mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Powertube problems galore. Leaking down the barrel from poor quality valves, sear wears out much faster than they ever did before....
Keep and clean up, make up, one of your old ones into what you want, don't waste time on the new one.
punkncat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have seen a new one with a cracked powertube which I can't help but feel wouldn't have happened on an old one, but I don't really know the circumstances to how it happened the owner claimed "it just happened".

I really have to keep my Model 98 (original not 98 Custom) working, I tried the BT guns when they first came out but, the trigger pull was just terrible, unless this has been fixed it doesn't seem like a viable alternative to me, but I am finicky with my trigger pull. What I don't understand is why it isn't exactly the same as the m98, I mean they are practically the same markers from a design standpoint. That being said I have yet to see a BT marker that didn't work, and that is pretty impressive.

Ironically though, The new Tippmann guns seem to have an even lighter and crisper trigger pull than my older one, a few weeks ago I tested a friends Alpha Black and I actually preferred it's trigger pull, even though I have to admit it did feel somehow "cheap" in comparison to what I expected.

Still in the world of Mechanical blowback semis available at Walmart I don't personally see anything better on the shelves.

This post reminds me though, I really should get my Tippmann .68 Special running again, there is nothing on the market that has the sort of feel that Tippy had, unfortunately my air line running between the backbottle and the valve has torn, and I don't think they make parts anymore.
sdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've got a new-age 98, never had a single issue with it. First marker I ever bought, bought it from Wal-mart, and went from there. Things still trucking fine, but I clean my gear religiously.

STAY AWAY FROM BT.

Its cheaply made plastic, breaks easy, and I'm not a fan at all. A lot of team-mates use them, and we've had tons of issue with grip screws shearing, or stripping. Powertube leaks seem abundant. A BT Combat is pretty much a 98. All internals are replaceable except they purposefully added an extra hole to the powertube to keep from being able to swap them with Tippman branded products.

Last edited by Rover; 09-30-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Why would you want to get a tippmann of all guns as your scenario gun? Scenarios usually involve long hours playing and carrying your marker, wouldnt a nice light weight marker make more sense in that situation? Even if you want the milsim look you can get it lighter than a tippmann with a body kit. The TM7 is a great example of this. Another option would be putting an ion inside an airsoft body. All the milsim look you could want with non of the weight of the tippmann brick.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Why would you want to get a tippmann of all guns as your scenario gun? Scenarios usually involve long hours playing and carrying your marker, wouldnt a nice light weight marker make more sense in that situation? Even if you want the milsim look you can get it lighter than a tippmann with a body kit. The TM7 is a great example of this. Another option would be putting an ion inside an airsoft body. All the milsim look you could want with non of the weight of the tippmann brick.
Actually, I'm going opposite. I'm a scenario baller, sure. I've done my fair share of big games, and I'm now a proud member of Blackwatch. However, I prefer standing out. Doing goofy stuff. I like to try to be that guy the people talk about after the game (but always in a positive manner). If I get an X7, the quintessential mil-sim gun, I'm gonna strip it as far down as it'll go. I take all the unnecessary stuff off, instead of piling it on. I'll also make it flashy.

That said, I have many reasons for choosing a Tippmann, especially a 98. My first gun that got regular use was a 98C. I've had many a good game with that gun. After moving on to various electros, mechs and pumps, for some reason, the length and balance of the 98 line still feels the best to me. They just feel like a paintball gun should. Also, Tippies really are the underdogs going into many a game, and I like the side of the underdog. I want people to go, "Holy crap, that's a Tippmann?" And from a practical standpoint, they aren't THAT bad. They're kinda long, sure, but they're not that heavy. From a guy who's shot brass, shoebox Shockers, Gen-E Matrices, Rainmakers and various other fun guns, the Tippy 98 really is a decent marker in the weight department. Modified and stripped down, it'll be even lighter.

All in all, I'm a fan.

And as a final thought, I'm not too sure I'm really worried about the internals issues I'm hearing about. Yeah, it's not as impressive as they used to be, but if something happens to my old 98, I'll be up a creek in terms of replacement parts. At least if the sear wears out, I can get a new one fairly easy. And I'll probably replace the internals with aluminum internals. Just 'cuz.

As stated earlier, I'm still a fan. Would like to try one out though...

Last edited by Magoo; 09-30-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
lol a Tippmann 98 is too heavy? My M98, Gas-thru-stock, and 12V revolution might weigh 5lbs at most. I think anyone who is in any reasonable shape can carry that for 8 hours.

I remember my old tournament setup back in the day weighed 18lbs with paint (Shocker 4x4, 18v shredder, Kapp drop zone, Air America Raptor 114/45, vert-maxflo, two pods on the tank cover, stainless barrel, etc). I don't know the weight of 12 pods but, I am sure it is alot too. That might be too much for playing really long games but, IDK I see people with such big setups in scenarios as well.

The fact of the matter is the largest factor of weight isn't the gun at all. It isn't. The tank, the hopper, the accessories, etc make a much bigger impact. IMO if you are concentrating on the marker for weight then you are focusing on the wrong thing.
sdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Bolt Action/Pistol Player

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I own an Original Model 98 (with the ribs), and a 1st Gen 98 Custom. Both work fine, every time. Beat the crap out of them regularly for 10+ years, and still they work fine. Beat up cosmetically, but VERY functional.

My son has a more recent 98 custom, but still pre-ACT, and it has functioned flawlessly for 5 years now.

When did the "change" in quality supposedly happen?

S.C.A.R. - The Simulated Combat Association of Rhode Island - S.C.A.R. on Facebook - My MCB Feedback - Meet "The Devil's Brass"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorman47 View Post
The devil's brass uses an evil sighting system powered by juju obtained from the deep and ominous laughter from the gun's owner himself.......seriously playing in a game against Born4Evil , and you see him sneaking your way, then BAM and all you hear is something to the effect of "Haha can't get away from the Devil's Brass!" Born4Evil seriously sounds like the devil himself, and its awesome. That gun is hands down the most badass gun in my mind.
Born4Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
TinMan

We use 98 Customs and Platinum Pro's in Xball for the last two years.
They have shot on average 20 cases a year each.

Customs: lube

Platinum: lube, replace sear pin.

The Platty sear pin was knurled on one end to assist it staying in
place when Tippmann introduced the split shells with the Platinum Pro.
The sear pin was a little too short and would on occasion bend.
Putting in a regular full length 98 pin fixed it.

Less important, the Platinum took me 20 minutes longer to center feed.

I can't say where the Platinum will be in 10 years like the Model 98 is,
but for abuse, it takes it as well in my experience.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
08sdekim

Brass N Wood Fan
Now you guys are making me want to break out my 98 and fix it up the way I've always dreamed.

Edit: I just managed to punch a section of the passenger side shell out directly where the front sight pin goes... I think it's going back in the closet...

Maybe I should just stay far far away from clam shells, they don't seem to like me very much.

Last edited by mikeds80; 09-30-2010 at 10:29 PM.
mikeds80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to All_My_Hate

the new 98s with the 3 piece shell are junk as far as the ACT neither of my guns have ever chopped paint both 98 customs w/ cyclone feed one is the R/T the other is the E-grip with the WAS board love both them never given me any problems

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone