mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #1271 (permalink)
Rec Poster

This is a noob question but what is the range of velocity of the SA-8's? What's their max and min? It would be nice to actually have some numbers considering how many threads people are talking about them and freaking out about speed but have no idea what their max potential is.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #1272 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Odin View Post
This is a noob question but what is the range of velocity of the SA-8's? What's their max and min? It would be nice to actually have some numbers considering how many threads people are talking about them and freaking out about speed but have no idea what their max potential is.
Over 9000...er...450fps...if you read the entire thread, apparently they will max out most chronos.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #1273 (permalink)
Lostboys

Ok guys, I took the T8 Refurb and the SA-8 to the field today. Guess what...I had a hard time setting the velocity, just like the SA-8. Before I rip it apart again to take some measurements, I'm going to talk to tib. Talk, no email. I do better that way.

Someone asked if I had shaken it up and turned it upside down and such things...I did, and the relief valve never went off.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #1274 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Ok guys, I took the T8 Refurb and the SA-8 to the field today. Guess what...I had a hard time setting the velocity, just like the SA-8. Before I rip it apart again to take some measurements, I'm going to talk to tib. Talk, no email. I do better that way.

Someone asked if I had shaken it up and turned it upside down and such things...I did, and the relief valve never went off.
I did , where you able to chrono it after shaking it? I'm curious to see how badly it would spike. If it spikes well over 300 FPS you got yourself a SA-8 with a new paint job...
Old 03-08-2010, 02:31 AM   #1275 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertRssian View Post
I did , where you able to chrono it after shaking it? I'm curious to see how badly it would spike. If it spikes well over 300 FPS you got yourself a SA-8 with a new paint job...
Now I'm dying to know
Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #1276 (permalink)
Rec Poster

As I discussed with Python this morning via phone, there are several differences between the Tiberius-R markers that were sold for paintball and the SA-8. Are some of the parts common between the two, yes, but a Tiberius-R is not a black SA-8. The relief valve system on the Tiberius-R is not the same as the SA-8. The bodies are anodized and have the correct warnings for their application. Several other internal parts are different as well.

No matter what we do some are going to think we have some cynical motives. No matter what differences we highlight some will say they don't matter. The same people may feel a 1940's car seat is safe for kids. I don't have the time or energy to respond to all of the various conspiracy theories or part by part how-to's and what-if's. We are trying to do a service for those who want a solution, for those who don't fall into that category I have reached a point where I just have to let it go as I am fighting a losing battle.

Last edited by TiberiusArms; 03-08-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #1277 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusArms View Post
We are trying to do a service for those who want a solution, for those who don't fall into that category I have reached a point where I just have to let it go as I am fighting a losing battle.
I do not think we deserve this attitude.

There has been universal praise for how you handled this situation with the trade-in/trade-up deals. You led us all to believe that the fixed safety vent is extremely dangerous, and not for paintball.

We are not idiots. Nobody sees a conspiracy, but it does need explanation why the TAC-8Rs are being shipped with the same fixed safety vent that cause all the trouble in the first place.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
Old 03-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #1278 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Sorry if it came off as a bad attitude. I actually laugh when I read all of the various conspiracies tossed out there. As you noted we have received praise and appreciation from the vast majority of those we have talked to. We appreciate that and in no way did I mean to take away from that.

My point was only that we could drag this on and on. When I see people reverting back to the thought that we are out to somehow lie or screw people over I can't help but feel that things are heading down the wrong road.

I understand the issue of the Tiberius-R. Many thought that it was the "magic bullet" of this whole situation. I did my best to address those concerns. I have never said that fixed pressure relief valves were dangerous, just that the relief valve in the SA-8 (especially when paired with the other differences) posed a potential danger in the sport of paintball.

As noted, the relief valve system in the Tiberius-R is not the same as the SA-8.

Last edited by TiberiusArms; 03-08-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #1279 (permalink)
la la la la revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Odin View Post
This is a noob question but what is the range of velocity of the SA-8's? What's their max and min?
My SA-8 went from not shooting (on the low side) to over 450fps on the high side.

I was trying to see the velocity at which the SA-8 relief valve would open. The velocity adjuster was about 2 turns past 450fps. My yellow handheld chronograph didn't register the speeds. I got spooked and gave up.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #1280 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusArms View Post
I have never said that fixed pressure relief valves were dangerous, just that the relief valve in the SA-8 (especially when paired with the other differences) posed a potential danger in the sport of paintball.

As noted, the relief valve system in the Tiberius-R is not the same as the SA-8.
I think your company did the right thing by addressing the majority of the paintball SA-8 owners. At first, when you simply offered a $50 gift certificate most balked. They wanted something different and your company realized this and came up with a more universally acceptable solution.

However...people are asking simple questions, and all we get are vague answers. "There's a bunch of crap inside that makes it safe...oh, and it says so too on the side!" isn't a good answer, especially in the situation concerning the T8-R. Owners have a RIGHT to know what the difference is exactly. It looks to owners who have bought the T8-R that the relief valve is the same as the SA-8. You still have NOT explained the difference. Is the spring weaker, did you mod the reg etc?

Also, I don't own a T8-R. But, you keep saying that the SA-8 is dangerous to play at on a field. If people are going to be shooting the T8-R at me on a field I have a right to know these answers, as much as T8-R owners do.

Just spell it out, clearly. No marketing talk. The actual mechanical differences. Simple.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone