There you go, puzzle time for the 'cockernatics. What's missing in this picture? (Yes, there is one crucial part missing)

click to enlarge

The first thing we threw o nthe lathe was the frontblock bolt. I bought this one from a German shop, seeing that aluminium is leighter than iron and it's easier to work on, too. After brainstorming around at home, I decided to cut the frontblock up to make it lose weight, and, while I am at it, I would make the frontblock bolt more posh by milling the head flat, adding additional air intakes and move the o-ring stop 1/2 of an inch backwards, so I get more threading into the marker and make it hold up better. And I think it turned out great. The head has not actually a diameter smaller than the frontblock, so it sits flush.

That's how it went down:

click to enlarge

Then, we took the actual frontblock. Afixing it to the turning table wasa bit difficult and Jens milled a centering aid, so the frontblock wouldn't move when we deepened the o-ring slots by 0.6 inches (0.1 in the front, 0.5 in the back). After those slots were deeper, we took the opportunity the centering gave us and got rid of the useless meat on the upper left corner, aswell. You see, many-a-people called me out on using a Mini-Orracle Frontblock on a Karnivor, destroying it completely - here you go, is that "agg" enough? I even added a small wave in the end of the milling path. :P

click to enlarge

The last part we worked on was the MQ Valve spacer, which apparently wouldn't do it's job anymore as the behind of the body was severely shortened. We took our measurements, threw it into the turning lathe and went by the numbers. Reduced the thick part down to a solid amount, took the piece out and in again so we could work on the thin part aswell. We added 0,05 inches to the length, so the screw would actually have a way it could supply with force, making the whole thing hold up and being stable. Measurements are determined by your midgetizing job, so I can't really help here.

Isn't it ironic when a spacer is too large?

click to enlarge

Next steps will be the finework on the On/Off mount, a reworking of the stock to make the whole setup sit even tighter, maybe first works o nthe grip frame - though I see those in the next week, to be honest. I, for example, totally forgot about the groove for the cocking 'noid cable, until we brainstorming it all again - dang. Nothing really stopping us, but another step that needs to be done. I am confident that we will rock, though.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced23Ric View Post
There you go, puzzle time for the 'cockernatics. What's missing in this picture? (Yes, there is one crucial part missing)
http://www.eisenkern.net/stuff/karniprojekt_63_t.png
on a laptop w/ mad glare but couldn't find the solenoid housing or pump arm...

btw i'm pretty jealous of your access to a shop, some very cool ideas and very custom work, i like!
rapinatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Zee German, eh?

pump arm and solenoid housing it is. I have a pump arm around, forgot it in the picture. The housing is bought, paid, probably shipped ... but not here.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Make Me King

dude i wish i had never found this thread...

My feedback

FOR SALE

SELLING OUT MISC 8/2011
arcticmonkey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:47 AM   #28 (permalink)

i forgot to ask, what's up w/ the on/off? I mean a chrome cradle when you have even the macro fittings blacked out?
rapinatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
Zee German, eh?

****ed up!

Today we made our first mistake. But here comes experience into play: every run of the mill we do twice, with a little play, so we can repair or work around damaged areas with more ease - todays, that paid off. We measured that we need to lower the top of the back body by ~0,008 inches so the sledge could run free without getting stuck, so we put it on the mill and when the drill bit was chewing through the aluminium, one clamp got loose and the drilling went south. Thank god we realized it soon enough and stopped. We reattached the clamp, tightened everything again and did a second run, adding width and depth to the groove to make up for our slip - and I think it turned out good. A bit of luck and a whole lot of craftsmanship.

How to **** up in German:

click to enlarge

Then, we put in the bolt and the sled and checked how things were fitting. Result: Sled is running okay, bolt moves with resistence, and the sled loses material where sharp edges meet. So I made it all smooth, filed a bit off the bolt with a micro-fiber filing cloth, and polished the surface with NevrDull. The pin was too long - jcurt455 from MCB offered me a shorter one, which would end flush with the sled, but I wanted something more sophisticated - and lend the bolt more guidance on the back of the marker. The pin was clamped into the turning lathe, by using a drill feed and was milled down so it would ride the groove we just milled so expertly (*coughs*) - normally, it would fit in the hammer through a slot, but with an MQ valve, there is no hammer - or slot. This way, we still had guidance without opening up the inside and let dirt come in.

Bolt goodness:

click to enlarge

While we were at it, we realized that the frontblock is moving when you screw in the frontblock bolt - so we decided to add a stop to this. A small whole, a steel pin and some adjustments - there we go. As he frontblock normally rests on o-rings, it would have turned with an everso slight hit anyway, so this is out of the question now, too. More stability and it actually helps the assembly and disassembly, as the pin helps to guide the frontblock bolt in there for the first turns of threading. It might be a slight improvement, but it adds to the overall quality of this project - so we went for it and it works just great. If you do it, do it right.

Pinned:

click to enlarge

Here is a funny anecdote: While we were at it, fitting the bolt and the pin, we were just talking about the bolt not running smoothly, as a salesman came into the shop. He sells chemicals and liquids, cleaning tissues and whatnot to our camera guys - and he saw the body, and instantly asked wether that was a paintball marker. We were reluctant to admit it, but he just grinned and told me that he got just what I need - went to his car, returned with a spraycan - "PFTE hard glide spray. It's dry and it gives unmatched gliding properties." - I tried it and I **** you not, the bolt went like doulbe as ease as before. He grinned again and said: "Keep it. It's yours, have fun." Woot!

click to enlarge

@Raptinore:
This wouldn't be my project if the current colour would be of importance. The cradle, the whole ASA, the solenoid housing, the frame (which is glossy black. ) and the reworked frontblock, AND the front block bolt will be anodized to fit the rest of the marker - by the same guy who did the first run, so the colours while most likely match.

Oh, and SPD has already shipped the grips - yay!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
Zee German, eh?

Saving the best for last.

Meanwhile, there isn't much more left to do except for putting the board into the frame - which also happens to be the hardest taks at hand. We finished up everything else by now, so we have to face the frame next week - and there will be no way around it. Today's work have been ~two hours, again taking it slow. The first part under the mill was the On/Off cradle - it lost its flanks and we evened the top - before that, there wasn't much flatness to be found. Now this part is done - and can be sent out to anodizing. I hope this answers the question wether it will keep being chrome.

A (double-)ring, to bind them all..!

click to enlarge

Then, the frame it was. Albeit not milling the inside, there were some steps to do on the outside, too. We eliminated the dovetail, produced a flat surface there (for the cradle, for example) and got rid of the front nose. That being done, we measured the body again, shortenend the snatch grip and there we were. By now, the milling of the front seems to be ever so slightly crooked, so we might have to work on that again - will take measurements on monday and remill that section by small slice barely visible - but we are about perfection here.

teh grip R awsom!

click to enlarge

After that being done, we started a new part alltogether. Since the stock adapter puts the stock abit too far back for what I was heading for, I drew a sketch of a new adapter plate and we took our measurements, prepared a block of aluminium to be milled. Time was up then, so we will finish that on monday - the block has the right measurements, now, it just needs the right holes in there, too.

Blocked:

click to enlarge

For a last summing up, I put everything together again. There won't be many changes anymore, just colours might differ on some parts which will be anodized soon. I am still waiting for the SPD grips, but they are already sent - currently, they sit in Murrieta in a mail office. So, tell me, is there anything "fugly" about her?

click to enlarge

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions