mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   I found my old flex hone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/121839-i-found-my-old-flex-hone.html)

Bored383 05-29-2010 08:22 PM

I found my old flex hone
 
lol, old school stuff right there

so anyway I was working on organizing more of my stuff in the garage and I found my old flex hone from . . . oh . . . 20some years ago

I had to see if it still worked so I pulled out my bastard creation nel-spot, tore it down, grabbed an old drill and some oil and ran the hone down the barrel

it still works - that barrel is shiny now!

ApoC_101 05-29-2010 09:23 PM

flex hones are very handy. and still very much in use

Siress 05-30-2010 11:46 PM

No joke. Roller-burnishing, though...that's where it's at. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger, Hi-Speed, Low Drag, Teflon Coated...and that's before you anodize it red!

agentSmith 05-31-2010 09:29 AM

I'll put a barrel polished with the levigated Alumina Superfine Flexhone next to that barrel in an electron microscope, Siress:ROTFL:.

According to the electron microscope pics already taken by Brush Research, any irregularity in my barrel will be smaller than an air molecule is wide, good enough for me I guess!

Rob

Painthappy 05-31-2010 09:58 AM

Speaking of... While cleaning I found a NEW .62 caliber flex hone. :) No idea what I'll ever use it for, but I remember a barrel honing being on the list of things my old paintball field would do for you and having my barrel "honed" when it wouldn't shoot straight.

I was a kid and didn't know any better.

Siress 05-31-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentSmith (Post 1330436)
I'll put a barrel polished with the levigated Alumina Superfine Flexhone next to that barrel in an electron microscope, Siress:ROTFL:.

According to the electron microscope pics already taken by Brush Research, any irregularity in my barrel will be smaller than an air molecule is wide, good enough for me I guess!

Rob

I never trust a companies own research. Sometimes they're honest, but it's very rare. Besides, the biggest difference would be seen in the grains and grain boundaries. Using an optical microscope will show you the differences, so it's plenty large enough for air molecules. Roller burnishing really, SERIOUSLY, makes a harder, stronger, smoother bore.

Heh, that's a good one, Carter. 'Our paint sucks, what can we do?...Ah! Blame the barrel, and offer to fix it for more money!'

Arsenal 05-31-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siress (Post 1330473)
Heh, that's a good one, Carter. 'Our paint sucks, what can we do?...Ah! Blame the barrel, and offer to fix it for more money!'

Well, you gotta understand, that was popular back when the bores on almost all stock barrels were really, seriously, crap. If you had a local shop that could hone your barrel, you really could see quite an improvement. Once aftermarket barrels started becoming available for the popular guns, the procedure got less common, although it stuck around for a while as a budget option and for guns without a barrel aftermarket.

"Crowning" was another trick that seems stupid today but actually seemed to help a bit back in the day...

Now, the places that pushed "re-honing"... those guys were shady. ;)

Of course, even stock barrels on the cheapest guns are pretty decent now, compared to the early days. There's really no need for honing any modern barrel that I can think of...

Rap4paintball 05-31-2010 11:14 AM

I bought some small bore barrels and honed them to various sizes on the Sunnen hone at work. Made a nice little barrel kit for pretty cheap.

agentSmith 05-31-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siress (Post 1330473)
I never trust a companies own research. Sometimes they're honest, but it's very rare. Besides, the biggest difference would be seen in the grains and grain boundaries. Using an optical microscope will show you the differences, so it's plenty large enough for air molecules. Roller burnishing really, SERIOUSLY, makes a harder, stronger, smoother bore.

Heh, that's a good one, Carter. 'Our paint sucks, what can we do?...Ah! Blame the barrel, and offer to fix it for more money!'

I'm much more skeptical of people who disregard research arbitrarily, because of a pathological distrust of authority:ROTFL:
Seriously though, I look at the research and decide for myself. I guess if Roller burnishing makes a smoother surface than the L/A polishing hone(done perfectly right, it certainly CAN), then it's simply a question of which barrel is the most OVERqualified to be a paintball barrel. Once you get past a certain point it's 'good enough' not to notice more polishing.

However as the self centering, self tensioning flexhone can do it's job perfectly well in a hand drill held by Carter at the tailgate of a truck, I'll give it the edge in practicality and at less than $50 brand new today, they're still a deal.

It's funny, the airsmith kit only contained the 800AO fine and so that is all anyone I've ever talked to has seen, this gives a finish similar to modern barrels, so using it won't do much.
The special order SuperFine is as rare as AGD sixpacks and it's enough to make an obvious difference in modern barrels.


I'm more than satisfied to let people remain unconvinced and go on about my business, though!


I had a .50 cal hone set that i ordered to use on the brass barrels of my old 3357s, also.

Rob

Siress 05-31-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentSmith (Post 1330752)
...the airsmith kit...

I had a .50 cal hone set that i ordered to use on the brass barrels of my old 3357s, also.

Rob

Nice recovery. :p

What's "the airsmith kit" that you speak of? Was there an end-all list somewhere? I've always thought that a mans toolbox was indicative of his mind. A clean toolbox is an organized mind. That doesn't mean I like what it indicates of my mind, though. Scattered here and there, occasionally brought back in one place...but at least it's equipped for whatever life throws at it. Now where did that blasted tool go...?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC